Anthony Pettis at WEC 48Anthony Pettis realized a childhood dream securing the UFC ‘ightweight title with a first-round submission victory over Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in Milwaukee on Saturday night, but it could come at a cost after the new champ felt his knee pop in the opening moments of the fight.

“This is actually my other knee,” Pettis said on the UFC post-fight show on Fox Sports 2. “My right knee was my ACL tear, but I went to check a kick early in the first round and it hit me right in the middle of a groove and I felt my knee just pop.

“I felt it go back and forth, so I don’t know what happened yet. Hopefully it’s not something big and just a bruise, but I will wait until I get my MRI done.”

Despite recent injuries that forced the 26-year-old out of a fight with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, Pettis was 100-percent fit coming into Saturday night’s fight and is happy to revisit the idea of fighting Aldo. He’s even happy to drop down to featherweight to make it happen.

“I was 100-percent healthy, but I didn’t have a full camp. I only had a six week camp,” Pettis revealed. “I went from training 100 percent, took four weeks off, I was depressed. I didn’t know whether I would ever be champ.”

But now that he is the UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis set his sights on a higher goal.

“I’m here to prove I’m the best in the world. If Aldo wants to fight me, let’s make it happen.”

(Follow @AndrewMMA_ on Twitter)

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3: Team Liddell vs. Team Griffin Cast Revealed

The UFC revealed the cast for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3: Team Liddell vs. Team Griffin on Tuesday. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Team Liddell vs Team Griffin cast revealed

Team Liddell and Team Griffin are composed of 16 lightweight Latin American fighters that will challenge each other to find out who will be the Season 3 winner of The Ultimate Fighter® Latin America read news >>

Ronda Rousey Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Recovery from Knee Surgery

Ronda Rousey may not return until 2017 because of knee surgery, according to UFC President Dana White. On Thursday, White said on SportsCenter (via Yahoo Sports' Andreas Hale) that Rousey had the pro read news >>

Luke Rockhold’s Knee Cleared for UFC 199 Main Event

Some eyebrows shot up when Luke Rockhold said that he has been training with a torn MCL. The CSAC on Friday examined Rockhold and cleared his knee. read news >>

UFC 199 Results: Beneil Dariush Obliterates James Vick with Violent Left Hand KO

Beneil Dariush (13-2) took care of James Vick’s misleading undefeated record with a devastatingly beautiful knockout at UFC 199 in Los Angeles. Fox Sports shared the replay: Vick (9-1) was 5-0 in the read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments and Reaction

Late last year, Brock Lesnar said he felt he got "robbed" by diverticulitis that cost him the prime of his UFC career. Now, as he prepares for a one-off return at UFC 200, Lesnar's ready to prove to read news >>

Former Lightweight Champ Anthony Pettis Moving to the Featherweight Division

After losing three consecutive bouts, former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis plans to make the move down to the featherweight division. read news >>

Anthony Pettis' Move to Featherweight Is an Opportunity for Reinvention

Former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis has hit the MMA equivalent of a brick wall in the last 15 months. Showtime, the sure-thing future star who graced a Wheaties box and inspired a whole se read news >>

UFC Fight Night Ottawa Video: Stephen Thompson – Rise of Wonderboy

After tearing every ligament in his left leg while competing a professional kickboxer, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson was told he may never fight again. read news >>

How Stephen Thompson felt when he found out he was fighting his friend (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Thompson thought he was in line for a shot at the welterweight title. Instead, he has to fight Rory MacDonald. read news >>