Anderson Silva's new contract a done deal, according to UFC president


anderson-silva-42.jpgNEW YORK – A much-reported deal to extend Anderson Silva‘s time in the UFC is done, according to Dana White.

While the UFC president hedged slightly by saying “as far as I know,” he said Silva’s new contract is for 10 fights. He didn’t say whether the deal had an expiration date.

“I haven’t talked to Anderson in about a month, but as far as I know, it’s done,” White said during a fan Q&A sponsored by the UFC’s official wireless partner, MetroPCS.

Silva’s longtime manager, Ed Soares, declined comment to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

This past December, White said Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) signed the long-term deal. One month later, Soares said the deal had yet to be inked.

“The Spider” had two fights remaining on his prior deal when contract talks began. His next fight is set against the undefeated Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) at UFC 162, which takes place July 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

If successful, Silva will have defended his middleweight title 11 times. He already holds the record for most defenses at 10 and is unbeaten in the UFC with 16 consecutive wins.

Still, Silva’s age (37) and record-setting UFC run have prompted many fans and observers to wonder how much longer he’ll continue to compete in the octagon. While his contract would tie him to the UFC, he could retire before fulfilling his obligations.

A new deal would provide greater financial incentive to press on, especially if superfights materialize with welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre or light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones. White has said he’d like to see both, though St-Pierre recently went on UFC commentator Joe Rogan’s podcast to say he’d have an easier time fighting at 155 pounds than moving up in weight to challenge the heavier Silva. 

Weight wouldn’t be a problem for light heavyweight Jones, who meets two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen at this Saturday’s UFC 159.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Anderson Silva)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 11 days ago
  • 99 views

Third time the charm? Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva is making his long-awaited return to the Octagon at the upcoming UFC 183 pay-per-view (PPV) e read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 362 views

There were few other fights that the UFC could pull together that would excite fans more than Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz did when the bout was first announced earlier this year. In the blue corner read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

And the mixed martial arts (MMA) community just breathed a collective sigh of relief. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Nick Diaz, who will make a few extra trips to the hotel buffet read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC president Dana White didn't foresee the Nevada Athletic Commission issuing a lifetime ban to Wanderlei Silva. But he knew the troubled former champion was in for some sort of major punishment, si read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 36 views

On Tuesday, the Nevada Athletic Commission issued Wanderlei Silva a lifetime ban and fined him $70,000 for dodging a drug test prior to his UFC 175 bout against Chael Sonnen. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 2 views

The UFC is expecting the January bout between Nick Diaz and Anderson Silva to go ahead without issue despite Diaz's recent DUI arrest. UFC 183 is expected to be headlined by a bout between Nick Diaz read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 58 views

Las Vegas is a city famous for its sleight of hand, and that old magicians’ trick is what Dana White thinks Wanderlei Silva was doing with his retirement announcement.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 21 views

UFC president Dana White reacts to Wanderlei Silva being banned for life by the Nevada Athletic Commission, saying he didn't see a lifetime ban coming. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 13 views

On Friday UFC president Dana White said Wanderlei Silva has been blackballed from induction in the Hall of Fame. read news >>