Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

If you’re expecting tension between UFC lightweight champ Anthony Pettis and Gilbert Melendez on “The Ultimate Fighter 20,” you’re going to be disappointed, according to Melendez. Filed under: Featur read news >>

Meanwhile, Ben Henderson lost his No. 1 Lightweight ranking after getting stopped in the first round by "RDA" in Tulsa. The official Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) rankings have been updated fo read news >>

Following his shock KO over Ben Henderson, Rafael dos Anjos can now call himself one of the top 3 contenders at lightweight. It was a good weekend to be Brazilian, as Rafael dos Anjos, Thales Leites, read news >>

This is how UFC lightweight Beneil Dariush illustrates his disdain for losing, which might explain why he would pass up the biggest opportunity of his career for a rematch.Filed under: Featured Video read news >>

Watch the UFC 177 Fight Club Q&A featuring lightweight champ Anthony Pettis and bantamweight contender Urijah Faber streaming live on Friday at 5 p.m. ET. read news >>

SACRAMENTO – Prior to today’s UFC 177 fighter weigh-ins, you can watch a live video stream of the UFC Fight Club Q&A session with UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and Sacramento-based standout read news >>

At the UFC 177 Q&A on Friday afternoon, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and Urijah Faber will answer questions from the fans. The video above will begin at 5 p.m. ET. read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is kicking off the UFC 177 weigh in event (full results and video here) with a special "Fight Club" Q&A video featuring reigning UFC lightweight champion (and TUF read news >>

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis ended up hearing after the fact that Nate Diaz wants a piece of him. Diaz was an assistant coach on Gilbert Melendez's team on The Ultimat read news >>