Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

• submit to reddit
Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis has been announced as newest member of Team Wheaties. The UFC has been making a concentrated effort to become as mainstream as possible. We're seeing a much more saturated market, strides toward global expansion, and big name corporate sponsorship. It wasn't too long ago that the acquisition of Bud Light and Harley Davidson sponsorships by the organization as a whole was big news. Recently though, we've seen athletes like Jon Jones, Anderson Silva and Jun more

Wheaties announced on Tuesday that Pettis is the latest athlete to be named to "Team Wheaties," the exclusive set of athletes associated with the popular breakfast cereal. more

Wheaties, the breakfast of champions with sports tie-ins and endorsements since 1927, has added a UFC champion to its team of athletes.Filed under: News, UFC more

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis is the newest member of the Reebok family. Pettis confirmed the deal to MMAFighting.com on Monday. The young titleholder will now join fellow mixed martial artists Johny Hendricks and Rampage Jackson as fighters to secure sponsorships with the blue-chip sneaker and apparel company. "It's cool that they chose me," Pettis said. "I'm sure they had a lot of guys they could've chose from and they wanted to choose me. For me, it's an amazing opportunity. "I defi more

After languishing on the sidelines for over half a year, Anthony Pettis is finally back in gym. The UFC's exciting but injury prone lightweight champion, who pulled out of a December 2013 title defense against Josh Thomson due to a torn the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his left knee, was cleared to return to full contact training at Milwaukee's Roufusport academy last week. "I feel good," Pettis told MMAFighting.com. "I had my first kicking session on [Wednesday]. The doctor said (it wou more

According to Reebok executive John Lynch, the company wanted to partner with an athlete “who had explosive speed, and bold, confident style.” Enter Anthony Pettis.Filed under: News, UFC more

Anthony Pettis has been sidelined from fighting since capturing the UFC lightweight crown last August, but that hasn’t prevented his blue-chip sponsorship portfolio from expanding. more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

On Monday, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and former Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez began filming the twentieth season of The Ultimate Fighter in Las Vegas, NV. While the show has, in large part, become formulaic and stale, especially after a recent listless nineteenth season, this upcoming iteration at least promises a few fresh caveats, as it will not only introduce a brand new weight class to UFC audiences -- the women's 115-pound division -- but it will also crown a new ch more