Anthony Pettis on Ben Henderson: “I've got what it takes to beat this guy"

Picture
Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) who is next in line to go against UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) probably know UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) better than anyone in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, as he fought him at WEC 53 in an exciting five-round bout on December 16, 2010 in Glendale, Arizona. This match-up made its mark in most MMA fans’ hearts and still everybody talks about it. Pettis, as you probably remember, took the title away from the former WEC champ and landed his signature “Showtime kick” which almost ended the fight and additionally the fight got “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year (2010)” award.

After watching “Smooth”s split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at the recent UFC on Fox 7, “Showtime” wasn't that impressed.

"I'm moving down for Jose Aldo, really... There's nobody in 145 that intrigues me." Pettis said.

About the split decision win he said: "That's hard to call...I just wasn't that impressed…It was another close decision. I think Henderson's last finish was “Cowboy” (Donald Cerrone) in the WEC. For me, (Benson Henderson) a great fighter, but I feel like I've got what it takes to beat this guy."

Still Pettis recognizes Melendez skills: “Then you've got to take into account that Gilbert is one of the best lightweights in the world. It's hard for me to watch that and say, it was a close fight, because they're both good. I come in to finish my fights, and I've proven it in my last two fights, and I can't wait to do it again."

I know guys that you want a rematch, who wouldn’t?

From Around the Web

Tyron Woodley talks about training alongside lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and using all of the tools in his arsenal to beat Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 183. read news >>

Two weeks from now, Ben Henderson will be moving up to welterweight to headline a show against Brandon Thatch. Shortly after his contested decision loss against his friend in Donald Cerrone, former U read news >>

Here's that "big announcement" you were looking for. Donald Cerrone should sue for royalties. Ben Henderson is taking a page out of the "Cowboy" playbook and stepping up on short notice to battle 170 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 60 headliner Ben Henderson has asked for many late-replacement fights in the past, but he says that they always seem to go to Donald Cerrone. Ben Henderson is making his welterweight read news >>

UFC strawweight prospect Paige VanZant has signed her own Reebok contract. VanZant joins fellow UFC fighters Anthony Pettis, Johny Hendricks, Ronda Rousey, Jon Jones and Conor McGregor as the only cu read news >>

Ben Henderson always dreamed about testing himself at 170 pounds. Now's his chance. "Smooth" will battle welterweight wunderkind Brandon Thatch in the UFC Fight Night 60 mixed martial arts (MMA) main read news >>

Toniiiiiight, is your night bro. Ben Henderson steps up on short notice to battle 170-pound wunderkind Brandon Thatch in tonight's (Sat., Feb. 14, 2015) UFC Fight Night 60 mixed martial arts (MMA) ev read news >>

Ben Henderson was giving up a lot of size, but he showed why he's one of the best in the game with with fourth round submission win over Brandon Thatch at UFC Fight Night 60. Ben Henderson came into read news >>

Former Lightweight champion, Ben Henderson, tried his hand at Welterweight last night (Feb. 14, 2015) -- on short notice no less -- against Brandon Thatch in the main event of UFC Fight Night 60, whi read news >>