Anthony BirchakSo far this year hasn’t quite gone as bantamweight up-and-comer Anthony Birchak had hoped.

Normally a busy fighter, Birchak is coming off one of the longest layoffs of his career. As such, he’s eager to return to fighting and build off the success he had last year.

“I’m used to getting fights right off the bat in January or February and just keep things rolling, but this is like the second longest break that I’ve had in my career,” said Birchak. “Six months is a long stretch for me, so I want get in there and keep things rolling from last year.

“I finished all my fights in 2012 by knockout or TKO and I just want to keep that momentum rolling.”

Birchak points out that this layoff wasn’t intentional. Luckily, Canada’s MFC spotted him off his last win and was impressed enough to give him a shot at MFC 37 on Friday night in Edmonton.

Not only did Birchak land on the AXS TV televised portion of the fight card, he and opponent Ryan Benoit became the main event earlier this week when the initial headliner, a battle for the vacant heavyweight title belt, fell through the cracks. It was a sign of just how much confidence the MFC had in signing Birchak.

“We went to Jackson’s MMA series and fought (and defeated) his top 135-pounder there. After that we were just waiting in the wings to see if anyone called,” said Birchak. “We had talks with (MFC president) Mark Pavelich of being the face of the bantamweight division, and he’s the one that showed the most interest and pulled the trigger on signing me.

“I’m more than happy to be in the MFC and be one of the first guys in their bantamweight division.”

Having previously gotten big show experience in Bellator at the start of his career, Birchak told MMAWeekly.com that he feels things have come full circle with the chance to step back up into a promotion like the MFC.

“I think I was 3-0 and that was my biggest test at the time and I stepped up and felt great under the lights. To do that at that time was a great test,” he said. “Fighting for the MFC as a 9-1 professional now, this is where I’m supposed to be and this is what I’m supposed to do.”

Birchak’s MFC debut will not be an easy one, as he takes on promotional veteran Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit.

“I’ve been reading interviews where he’s saying that I’m just a wild striker and that I’m just going to swing for the fences and try and take him down and how that’s not going to work – I can shoot 100 takedowns and all I need is one,” said Birchak. “I think getting him to the ground is going to be the best chance for me to be victorious.

“My striking game is ever-improving and I think I can surprise him. I can’t wait to see the look on his face when I punch him and he realizes he’s in a fight.”

Now that he’s up in a big promotion fighting on a televised event against a top contender, Birchak’s next goal is simple, be crowned MFC champion sooner rather than later.

“I think this is a good fight for my career right now as far as how tough it is and the notoriety of it being the first ever 135-pound fight in the MFC,” he said. “A good, decisive, impressive win would make fighting for the championship not that far away.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Former Champ Alexander Shlemenko Returns to Headline Bellator 162

  • 28 days ago
  • 6 views

Former middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko and WWE Superstar Bobby Lashley return to action at Bellator 162 in October. read news >>

WSOF Continues Signing Spree, Inks Deal with Ramsey Nijem

  • 28 days ago
  • 12 views

World Series of Fighting continued its signing spree on Monday, announcing it had inked a deal with UFC veteran Ramsey Nijem. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Believes Rory MacDonald ‘Chose the Best Option’ by Signing with Bellator

  • 28 days ago
  • 69 views

Former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre believes his friend, Rory MacDonald, made the right move, signing with rival promotion Bellator MMA. read news >>

Kim and Nelson to Headline UFC's Return to Belfast

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC® announced today that No.10-ranked “The Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar "Gunni” Nelson in Belfast on Saturday November 19 at the SSE Arena. read news >>

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Gunnar Nelson Headlines UFC Belfast

  • 22 days ago
  • 45 views

UFC recently announced that No.10 ranked Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar Nelson would headline a UFC Fight Night card in Belfast, Northern Ireland. read news >>

Breaking Down Cris Cyborg's UFC Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

  • 8 days ago
  • 22 views

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is preparing to headline her first UFC event ever. Tyron Woodley and Dan Hardy break down her match-up with Lina Lansberg. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Reportedly Missed the Boat to UFC New York, Offered Slot in Toronto | MMAWeekly.com

  • 5 days ago
  • 47 views

Eddie Alvarez reportedly missed his opportunity to fight at UFC 205 in New York, and has instead been offered a fight later in the year. read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Rogerio Nogueira Headlines Next UFC Event in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 hours ago
  • 11 views

UFC officials announced that Alexander Gustafsson and Rogerio Nogueira would headline UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo, adding a slew of other bouts to the card. read news >>

Superfight between Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor to headline UFC 205

  • 9 hours ago
  • 18 views

A superfight between Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor will headline UFC 205 in New York CityConor McGregor will look to become the first UFC fighterto hold championships in two separate weight classe read news >>

Alvarez-McGregor confirmed for UFC 205 at MSG

  • 8 hours ago
  • 703 views

Conor McGregor will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title in the headline event of UFC 205 in November, UFC officials confirmed Monday. read news >>