Anthony BirchakSo far this year hasn’t quite gone as bantamweight up-and-comer Anthony Birchak had hoped.

Normally a busy fighter, Birchak is coming off one of the longest layoffs of his career. As such, he’s eager to return to fighting and build off the success he had last year.

“I’m used to getting fights right off the bat in January or February and just keep things rolling, but this is like the second longest break that I’ve had in my career,” said Birchak. “Six months is a long stretch for me, so I want get in there and keep things rolling from last year.

“I finished all my fights in 2012 by knockout or TKO and I just want to keep that momentum rolling.”

Birchak points out that this layoff wasn’t intentional. Luckily, Canada’s MFC spotted him off his last win and was impressed enough to give him a shot at MFC 37 on Friday night in Edmonton.

Not only did Birchak land on the AXS TV televised portion of the fight card, he and opponent Ryan Benoit became the main event earlier this week when the initial headliner, a battle for the vacant heavyweight title belt, fell through the cracks. It was a sign of just how much confidence the MFC had in signing Birchak.

“We went to Jackson’s MMA series and fought (and defeated) his top 135-pounder there. After that we were just waiting in the wings to see if anyone called,” said Birchak. “We had talks with (MFC president) Mark Pavelich of being the face of the bantamweight division, and he’s the one that showed the most interest and pulled the trigger on signing me.

“I’m more than happy to be in the MFC and be one of the first guys in their bantamweight division.”

Having previously gotten big show experience in Bellator at the start of his career, Birchak told MMAWeekly.com that he feels things have come full circle with the chance to step back up into a promotion like the MFC.

“I think I was 3-0 and that was my biggest test at the time and I stepped up and felt great under the lights. To do that at that time was a great test,” he said. “Fighting for the MFC as a 9-1 professional now, this is where I’m supposed to be and this is what I’m supposed to do.”

Birchak’s MFC debut will not be an easy one, as he takes on promotional veteran Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit.

“I’ve been reading interviews where he’s saying that I’m just a wild striker and that I’m just going to swing for the fences and try and take him down and how that’s not going to work – I can shoot 100 takedowns and all I need is one,” said Birchak. “I think getting him to the ground is going to be the best chance for me to be victorious.

“My striking game is ever-improving and I think I can surprise him. I can’t wait to see the look on his face when I punch him and he realizes he’s in a fight.”

Now that he’s up in a big promotion fighting on a televised event against a top contender, Birchak’s next goal is simple, be crowned MFC champion sooner rather than later.

“I think this is a good fight for my career right now as far as how tough it is and the notoriety of it being the first ever 135-pound fight in the MFC,” he said. “A good, decisive, impressive win would make fighting for the championship not that far away.”

Rampage Jackson Returns to Bellator vs. Satoshi Ishii in Dynamite 2 Headliner

After a year out of action, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson returns to Bellator to headline the promotion's second hybrid event, Dynamite 2. read news >>

Miesha Tate to Defend Title Against Amanda Nunes at UFC 200

Fresh off of signing a new contract, UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate will make the first defense of her title at this summer's UFC 200. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 winner Bojan Velickovic on incredible opportunity to debut in Croatia

Bojan Velickovic’s name will forever live in UFC record books as the first man to have his hand raised in Croatia, the result of a unanimous-decision win over Alessio Di Chirico in the opening bout o read news >>

UFC 197’s Jon Jones: I'd be honored to headline MSG, but would Daniel Cormier?

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones welcomed a showdown with rival champ Daniel Cormier at UFC 205, but he’s not holding all the cards when it comes to his future. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Ovince Saint Preux crack Patrick Cummins with slick left hand

Ovince Saint Preux has the biggest opportunity of his life on Saturday night, as he takes on the world’s best fighter in Jon Jones. But “OSP” isn’t heading into the bout without a few weapons.Filed u read news >>

Bellator 158 Topped by Kimbo vs. James Thompson and Paul Daley vs. Josh Koscheck Rematches

Rematches pitting Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson and Paul Daley vs. Josh Koscheck headline Bellator's debut event in London. read news >>

Jon Jones says he feels alive before UFC 197, and would gladly headline UFC 200

LAS VEGAS – With a whole slew of issues now in what he hopes is the rearview mirror, Jon Jones is keeping a positive outlook ahead of his return. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Ovince Saint Preux: Keys to Victory for Fighters at UFC 197

Ovince Saint Preux has the opportunity of a lifetime on Saturday at UFC 197. OSP will be facing the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world in former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jone read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Arm and Recovery

Ovince Saint Preux had a golden opportunity at UFC 197, but he failed to capitalize and left the Octagon at a price. Continue for updates. Saint Preux Breaks Arm Saturday, April 23 UFC President Dana read news >>