Pat Curran has invested his prize money in his craft. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Pat Curran has won two $100,000 Bellator tournament prizes.

What’s he doing with all that dough? Not much. He bought a used car, but other than that, he’s using the money to focus on MMA full time.

“Financially I’m able to put all of my time and focus into the gym now,” Curran said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “That’s what I wanted. That was my goal. It’s really helping me evolve as a fighter.”

Curran completed his first run through a Bellator tournament in 2010. He defeated Mike Ricci, Roger Huerta and Toby Imada to win the season two lightweight tournament. Then to capture the 2011 Summer Series featherweight field, he beat Luis Palomino, Ronnie Mann and Marlon Sandro. In both tournaments he won three fights in three successive months -- a difficult task, to say the least.

“You’ve got to be really smart with your game plan,” Curran explained. “You’ve got to be very cautious too because you don’t want to get an injury in the first round. If you go in there and have a war and come out with a broken nose or a cut, now you have to do a training camp with that injury and then go into that next round with that injury. That’s the worst part about the tournament format, but I really like the format because you stay busy. You’re active. You don’t have much of a break. I really think you evolve as a fighter. You really see your level jump through that whole training camp and throughout the fights.”

Curran’s progression to this point hit its peak when he knocked out Sandro with a fantastic head kick.

“I watched a lot of footage on him, especially his last two fights in the tournament,” Curran said. “When he gets in exchanges, he starts swinging really wild, throws really heavy shots, but his chin’s wide open in the air. He really exposes himself that way. Especially when he’s bobbing and weaving or slipping punches, his hands aren’t by his chin. … We did notice that in his previous fights, but especially in the first round of our fight, I did notice he was dropping his hands a lot. He wasn’t protecting himself very well. I ended it with that head kick. I just timed it perfectly.”

It was a signature finish for the 23-year-old, who has won seven of his last eight fights. Perhaps more importantly, by beating another quality opponent like Sandro, Curran has entered the discussion when it comes to the top featherweights in the world.

“I definitely see myself hanging with the top featherweights if not beating them,” he said. “I definitely believe that I’m top five, top 10 in the world. My goal is to be number one. I’m going to keep going until I’m the best.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:21:00).

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Bellator Continues Global Expansion with Championship Fight in Israel

Bellator continues its global expansion under the leadership of company president Scott Coker with a November event in Israel. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Veta Arteaga Knows What She Signed Up for at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated flyweight Veta Arteaga knows what she signed up for at Bellator 161, and she's ready. read news >>

Derek Campos Expecting Explosive Fight with Djamil Chan at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Campos steps into a Bellator 161 lightweight bout against Djamil Chan on Friday, in what could very well end up being a title elimination bout. read news >>

Did Bellator Find Its Own Paige VanZant in Russian Flyweight Anastasia Yankova?

Anastasia Yankova is very pretty. It feels disingenuous to start anywhere else. It's always been a part of her story, even back to her amateur days at a tournament where no one would cheer for her. S read news >>