Anthony BirchakSo far this year hasn’t quite gone as bantamweight up-and-comer Anthony Birchak had hoped.

Normally a busy fighter, Birchak is coming off one of the longest layoffs of his career. As such, he’s eager to return to fighting and build off the success he had last year.

“I’m used to getting fights right off the bat in January or February and just keep things rolling, but this is like the second longest break that I’ve had in my career,” said Birchak. “Six months is a long stretch for me, so I want get in there and keep things rolling from last year.

“I finished all my fights in 2012 by knockout or TKO and I just want to keep that momentum rolling.”

Birchak points out that this layoff wasn’t intentional. Luckily, Canada’s MFC spotted him off his last win and was impressed enough to give him a shot at MFC 37 on Friday night in Edmonton.

Not only did Birchak land on the AXS TV televised portion of the fight card, he and opponent Ryan Benoit became the main event earlier this week when the initial headliner, a battle for the vacant heavyweight title belt, fell through the cracks. It was a sign of just how much confidence the MFC had in signing Birchak.

“We went to Jackson’s MMA series and fought (and defeated) his top 135-pounder there. After that we were just waiting in the wings to see if anyone called,” said Birchak. “We had talks with (MFC president) Mark Pavelich of being the face of the bantamweight division, and he’s the one that showed the most interest and pulled the trigger on signing me.

“I’m more than happy to be in the MFC and be one of the first guys in their bantamweight division.”

Having previously gotten big show experience in Bellator at the start of his career, Birchak told MMAWeekly.com that he feels things have come full circle with the chance to step back up into a promotion like the MFC.

“I think I was 3-0 and that was my biggest test at the time and I stepped up and felt great under the lights. To do that at that time was a great test,” he said. “Fighting for the MFC as a 9-1 professional now, this is where I’m supposed to be and this is what I’m supposed to do.”

Birchak’s MFC debut will not be an easy one, as he takes on promotional veteran Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit.

“I’ve been reading interviews where he’s saying that I’m just a wild striker and that I’m just going to swing for the fences and try and take him down and how that’s not going to work – I can shoot 100 takedowns and all I need is one,” said Birchak. “I think getting him to the ground is going to be the best chance for me to be victorious.

“My striking game is ever-improving and I think I can surprise him. I can’t wait to see the look on his face when I punch him and he realizes he’s in a fight.”

Now that he’s up in a big promotion fighting on a televised event against a top contender, Birchak’s next goal is simple, be crowned MFC champion sooner rather than later.

“I think this is a good fight for my career right now as far as how tough it is and the notoriety of it being the first ever 135-pound fight in the MFC,” he said. “A good, decisive, impressive win would make fighting for the championship not that far away.”

Alvarez vs. McGregor: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 205

Conor McGregor has the opportunity to send his already notorious legacy into orbit on Saturday, November 12, when he takes on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. The UFC featherweight champion will look to bec read news >>

UFC 205 Predictions: Bleacher Report Full Card Staff Picks

Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor are set to headline the biggest card in UFC history, UFC 205. And boy, just look at this lineup of fights: Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen read news >>

UFC 205 Fight Card: PPV Schedule, Odds and Predictions for Alvarez vs. McGregor

Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor will headline the biggest card in UFC history on Saturday evening, when a blockbuster UFC 205 lineup makes its way to New York City. Madison Square Garden will bear w read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 main eventer Uriah Hall wonders what the headline on this story will be

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – If it was up to Uriah Hall, his job as a UFC fighter would entail stepping in the octagon for competition and nothing more. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Eyes Bellator 165 Opportunity to Continue Climbing the Ranks | MMAWeekly.com

Following a rough time around his fight in May, Adam Piccolotti is eyeing Bellator 165 as an opportunity to continue climbing the lightweight ranks. read news >>

Fedor Signs Mult-Fight Deal with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator on Saturday announced its latest free agent signing, and it was a big one: Fedor Emelianenko. His first fight is already inked. read news >>

BJ Penn to Headline First UFC Event of 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC is going to try once again to get Hall of Famer BJ Penn back into the Octagon. read news >>

Megan Anderson vs. Charmaine Tweet gets headline spot for Invicta FC 21 on Jan. 14

Invicta FC 21 is ready to kick off its 2016 season with a showdown in the featherweight division.Filed under: News read news >>

Rodriguez vs. Penn to Headline Phoenix Event

UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn's long-awaited return to the Octagon will headline the UFC's Phoenix event on January 15, as "The Prodigy" faces Mexican phenom Yair Rodriguez in a five-round featherweight read news >>