Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

Since losing the lightweight championship to Anthony Pettis, Ben Henderson has strung together a pair of wins. He hopes to make it three in a row when he takes on injury replacement Rafael dos Anjos read news >>

She's wearing 4 oz. gloves but the critics are already circling the oft-injured champ. read news >>

Benson Henderson isn't always exciting these days, but he's always imposing. BE's striking specialist Connor Ruebusch breaks down the rough 'em up, cage-based clinch game of the former WEC and UFC ch read news >>

MMAmania.com resident fighter analyst Andrew Richardson breaks down the mixed martial arts (MMA) games of UFC Fight Night 49 headliners Ben Henderson and Rafael dos Anjos, who look to take another st read news >>

"He's a stubborn kid and that's why he's a champion. Nothing affects him. You could throw him in the freezer for 30 minutes before he fought and he'd fight the same way." --John Crouch, longtime coac read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held its weigh in event earlier today (Fri., Aug. 22, 2014) at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma for those fighters competing at the UFC Fight Night 49: "Henderso read news >>

A lightweight contest featuring former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson against Rafael dos Anjos rounds up the mixed martial arts (MMA) doubleheader action this weekend (Sat., Aug. 23, 2014) read news >>

That stoppage will be debated for some time. The headlining bout at tonight's (Sat., Aug. 23, 2014) UFC Fight Night 49: "Henderson vs. Dos Anjos" event at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, featured read news >>

Leading into their UFC Fight Night 49 main event at Tulsa's BOK Center, Rafael dos Anjos seemed all but an afterthought. Most thought he was simply there to provide Benson Henderson the forum to make read news >>