Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

The next UFC Lightweight title challenger is full of confidence for his upcoming match against "Showtime." Rafael dos Anjos is sure that he will become the UFC Lightweight champion on March 14, at UF read news >>

Bold statement from the scrappy Brazilian. Rafael dos Anjos earned his way to a shot at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis, by reeling of three straight wins in read news >>

Benson Henderson has a big fight with Donald Cerrone on Sunday night. But after that? Things are up in the air. The former UFC lightweight champion still has plans at making another run at that belt. read news >>

Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson didn't live up to their first two WEC fights, but Cerrone pulled out a unanimous decision win. The glory days of the WEC were revisited tonight, but the fight might n read news >>

Donald Cerrone was out to prove that he was a different fighter under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner than he was with World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC), where he dropped two bouts to read news >>

CM Punk will prepare for his MMA career close to home. The former WWE superstar has decided on Roufusport as the gym he will train at to get ready for his first UFC fight, according to UFC president read news >>

CM Punk has decided where to have his training camps, joining Roufusport to train alongside UFC champ Anthony Pettis and Ben Askren. CM Punk has chosen a fight team, and according to Dana White, the read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has booked Anthony Pettis for his second lightweight title defense against streaking division No. 1 contender Rafael dos Anjos, for the upcoming UFC 185 pay-per-v read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos will get the next shot at the lightweight title when he challenges reigning champion Anthony Pettis at UFC 185 in Dallas. read news >>