Anthony Pettis at WEC 48Anthony Pettis had to hear the news like everyone else recently that former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez would get the next crack at Benson Henderson and the UFC lightweight title.

Since defeating Henderson in the final WEC fight to close out 2010, Pettis has been waiting for a shot at the belt, only to have delays, rematches and now other opponents step in the way of him receiving his long awaited crack at the title.

Now just days away from his fight against Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone at UFC on Fox 6 in Chicago, Pettis is done waiting around for the title shot to be given to him. He’s ready to take what’s his and it starts with his next fight.

“Me and Duke (Roufus) just had this discussion last night. You hear all the stories and I have friends texting me that Eddie Alvarez is going to get a title shot, or (Gilbert Melendez) is going to get a title shot. I mean, I’m to the point where I’ve just got to prove it,” Pettis told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“Line them up and I’m going to knock them down until I get that title shot. That’s the ultimate goal, but right now it’s winning fights. I need to focus on this next opponent in front of me and win these fights until they can’t deny me the shot.”

Pettis was supposed to get a shot at the UFC lightweight title when he first got to the promotion after having beat Henderson in the WEC, but when Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard fought to a draw, their rematch pushed him back in line.

The former WEC champion then lost a close decision to Clay Guida before he reeled off two more wins, including a head kick knockout of Joe Lauzon at UFC 144. The stage seemed set for Pettis to then get his crack at the title after Benson Henderson won the belt on that same card, putting the two together for what most thought was an inevitable rematch.

Unfortunately, the UFC decided to give former champion Frankie Edgar an immediate rematch so again Pettis went on the shelf awaiting his chance to fight for the belt.

Now Pettis will face Cerrone at UFC on Fox 6 while Henderson gears up to face Melendez three months from now at UFC on Fox 7, and again the former champion waits on the sidelines for the title shot.

The heart of the problem according to Pettis isn’t that a more worthy contender is getting the shot. He believes the two fighters that have faced the toughest competition over the last couple of years are fighting at UFC on Fox 6.

“If you look at all the guys you mentioned and the competition they’re fighting, me and Cowboy are the guys that have been fighting the hardest competition. I mean, we’re in the UFC with the best of the best; we’re in the trenches,” said Pettis.

“You’ve got the two best guys in the UFC. I feel like me and Cowboy are right at the top, and the winner of this fight should be next in line for a title shot.”

Traditionally, Pettis has let his fighting style speak for itself and he leaves trash talk and demands to other fighters. Now he’s ready to tell the world that it’s his time and the title shot should be his, but he’ll gladly back it up with his performance at UFC on Fox 6.

“No more Mr. Nice Guy. I sat there and tried to play that role, ‘oh the title shot’s going to come I’m going to sit and wait for it.’ I’m taking it this time. I’m going for it. I’m going to take this title shot,” Pettis stated.

“I’m going to get my title shot; I’m going to get the respect I deserve.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC on Fox 6 news and fight coverage.

Twitter, including Max Holloway, reacts to Anthony Pettis missing weight for UFC 206 title fight

• a day ago

The UFC 206 fight card underwent another major change today when headliner Anthony Pettis came in three pounds overweight for Saturday’s title fight with Max Holloway. Check out the reactions.Filed u read news >>

UFC 206 staff picks: Is anyone picking Anthony Pettis to halt Max Holloway's momentum?

• a day ago

The UFC’s second of back-to-back shows goes down Saturday with a pay-per-view return to Toronto. Check out our picks for the main card inside.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Who's jacking whose style? UFC's Max Holloway says he does it better than Anthony Pettis

• a day ago

TORONTO – Max Holloway is not happy with fellow UFC 206 headliner Anthony Pettis, who recently implied that his opponent has borrowed from Pettis’ own fighting style.Filed under: Featured Videos, New read news >>

UFC 206 ceremonial weigh-in gallery and video highlights – with a few boos for Anthony Pettis

• a day ago

TORONTO – Check out all of the photos and video highlights from today’s UFC 206 ceremonial weigh-ins.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Francis Ngannou's surprising submission of Anthony Hamilton at UFC Fight Night 102

• a day ago

Francis Ngannou further legitimized himself as a future UFC heavyweight contender on Saturday when he scored a first-round submission victory of Anthony Hamilton in the UFC Fight Night 102 co-main ev read news >>

Pettis misses weight; fight still on vs. Holloway

• a day ago

Anthony Pettis missed weight by three pounds Friday ahead of his second attempt to make the featherweight limit, but will still face Max Holloway in the main event of UFC 206. Click for more details. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' ugly TKO win over Shamil Abdurakhimov at UFC Fight Night 102

• a day ago

Derrick Lewis was triumphant in his first UFC main event, but it was hardly pretty. See how social media reacted.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway: The Complete Breakdown at UFC 206

• 22 hours ago

While the UFC had to bend over backward to make the featherweight fight between Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis that now headlines UFC 206 an interim title bout, the promotion's machinations do nothi read news >>

UFC 206: Holloway vs. Pettis Fight Card, TV Info, Predictions and More

• 16 hours ago

The featherweight showdown between Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis tops the bill at UFC 206 on what should be a fascinating night at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Saturday night. The bout was i read news >>

Holloway vs. Pettis: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 206

• 13 hours ago

Anthony Pettis can't win the interim featherweight title when he faces Max Holloway at UFC 206 in Toronto on Saturday after the former missed weight during Friday's weigh-in. Pettis came up three pou read news >>