Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

UFC Tonight provided an update on lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov’s knee injury and why he intends to face champion Anthony Pettis in the near future. While it is common knowledge that Khabib Nurmago read news >>

Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson revealed on UFC Tonight that he is interested in one more fight at lightweight before attempting a move to welterweight. While pundits have always cla read news >>

At the UFC 181 press conference, Johny Hendricks, Robbie Lawler, Anthony Pettis, and Gilbert Melendez will discuss their upcoming fights on Dec. 6 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.The U read news >>

One of the UFC's most intriguing lightweight contenders, Khabib Nurmagomedov, is now targeting a February return to action after tearing the meniscus in his right knee this past summer -- but the roa read news >>

Remember when former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight titleholder Ben Henderson wanted to move up to 170 pounds for a "super fight" against Georges St. Pierre? Well, that isn't happen read news >>

• 2032 views

Maybe that explains why Anthony Pettis brought extra security to the filming of TUF 20. If Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight titleholder Anthony Pettis was intimidated by Nate Diaz, wh read news >>

Ahead of tonight’s 20th season premiere of “The Ultimate Fighter,” MMAjunkie spoke to UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis about coaching on the show. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, read news >>

At the tail end of the UFC 181 presser on Friday, despite their respect for one another, you could cut the tension between Anthony Pettis and Gilbert Melendez with a knife. read news >>

UFC lightweight champ Anthony Pettis is more than happy to kick Nate Diaz’s ass, but he’s having a hard time understanding why the scrappy 209er didn’t speak up when he had his chance.Filed under: Fe read news >>