Anthony Pettis has been here before.

After knocking Donald Cerrone on Saturday at UFC on Fox 6, he appears ready for a title shot in his next bout. Of course, UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson has to fight Gilbert Melendez first, and you never know what could happen when they meet in April.

“Honestly, I don’t care [who wins] as long as we don’t have a decision that’s close,” Pettis told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Somebody finish the fight so we’ll have a champ that I can fight.”

Pettis was supposed to fight the winner of the January 2011 title bout between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. When it ended as a draw, though, a rematch was scheduled and Pettis took a bout in the meantime. He lost that bout -- a decision to Clay Guida -- and has been working his way back up the ladder ever since.

“At this point, the belt’s been avoiding me,” said Pettis, who has won three straight since losing to Guida. “I’m tired of chasing after it. I’m tired of waiting and putting my career on hold. I just turned 26. I think I’m going to be entering my prime here in the next couple of years. I want to take full advantage of that. … I just want to make sure that it’s official and no matter what happens [between Henderson and Melendez] -- a draw, a close decision, no one’s going to cry about the decision -- that I’m next no matter what.”

Pettis has been especially impressive in his last two fights. He knocked out Joe Lauzon in February 2012 with a head kick and punches before finishing Cerrone on Saturday with a devastating kick to the body.

“I hit him with the first body kick and I caught him reaching for a punch, and that’s the worst time to get hit,” Pettis said. “Your body’s fully extended. You’re not expecting to get hit. I caught him with the first one and I could tell in his face right away that he was hurt, but he’s one of them guys that’s still dangerous. You could tell in the Melvin Guillard fight. Guillard rocked him pretty bad and just got caught being sloppy. I didn’t want to get caught being sloppy, so I just told myself to take my time.”

Cerrone absorbed the next kick and dropped. Pettis knew the fight was over.

“Your body shuts down,” Pettis said when asked what it’s like getting kicked in the liver. “You can’t do anything. Your mind’s still working and you know you want to fight back, and being at this level I’m sure he wanted to fight back, but when you get hit like that and that clean, your body just shuts down. You literally can’t do anything. It’s a sucky feeling because you’re fully conscious. I think it’s worse than a knockout because you’re fully conscious. You know what’s going on, but you just can’t fight back.”

It was the kind of performance the UFC likes to see before granting a fighter a title shot. Pettis found some flaws in his game, however. In particular, he said he pushed his punches in a couple of the exchanges and was also lifting his elbow. He’ll look to fix those mistakes in anticipation of finally getting a crack at the gold.

“Little things like that, I’ve got to clean up,” he said. “If I’m going to be the champion, I’ve got to have a flawless, flawless performance.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:21:28).

Anthony Pettis' goal? Dominate Eddie Alvarez, 'make my case for title shot'

BOSTON – Anthony Pettis got a taste of life as a UFC champion, and now he wants more.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC co-headliner Anthony Pettis sucks at kicking cans off his brother's head

Anthony Pettis is a day away from his UFC Fight Night 81 co-headliner, but he’s finding ways to stay loose.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis returns to the Octagon for the first time since losing his belt last March against Eddie Alvarez at UFC Fight Night 81. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded Video Preview: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Go behind the scenes during the fight camps of former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and top contender Eddie Alvarez as the two prepare do to battle on Jan. 17. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Eddie Alvarez edges Anthony Pettis by split decision

BOSTON – Eddie Alvarez made it his mission to get in close against Anthony Pettis and get him to the floor, even if at times it meant stalling out against the fence.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: Eddie Alvarez Stuffs Anthony Pettis, Wants Title Shot

Eddie Alvarez may not have made it the most exciting of fights, but he defeated Anthony Pettis in Boston, and then called for a title shot. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez: UFC Fight Night 81 Winner, Scorecard, Reaction

Sunday's lightweight showdown between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez wasn't a title fight, but it felt like one. Alvarez captured the victory by split decision in a back-and-forth affair at UFC Fig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Video Highlights: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Watch the video highlights of the UFC Fight Night 81 co-main event between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81: Eddie Alvarez vs. Anthony Pettis video highlights

The decision may have been controversial, but Eddie Alvarez will happily take his UFC Fight Night 81 win over Anthony Pettis.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>