Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

For the first time in Jose Aldo’s five-year reign as the best 145-pound fighter on the planet, there is a line of contenders waiting to take him out.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former UFC and WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson meets former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez in a January 18th co-main event. It's been an extremely busy day filled with UFC fight a read news >>

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is doing former Bellator MMA Lightweight champion, Eddie Alvarez, no favors. Alvarez, who dropped his long-await read news >>

UFC lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov is ready to prove he’s more accessible to U.S. fans than his name might indicate.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Duke Roufus has his hands full prepping UFC lightweight Anthony Pettis for a showdown with Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181, but he and his team are currently on the receiving end of a barrage of negative read news >>

UFC bantamweight Sergio Pettis, younger brother of lightweight champion Anthony Pettis, will clash with Matt Hobar at UFC 181 on Dec. 6. Pettis comes into the contest a winner, scoring a unanimous-de read news >>

• a day ago

Roufusport star pupil and UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has managed to avoid being roped into much of the controversy surrounding his camp this week. After the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel pu read news >>

• 23 hours ago

UFC Lightweight champion Anthony Pettis defends longtime coach Duke Roufus from the recent accusations levelled against him. After details began to arise regarding Denis Munson Jr., a Roufusport kick read news >>

• 19 hours ago

Duke Roufus and the environment at his Roufusport gym have been surrounded by controversy ever since the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel released an investigative piece on the death of kickboxer Dennis Mu read news >>

Jump to: