Anthony Pettis at WEC 48Anthony Pettis realized a childhood dream securing the UFC ‘ightweight title with a first-round submission victory over Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in Milwaukee on Saturday night, but it could come at a cost after the new champ felt his knee pop in the opening moments of the fight.

“This is actually my other knee,” Pettis said on the UFC post-fight show on Fox Sports 2. “My right knee was my ACL tear, but I went to check a kick early in the first round and it hit me right in the middle of a groove and I felt my knee just pop.

“I felt it go back and forth, so I don’t know what happened yet. Hopefully it’s not something big and just a bruise, but I will wait until I get my MRI done.”

Despite recent injuries that forced the 26-year-old out of a fight with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, Pettis was 100-percent fit coming into Saturday night’s fight and is happy to revisit the idea of fighting Aldo. He’s even happy to drop down to featherweight to make it happen.

“I was 100-percent healthy, but I didn’t have a full camp. I only had a six week camp,” Pettis revealed. “I went from training 100 percent, took four weeks off, I was depressed. I didn’t know whether I would ever be champ.”

But now that he is the UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis set his sights on a higher goal.

“I’m here to prove I’m the best in the world. If Aldo wants to fight me, let’s make it happen.”

(Follow @AndrewMMA_ on Twitter)

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Ronda Rousey Makes Quick Work of Early Weigh-in (UFC 207 Weigh-in Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey blew in like storm and left the same way following a brief appearance at Thursday's UFC 207 early morning weigh-in. read news >>

Miss UFC 207's biggest controversy? We've got photos of the knee that launched all the questions

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 opened up with plenty of confusion and controversy on Friday night. If you missed the fight, we’ve got all the photos from inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.Filed under: Featured read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson Announced for UFC 208

UFC President Dana White announced Friday that Anderson Silva will face Derek Brunson at UFC 208. He revealed the bout with the following tweet: UFC 208 will take place Feb. 11 at the Barclays Center read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Rodriguez vs Penn Fantasy Rewind

Yair Rodriguez picked up where Conor McGregor left off as the most promising prospect in the featherweight division after he dismantled UFC legend BJ Penn in the main event from Phoenix on Sunday nig read news >>

Robbie Lawler Exits American Top Team | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler has reportedly left American Top Team. read news >>

UFC 207 results: Controversial illegal – or legal? – knee sends Tim Means-Alex Oliveira to no-contest

LAS VEGAS – A promising bout between Tim Means and Alex Oliveira turned into a debate over knees to a downed opponent. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Injury: Updates on UFC Champion's Recovery from Knee Surgery

• a day ago

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is set to undergo knee surgery that will keep him out of action until May. He told John Pollock of Fight Network's MMA Report (h/t Fox Sports' Damon Martin): read news >>

Michael Bisping Sidelined by Knee Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

The UFC's dearth of pay-per-view headlining title fights continues, as middleweight champion Michael Bisping looks to be sidelined until late spring. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson Talk About Nurmagomedov' $200K Offer (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 11 hours ago

Leading up to their UFC 209 bout being signed, Khabib Nurmagomedov offered Tony Ferguson $200,000 to take the fight. read news >>