It seems Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre will always remain linked, even if the two pound-for-pound greats never actually do battle in their oft-rumored super-fight.

In March, St. Pierre was asked by Canada’s SportsNet to offer a prediction on Silva’s upcoming UFC 162 title defense against Chris Weidman, a request the welterweight champion obliged during a video interview.

“My friend, Chris Weidman, I see him in training, and I believe he is going to beat Anderson Silva,” said St. Pierre. “I believe it’s a bad matchup for Anderson Silva -- very bad. Not only is he going to beat him, I believe he’s going to finish Anderson Silva. I believe it’s not going to be too long, that fight. People will be shocked.

“Anderson is very smart, because Chris Weidman is coming back from an injury [after] a long layoff. So, it’s the time to fight him, right now. It’s going to be the best time to fight Chris Weidman, so Chris needs to make sure he is very well-prepared for this fight.”

On Tuesday, Silva responded to St. Pierre’s pick during a media conference call to promote his clash with Weidman, which takes place July 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs live on pay-per-view.

“Imagine if I were to start listening to everything that people say,” Silva explained through a translator. “St. Pierre had his chance to pronounce himself about fighting me, and he didn’t do it. That’s what he chose to say, and that’s fine, but I’m not paying attention to what everyone else is saying.”

In Weidman, Silva faces arguably the toughest test of his 37-fight career. The unbeaten 29-year-old has posted nine straight wins in his four years a pro and has gone 5-0 during his UFC stint, most recently dispatching highly regarded Mark Munoz last July.

Meanwhile, the 38-year-old champion rides a 17-fight winning streak into his 11th middleweight title defense. Though Silva has shown respect for his younger challenger, “The Spider” said he is most concerned with improving his abilities as a fighter.

“Every new fight is a new challenge, and it will be up to whoever is better prepared and who feels better that night,” said Silva. “Win or lose, a loss and a win are always walking side by side. That doesn’t really matter, because I’ve been doing this since I was eight years old, and there are always new challenges. My biggest concern is going out there and doing better for myself. I’m not concerned about what my opponents do. I want to better myself.”

Chris Weidman Talks Luke Rockhold, Compares UFC Rematch to Anderson Silva Fights

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has called for an immediate rematch against Luke Rockhold, whom he said he plans to "demolish" in a bout that means more to him than his wins over Ander read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>

Michael Bisping's plan: 'Destroy Anderson Silva,' get long-awaited title shot

Michael Bisping has no doubt he’s going to have his way with Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 83. When he does, he said he plans to “demand” a UFC title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC boss: Luke Rockhold to rematch Chris Weidman for middleweight title in June

Chris Weidman will get a chance to take back the UFC middleweight championship from Luke Rockhold when the pair rematch for the title in June.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman Immediate Rematch Headlines UFC 199

UFC president Dana White dropped some big fights on Wednesday, including a rematch between Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman. read news >>

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 Event Page and Fight Card

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 event page and fight card, featuring UFC middleweight rematch between Luk Rockhold and Chris Weidman. read news >>

Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman: Fight Date Announced, Comments and Reaction

On Wednesday afternoon, UFC President Dana White announced on Fox Sports' Garbage Time (via Damon Martin of FoxSports.com) that Luke Rockhold will defend his middleweight title against Chris Weidman read news >>

Chris Weidman shows off his catwalk skills

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman took to the Men's NY Fashion Week catwalk to show off his skills in the Grungy Gentleman show. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 84 Free Fight: Anderson Silva Clowns Stephan Bonnar

• a day ago

In his third UFC fight at light heavyweight, Anderson Silva earned a first-round knockout against Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 84: Check out Anderson Silva's and Michael Bisping's greatest hits

• a day ago

After debunking some injury reports on Monday, Michael Bisping is gearing up for his long-awaited shot at former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>