Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Won’t Fight Junior dos Santos But Still Wants Top Ten Opponents


Since defeating Tim Sylvia to win the UFC heavyweight title in 2008, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has alternated between wins and losses in the division.

A masterful performance has been followed up with a tough loss every time for Nogueira, but after having his arm shattered by Frank Mir at UFC 140 last year, the Brazilian legend returned to form with his own submission victory over Dave Herman on Saturday night.

Following the win, the questions of retirement kept coming at Nogueira, but he says that he’s still got time left in fighting, and he wants to spend it gunning for the best fighters in the UFC heavyweight division.

“I want to fight top ten guys. I want to fight the top guys in the UFC,” Nogueira told Fuel TV after his win at UFC 153.

One goal Nogueira doesn’t have in mind right now is going on a hunt for the UFC heavyweight title again. That belt is currently owned by close friend and student Junior dos Santos, and he has no plans of ever facing him, now or in the future.

“I can’t ask for the belt because my buddy, my training partner, he’s kind of my brother, Junior dos Santos, I’m going to help him in the next two weeks in his camp to fight against Cain (Velasquez),” said Nogueira.

Nogueira may serve as a de facto “gatekeeper” to the heavyweight division’s elite, and that’s fine by him because even though he won’t be fighting for gold, he’ll still be facing the best of the best.

“I want to be in the top ten, fighting the best guys, at least helping the sport in Brazil and be over there between the best guys in the heavyweight division,” said Nogueira.

There are a number of possible fights for Nogueira in the heavyweight division, but it remains to be seen who he will get matched up with next.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 5 days ago
  • 2 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the performance-base fighter bonuses from UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic following Saturday’s event in Phoenix. read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 44 views

Back in 2009, then-little-known Junior Dos Santos made his UFC debut and fought now-interim heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum at UFC 90. Few gave Dos Santos, a 4-1 underdog, much of a chance.Filed read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 8 views

The wait is over! Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos returns to mixed martial arts (MMA) this weekend (Sat., Dec. 13, 2014) with UFC on FOX 13 from ins read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 119 views

Check out Junior dos Santos vs. Fabricio Werdum full fight video to see dos Santos' memorable Octagon debut ahead of his UFC on FOX 13 main event against Stipe Miocic on Dec. 13 at U.S. Airways Cente read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 4 views

Dan Miller won’t be making his return to the Octagon this year. Expected to face Daniel Sarafian at UFC Fight Night 58 in Barueri, Brazil, on Dec. 20, Miller was removed from the card due to an undis read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 9 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is excited to return to action after being sidelined for 14 months against Stipe Miocic on Dec. 13. read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 1 views

It may sound strange to those who don’t fight for a living, but when all the training is over and it’s time to strap on the gloves and compete against another well-trained athlete for 15 or 25 minute read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 31 views

PHOENIX -- Junior dos Santos talks about his long layoff, changing teams, his fight against Stipe Miocic at UFC on FOX 13, his place in the division, and more. read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior Dos Santos hasn’t fought in nearly 14 months, but his drive hasn’t wavered one bit. And on the eve of his return, the Brazilian slugger wants to make his intentions clear.Filed under: Featured read news >>