Anderson Silva Will Not Fight on Fox Debut Card, but UFC 134 Could Still Play A Factor in Main Event


Anderson Silva UFC 126

Anderson Silva at the UFC 126 post-fight press conference

The UFC’s first show on Fox set for Nov 12 in Anaheim will feature a big fight for the main event, but Anderson Silva will not be involved.

Rumors first circled earlier this week that Silva was in the running for the main event of the Fox show for a fight against current Strikeforce champion Dan Henderson.

Sources had indicated that at least one of the fighters had been contacted about the potential fight that hinged on Silva’s performance this weekend at UFC 134 in Rio against Yushin Okami.

Well now, UFC President Dana White has thrown water on those rumors, but still says that the event in Brazil could impact the fight happening on Fox.

“Still working on it, I’m going to watch and see what happens this weekend. No it won’t be Anderson Silva, but what happens this weekend is important,” White said when addressing fans on UStream.

The possibility of a fight between Silva and Henderson always seemed like a long shot considering the Brazilian’s match-up this weekend and only 10 weeks remaining between now and the fight in Anaheim.

A lot of factors would have to go right this weekend as well as Silva’s willingness to take back-to-back fights in such a short amount of time.

While Silva is off the table for the event, White did say that this weekend’s show could impact the Fox card. Could that mean the inclusion of possibly the winner in the co-main event between Maurcio ‘Shogun’ Rua and Forrest Griffin?

No mention has been given about Dan Henderson still possibly being a contender for the card, and he has been competing at light heavyweight for his last few fights. He also mentioned that he believes 205lbs is his best weight class.

“I’m the most comfortable there, not having to cut weight, not having to jeopardize any energy or anything. I perform the best consistently at light heavy, so I would definitely like to stay there,” Henderson told MMAWeekly Radio just last week.

Time will tell the tale on who will end up on Fox, but White is promising a big main event to make sure their new television partners are happy with the end result.

“It’s going to be a big fight,” White stated. “Obviously we want to go out with a bang and pull big numbers off Fox, the first time we’re going to big fight on Fox.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

A #1 contender fight in the light heavyweight division is now official, as Alexander Gustafsson is set to face Anthony Johnson in Gustafsson's home country of Sweden on January 24th. We've got a huge read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 18 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight titleholder-turned-featherweight contender Frankie Edgar (17-4-1) doesn't have one-punch knockout power. Truth is, he doesn't need it. What "Th read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 1626 views

Watch the full fight video highlights for the UFC 179 main event between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes. On a fight card deemed top-heavy, featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Chad read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 297 views

Watch Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes full fight video highlights from UFC 179's main event above, courtesy of FOX Sports. UFC 179: Aldo vs. Mendes 2 took place October 25, 2014 at the Ginásio do Maracanãz read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 30 views

RIO DE JANEIRO – At Saturday’s UFC 179 event, Fabio Maldonado and Anderson Silva mended fences in a very public – and very memorable – way.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 0 views

Saturday night’s UFC 179 pay-per-view featured a great main event between Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes, but the entire fight card was filled with entertaining bouts. With Phil Davis earning a lopsided d read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

"The Spider" jokingly said that he accepted the deal to drive "Dana White crazy". It appears that Anderson Silva has extended his contract with the UFC for eight more fights. In an interview to Comba read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 57 views

Anderson Silva had eight fights left on his UFC contract, including his return against Nick Diaz in January, but Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta apparently wanted more. White and Fertitta had dinner read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

It’s safe to assume former UFC middleweight champion and MMA great Anderson Silva will wrap up his career with the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jump to: