Anthony Pettis at WEC 48Anthony Pettis realized a childhood dream securing the UFC ‘ightweight title with a first-round submission victory over Benson Henderson at UFC 164 in Milwaukee on Saturday night, but it could come at a cost after the new champ felt his knee pop in the opening moments of the fight.

“This is actually my other knee,” Pettis said on the UFC post-fight show on Fox Sports 2. “My right knee was my ACL tear, but I went to check a kick early in the first round and it hit me right in the middle of a groove and I felt my knee just pop.

“I felt it go back and forth, so I don’t know what happened yet. Hopefully it’s not something big and just a bruise, but I will wait until I get my MRI done.”

Despite recent injuries that forced the 26-year-old out of a fight with UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, Pettis was 100-percent fit coming into Saturday night’s fight and is happy to revisit the idea of fighting Aldo. He’s even happy to drop down to featherweight to make it happen.

“I was 100-percent healthy, but I didn’t have a full camp. I only had a six week camp,” Pettis revealed. “I went from training 100 percent, took four weeks off, I was depressed. I didn’t know whether I would ever be champ.”

But now that he is the UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis set his sights on a higher goal.

“I’m here to prove I’m the best in the world. If Aldo wants to fight me, let’s make it happen.”

(Follow @AndrewMMA_ on Twitter)

Be sure to Like on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC 204 results: Mike Perry finishes Danny Roberts with 20 seconds left in fight courtesy of knee

MANCHESTER, England – For nearly three full rounds Mike Perry and Danny Roberts traded the kind of blows that could have easily ended the fight at any moment. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 204: Jimi Manuwa vs. Ovince Saint Preux video highlights

Jimi Manuwa made a big statement at UFC 204, crushing Ovince Saint Preux with a left hook for a career-best knockout win.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

After mind-boggling UFC 204 finish, Iuri Alcantara eyes top-15 spot: 'Where I shouldn't have left'

MANCHESTER, England – Back on the winning track after a “Performance of the Night” first-round submission of Brad Pickett at UFC 204, Iuri Alcantara is now looking for a quick turnaround and top-15 c read news >>

Demi Lovato wants to fight in MMA, according to Jay Glazer

In perhaps the most shocking news development of the day, pop singer Demi Lovato wants to pursue a career in mixed martial arts.Here's something you don't see everyday: Greg Hardy's ac read news >>

Remember When Rafael dos Anjos Beat Nate Diaz? (Free Fight) |

Before winning the belt from Anthony Pettis, Rafael dos Anjos defeated Nate Diaz by unanimous decision in 2014. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Potentially Signing Greg Hardy as UFC Fighter

On Wednesday, UFC President Dana White left open the possibility that former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy could one day appear in the UFC during an interview on FS1's Speak for Yourself, per MMA Figh read news >>

Greg Hardy in the UFC? What Does Dana White Think? |

Former NFL star Greg Hardy recently revealed his intention to transition away from football to a career in MMA. So what does Dana White think of the move? read news >>

Gracie versus Buchecha: Old School versus New School, Four Years On | FIGHTLAND

Roger Gracie left the sport of competitive jiu jitsu as perhaps the best who ever lived. Certainly in terms of accomplishments and accolades it is hard to imagine anyone will match Gracie's any time read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Announces He Has Left UFC: Latest Comments, Reaction

Georges St-Pierre announced on Monday's The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that he is no longer with UFC, per the show's producer, Eric Jackman. Jackman noted the fighter is a free agent after his lawye read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Felt Insulted by New UFC Owners |

Georges St-Pierre thought he was on track for his Octagon return, until the UFC changed hands and the new owners insulted him. read news >>