Anthony Pettis Still Holding Out Hope to Face Nate Diaz Next


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit


Former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis is still waiting on word about his next fight, but he’s still holding out hope it will be against Nate Diaz.

Pettis will return to action most likely in September after shoulder surgery put him on the sidelines for a few months, but he’s healthy and looking to target the top of the lightweight division.

Since a title shot will allude him once again, Pettis’ hope is to land a fight with Diaz, fresh off his win over Jim Miller at UFC on Fox 3.

Currently, Diaz has stated he will sit and wait for the winner of the bout between champion Benson Henderson and Frankie Edgar at UFC 150 in Denver, but Pettis’ manager Mike Roberts of MMA Inc. isn’t sold on the Stockton, Calif. sitting and waiting for the better part of 9 or 10 months.

“We all know that everybody can change their minds, I believe that’s the fight that makes the most sense,” Roberts told MMAWeekly Radio on Tuesday. “I can’t imagine Nate Diaz would want to sit out as long as he’s going to have to, to fight, just to wait to fight.

“I think Nate Diaz is a fighter before a guy that wants to be a champion. Waiting is his choice and his prerogative. I can’t see him wanting to wait.”

Pettis and his manager both want to make something crystal clear however. They aren’t calling for a fight with Nate Diaz to make some kind of personal beef. It’s all about getting a lightweight title shot, and if Pettis can’t get Benson Henderson, then he wants the next guy standing in the way.

That just so happens to be Nate Diaz.

“It’s not that Anthony wants to fight Nate Diaz for any other reason than Dana saying he’s the No. 1 contender. If we can’t get the guy with the title, that’s the next guy in line. So it’s definitely not a personal thing with Nate,” Roberts stated.

“It’s that Nate’s next in line and Anthony feels he should be the No. 1 contender.”

While the preference for Pettis’ return fight to the Octagon would be Nate Diaz, his management team won’t cry over spilled milk if they don’t get it. They’ll just move on to the next challenge with a hope that a lightweight title shot will soon be offered to the last fighter to defeat current champion Benson Henderson.

“At the end of the day if it’s not Nate Diaz, we’ll take whoever’s next who’s available to fight,” said Roberts.

Pettis is getting back into full training mode currently and expects to land on a card coming up in September, although no date for his return has been confirmed yet.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 35 views

On Monday, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and former Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez began filming the twentieth season of The Ultimate Fighter in Las Vegas, NV. While the show has, in large part, become formulaic and stale, especially after a recent listless nineteenth season, this upcoming iteration at least promises a few fresh caveats, as it will not only introduce a brand new weight class to UFC audiences -- the women's 115-pound division -- but it will also crown a new ch more

  • 8 days ago
  • 17 views

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis talks about coaching TUF 20, his first title defense and his campaign to get on a Wheaties box. more

  • 7 days ago
  • 39 views

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis discussed his time on the sidelines recovering from a PCL injury, as well as his upcoming title fight against Gilbert Melendez. Anthony Pettis may not feel the urge to endlessly defend himself on twitter but he does admit that the recent criticism directed at him has certainly gotten on his nerves.
The UFC lightweight champion has been out of action for the better part of the last year since defeating Benson Henderson via submission to win the championship more

  • 27 days ago
  • 16 views

Myles Jury has been vocal in his criticism of Nate Diaz this week, but it doesn't seem he's had to wait long to find out who his next opponent will be. After calling out Nate Diaz earlier this week for not signing to a supposed fight offer, Myles Jury (14-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will apparently face another veteran of the division instead.
According to Fox Sports, the Alliance MMA product is being lined up to face former PRIDE FC lightweight champion Takanori Gomi (35-9 (1 NC) MMA, 4-4 UFC) at the Saita more

  • 8 days ago
  • 86 views

Anthony Pettis will return to the octagon to defend his UFC lightweight title against Gilbert Melendez in December.
Anthony Pettis will return to UFC action this December on what could be a massive card.
The UFC lightweight champion announced on yesterday's edition of The MMA Hour that he will be facing Gilbert Melendez on December 6 in Las Vegas. That event, which appears as though it will be UFC 181, still doesn't have a venue set as of now.
However, the December 6 date is also the event that more

  • 14 days ago
  • 23 views

Miller becomes the latest lightweight to voice his displeasure at the lack of title fights in the 155-pound weight class. Lorenzo Fertitta, you have Jim Miller on line one.
Much has been made about the lack of title defenses in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight division due to fact that Anthony Pettis has been on the sidelines with a knee injury.
After former division kingpin Ben Henderson voiced his displeasure with the lack of title defenses since he lost the title to "Showt more

  • 9 days ago
  • 8 views

Anthony Pettis will defend his UFC lightweight title December 6 against top contender Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181.
The fight will be Pettis' first title defense. For that matter, it's the first bout of any kind for "Showtime" since he won the belt from Benson Henderson last August at UFC 164.
Pettis himself broke the news Monday while a guest on The MMA Hour broadcast with host Ariel Helwani. "December 6 is going to be the date of my next fight; it'll be out here in Vegas," Pettis said. "I got w more

  • 29 days ago
  • 34 views

On Saturday, WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje meets fellow undefeated fighter Nick Newell in the promotion’s first event to air on NBC. Watch the full video of Gaethje’s destruction of Dan Lauzon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos, WSOF more

  • 28 days ago
  • 35 views

Well, here’s a new one. WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje wants to lose to Nick Newell on Saturday. Sort of. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos, WSOF more