Anthony Johnson’s days as a welterweight appear to be long behind him, and the fighter says he is much happier as a result.

“I was always upset. I hated everybody if I was dropping to 170 [pounds], especially on weigh-in day,” Johnson told Sherdog.com after his knockout of D.J. Linderman at the World Series of Fighting’s debut event. “Everything happens for a reason. I don’t take back anything that happened in my past, because if it hadn’t happened back then, I wouldn’t be who I am right now. Moving to [light heavyweight] was definitely the best decision that I’ve ever made in my life.”

On Saturday night, Johnson competed in his fourth fight since receiving his UFC release this past January, knocking out Bellator veteran D.J. Linderman at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. The setup for the finish was one not seen often, as Johnson was the recipient of an accidental eye poke just moments prior. The Blackzilian began blinking badly, looking to referee Herb Dean for help. Dean, however, did not see the accidental foul and was unable to step in.

“Nothing was going through my mind except that [Linderman] poked me in the eye,” Johnson said of the sequence. “I looked over at Herb, and Herb said he didn’t see it. I respect him. He’s the best ref in the world. If he didn’t see it, then I respect that, because they don’t see everything.”

Next, Johnson says he heard Linderman’s corner urge the Californian to attack while “Rumble” gathered his wits. The advice proved less than helpful, as Johnson planted his back foot and countered Linderman with a straight right hand that instantly turned out his lights, causing him to fall limp, face-first on the canvas.

“I heard D.J.’s corner say, ‘Go get him,’ because they thought it was an opportunity. He just left himself open. I trained to step backward and punch at the same time, kind of like how Chuck Liddell used to do. We train that day in and day out,” said Johnson. “Usually when you knock somebody out, you don’t feel it. You just happen to hit them in the right spot, and that’s exactly what happened. I didn’t think he was going to fall the way he did. I don’t think he’s ever been knocked out or stopped like that. I think I was the first, so I’m proud of myself.”

Even after snatching the highlight reel finish, Johnson still complimented his opponent’s toughness during a first round in which Linderman ate several stiff shots from the hard-hitting Johnson, including a snapping high kick.

“[Linderman] is tough as nails. He took a couple of hits, and obviously he took a kick straight to the dome, and he didn’t drop. It surprised me,” said Johnson. “That guy has a hard noggin. He’s still a warrior, and I have nothing but respect for him.”

UFC 202 Video: Anthony Johnson – Warrior Code

Anthony Johnson sits down to talk about why he fights, his fighting style, recent success, and plans for the future. read news >>

UFC 202 Primer: Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira will collide in the co-main event of UFC 202 for a light heavyweight tilt carrying strong title implications. Both men are rebounding from abortive title runs, Tei read news >>

Making Anthony Johnson: Humble Rumble

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is notorious for his fierce knockout power. He's also one of the most humble fighters in the sport and takes on Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 in the co-main event on August 20. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

The Question: Does Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Point to Divisional Woes?

UFC 202 is on Saturday, and if you haven’t looked closely, you might have missed the fact that there are other fights on the card aside from Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor. You can understand how that read news >>

Anthony Johnson Full UFC 202 Open Workout Scrum Video

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson answered questions from the media following the UFC 202 open workouts. Hear what he had to say about the Diaz and McGregor bottle-throwing altercation. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Anthony Johnson Flattens Glover Teixeira in 13 Seconds

Top light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson made quick work of second ranked Glover Teixeira in the UFC 202 co-main event on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 202 Fight Highlights: Anthony Johnson KO’s Glover Teixeira in 13 Seconds!

Check out the UFC 202 fight highlights from the bout between Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira. read news >>