Anthony Pettis at WEC 48Anthony Pettis realized a childhood dream securing the UFC ‘ightweight title with a first-round submission victory over Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in Milwaukee on Saturday night, but it could come at a cost after the new champ felt his knee pop in the opening moments of the fight.

“This is actually my other knee,” Pettis said on the UFC post-fight show on Fox Sports 2. “My right knee was my ACL tear, but I went to check a kick early in the first round and it hit me right in the middle of a groove and I felt my knee just pop.

“I felt it go back and forth, so I don’t know what happened yet. Hopefully it’s not something big and just a bruise, but I will wait until I get my MRI done.”

Despite recent injuries that forced the 26-year-old out of a fight with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, Pettis was 100-percent fit coming into Saturday night’s fight and is happy to revisit the idea of fighting Aldo. He’s even happy to drop down to featherweight to make it happen.

“I was 100-percent healthy, but I didn’t have a full camp. I only had a six week camp,” Pettis revealed. “I went from training 100 percent, took four weeks off, I was depressed. I didn’t know whether I would ever be champ.”

But now that he is the UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis set his sights on a higher goal.

“I’m here to prove I’m the best in the world. If Aldo wants to fight me, let’s make it happen.”

(Follow @AndrewMMA_ on Twitter)

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Several Fighters Revealed for Bellator and Oktagon Co-Promotion in Italy

New details were revealed this afternoon regarding the co-promotion between Bellator MMA and Oktagon Kickboxing. The partnership is set to take place on April 16 in Italy. read news >>

UFC co-headliner Anthony Pettis sucks at kicking cans off his brother's head

Anthony Pettis is a day away from his UFC Fight Night 81 co-headliner, but he’s finding ways to stay loose.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis returns to the Octagon for the first time since losing his belt last March against Eddie Alvarez at UFC Fight Night 81. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded Video Preview: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Go behind the scenes during the fight camps of former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and top contender Eddie Alvarez as the two prepare do to battle on Jan. 17. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Rob Font drops Joey Gomez for second-round TKO

BOSTON – It was the left hook of Rob Font that put Joey Gomez in trouble and a series of punishing right uppercuts that put him away.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Eddie Alvarez edges Anthony Pettis by split decision

BOSTON – Eddie Alvarez made it his mission to get in close against Anthony Pettis and get him to the floor, even if at times it meant stalling out against the fence.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: Eddie Alvarez Stuffs Anthony Pettis, Wants Title Shot

Eddie Alvarez may not have made it the most exciting of fights, but he defeated Anthony Pettis in Boston, and then called for a title shot. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez: UFC Fight Night 81 Winner, Scorecard, Reaction

Sunday's lightweight showdown between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez wasn't a title fight, but it felt like one. Alvarez captured the victory by split decision in a back-and-forth affair at UFC Fig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Video Highlights: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Watch the video highlights of the UFC Fight Night 81 co-main event between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez. read news >>