Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva Ready for September; Will Face Overeem or Anyone Strikeforce Sees Fit


Antonio Silva

Current plans are in place for the next round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix to take place on Sept 10, but there’s only one problem…heavyweight champion and semifinalist Alistair Overeem doesn’t want to fight on that date.

In an interview with the MMA Hour on Monday, Overeem stated that he would not be ready in time for the proposed timeline of Sept 10 and even went as far as stating that there are other opportunities in other promotions if he’s replaced in the tournament.

His next opponent, Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva, has been training tirelessly and waiting since February to get back in the cage, and is more than ready for the September date.

Speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday from Brazil, Silva’s manager Alex Davis expressed desire for the fight with Overeem to remain on the card, but honestly was open to any challenge that Strikeforce put on the table.

“We’re comfortable with Overeem, we’re comfortable with anybody,” Davis stated.

“Whatever they want, we just want to fight. If they want to put (Josh) Barnett there that’s fine, they want Fedor (Emelianenko) again, that’s fine. We would rather fight Overeem cause he’s in the semifinals, that would be for everybody.”

Silva last fought when he stopped Fedor Emelianenko in the first round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix in February.

Overeem fought in June where he won a unanimous decision victory over Fabricio Werdum, but now it appears up in the air if he will fight in September or not.

“I find that it’s unfortunate and I don’t think that one fighter’s interest can be above anybody else’s,” Davis said about Overeem’s comments. “That’s the truth.”

It remains to be seen if Overeem will indeed remain in the tournament or if Zuffa officials and Strikeforce will opt to move forward with the Sept 10 date without their heavyweight champion’s involvement.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 8 views

Frank Mir has lost four in a row in the UFC, and he has a tough challenge ahead of him. The two-time heavyweight champion will meet Antonio Silva at UFC 184 on Feb. 28, which is a tall order to snap read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 47 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion, Frank Mir, is scheduled to return to mixed martial arts (MMA) action after a one-year hiatus when he collides with Antonio Silva at U read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 28 views

Two heavyweight legends collided in the Octagon at UFC 141 when former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar met former Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 24 views

And when you constantly fight the best in the world, picking up a win is easier said than done. After dropping four consecutive fights, many believed Frank Mir's time inside the Octagon was near an e read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 10 views

Former Strikeforce and Dream heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem came into his UFC on FOX 13 bout with Stefan Struve in major need of a victory. Overeem, after all, had been knocked out in three ou read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 17 views

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida proved he is still a top contender in the middleweight division, taking out CB Dollaway in just 62 seconds via body kick this past Saturday night ( read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 104 views

Apparently UFC light heavyweight champ and pound-for-pound kingpin Jon Jones believes in superstition—particularly when it pertains to his pre-fight rituals. "I would never bring my belt out to the c read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 0 views

Tony Evinger believes she's already taken out Invicta FC's top bantamweights, and sees her fight with Cindy Dandois on Saturday as something to keep her busy. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

If former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar decides he wants to return to mixed martial arts, Bellator MMA president Scott Coker is interested in signing him. read news >>

Jump to: