Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Motivated by ‘Great Challenge’ of UFC 156 Clash with Rashad Evans



Sidelined since December of last year, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is now set to return to the Octagon against Rashad Evans on Feb. 2 at UFC 156 in Las Vegas.

A member of the Florida-based Blackzilians camp, Evans is currently training with two of Nogueira’s former fellows, Vitor Belfort and Mario Sperry, who until recently were training with Team Nogueira. In a recent interview with Brazilian outlet Portal do Vale Tudo, Nogueira said he is unconcerned with any advantage that might come from his former training partners assisting his upcoming foe.

“We cannot worry about that. You have to worry about what we will do and not the opponent,” Nogueira said. “I’m studying a lot of his fights. He is heavy -- a very well-rounded guy. [He has] very good takedowns, good boxing, a dangerous right hand, and he kicks well. He's a very complete guy.”

Currently 36 years old, Nogueira relishes the challenge of fighting a foe like Evans. “Minotoro” was last seen dominating another former UFC light heavyweight champion in Tito Ortiz, finishing the Californian with brutal ground-and-pound to the body at UFC 140. The 11-year veteran now hopes he can repeat the trick against Evans and pick up his fourth Octagon victory.

“It will be a great challenge, and these are the challenges that make me train harder. I was unable to train [earlier this year] due to an injury on my knee, but challenges like this make me train harder and better, as I trained for the fight against Tito Ortiz,” said Nogueira. “It must be a really great challenge. I'm at a stage in my career, with my experience in making big fights, that this will be a great bout.”

Nogueira also commented on how he intends to reconcile the Evans training camp with his role as an assistant coach on the upcoming second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” which will see his brother, heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, serve as a head coach opposite Fabricio Werdum.

“In the beginning, there will be someone in my place,” said the light heavyweight. “Then, halfway through, I'll be back. This replacing coach thing [also] happened to [Junior dos Santos].”

Speaking of the UFC heavyweight champion, Nogueira believes that “Cigano” is even better for his second duel with Cain Velasquez, which takes places Dec. 29 at UFC 155.

“As always, [dos Santos is] well prepared. He is an example,” said Nogueira. “‘Cigano’ is athletic and was praised even before joining the UFC. He's in his best physical condition, and everybody can expect a very aggressive ‘Cigano.’”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 22 days ago
  • 77 views

Because Antonio Rogerio Nogueira was "expired" and Phil Davis was, well ... Phil Davis. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson has been watching fellow read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 4 views

It's been nearly a year since the UFC's former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos fought, but it looks like there could be a time and place for his return. As reported on UFC Tonight, a fight bet read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 0 views

After nine months away from the cage, Jose Maria Tome is ready to return. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 19 views

At the UFC 180 press conference, UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum will discuss their upcoming clash Tuesday afternoon. The two fighters will square off on Nov. 15 in Mexico read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

Metamoris has been getting bigger pretty consistently over the past year or so. From people who dabble in jiu-jitsu to hardcore grappling aficionados to dudes looking for some hipster fight-sport cre read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC welterweight Matt brown revealed on The Great MMA Debate podcast that he would be far more interested n a match-up against Carlos Condit that against Tyron Woodley. While Matt Brown is coming off read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC welterweight Demian Maia has been diagnosed with a bone infection and is indefinitely sidelined from fighting, according to a report on Wednesday evening. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 30 views

The UFC’s next Fight Night card goes down on September 5 at Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Connecticut, and has the potential to be 2014’s best fight card on free TV. A middleweight battle between Gegar read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC welterweight competitor Demian Maia has been sidelined with a serious bone injury that will force him to undergo a six-week antibiotics treatment through IVs. It has been an ill fated few weeks f read news >>