Pat Curran has invested his prize money in his craft. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Pat Curran has won two $100,000 Bellator tournament prizes.

What’s he doing with all that dough? Not much. He bought a used car, but other than that, he’s using the money to focus on MMA full time.

“Financially I’m able to put all of my time and focus into the gym now,” Curran said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “That’s what I wanted. That was my goal. It’s really helping me evolve as a fighter.”

Curran completed his first run through a Bellator tournament in 2010. He defeated Mike Ricci, Roger Huerta and Toby Imada to win the season two lightweight tournament. Then to capture the 2011 Summer Series featherweight field, he beat Luis Palomino, Ronnie Mann and Marlon Sandro. In both tournaments he won three fights in three successive months -- a difficult task, to say the least.

“You’ve got to be really smart with your game plan,” Curran explained. “You’ve got to be very cautious too because you don’t want to get an injury in the first round. If you go in there and have a war and come out with a broken nose or a cut, now you have to do a training camp with that injury and then go into that next round with that injury. That’s the worst part about the tournament format, but I really like the format because you stay busy. You’re active. You don’t have much of a break. I really think you evolve as a fighter. You really see your level jump through that whole training camp and throughout the fights.”

Curran’s progression to this point hit its peak when he knocked out Sandro with a fantastic head kick.

“I watched a lot of footage on him, especially his last two fights in the tournament,” Curran said. “When he gets in exchanges, he starts swinging really wild, throws really heavy shots, but his chin’s wide open in the air. He really exposes himself that way. Especially when he’s bobbing and weaving or slipping punches, his hands aren’t by his chin. … We did notice that in his previous fights, but especially in the first round of our fight, I did notice he was dropping his hands a lot. He wasn’t protecting himself very well. I ended it with that head kick. I just timed it perfectly.”

It was a signature finish for the 23-year-old, who has won seven of his last eight fights. Perhaps more importantly, by beating another quality opponent like Sandro, Curran has entered the discussion when it comes to the top featherweights in the world.

“I definitely see myself hanging with the top featherweights if not beating them,” he said. “I definitely believe that I’m top five, top 10 in the world. My goal is to be number one. I’m going to keep going until I’m the best.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:21:00).

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 Results: Melvin Manhoef Adds to List of Career Knockout Wins

Melvin Manhoef earned his 28th career knockout with a first-round finish of Hisaki Kato at Bellator 146 in Thackerville, Okla. on Friday evening. read news >>

Bellator 146 video: Melvin Manhoef scores 28th knockout in 30th career win

One thing is nearly certain when Melvin Manhoef fights: You’re going to see a knockout – whether he’s on the giving or receiving end.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Video: Is Ronda Rousey's next career in boxing? Or jiu-jitsu? Or the WWE?

Ronda Rousey’s crossover appeal is bordering on the ridiculous at this point – in a great way for her and MMA. But down the road, she has her sights set on winning a boxing title, too. Filed under: F read news >>

Oscar De La Hoya Wants to Promote Ronda Rousey's Potential Boxing Career

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey stated this week that her future athletic goals extend beyond the octagon, including a potential foray into boxing. If that happens, former world champi read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Fight Path: Watching mom build back up helped inspire Sam Oropeza to MMA career

After Sam Oropeza finished his associate degree, moving from working on a power plant as a student to working at a New Jersey refinery, he got a taste of just how unpleasant the full-time working wor read news >>