Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

Countdown to UFC 181 takes you behind-the-scenes and into the training camps of lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and challenger Gilbert Melendez. read news >>

Anthony Pettis defeated Benson Henderson to claim the UFC lightweight title in an impressive first-round submission victory in August 2013. He'll step in to defend his title on Dec. 6—462 days after read news >>

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and his special brand of off-the-cage striking will likely be on display at Saturday’s UFC 181 event. It’ll basically look nothing like this amateur MMA fight. read news >>

On the second episode of UFC 181 Embedded, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis muses on his upcoming fight and the big-city sights during a media day in New York City. read news >>

With the entire sport of MMA in a never-ending search for mainstream acceptance, a ho-hum event for the NBA or NFL can warm the UFC to its bones. Well, the UFC is feeling snug as a bug in a rug right read news >>

Did you miss Sunday’s debut of “Countdown to UFC 181,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the full segment devoted to UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and fellow co-headliner Gilbert Me read news >>

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis discusses why he doesn’t see Gilbert Melendez as a threat to his title. Following a 17-month absence from the octagon, Anthony Pettis is eager to display his s read news >>

There's no denying Anthony "Showtime" Pettis is a special brand of fighter with a unique set of skills. Even going back several years before Showtime ever became a WEC or UFC champion, the Milwaukee read news >>

It's a rare championship double-dip this weekend (Sat., Dec. 6, 2014) when Welterweight kingpin, Johnny Hendricks, and Lightweight leader, Anthony Pettis, defend their titles (each for the first time read news >>