It seems Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre will always remain linked, even if the two pound-for-pound greats never actually do battle in their oft-rumored super-fight.

In March, St. Pierre was asked by Canada’s SportsNet to offer a prediction on Silva’s upcoming UFC 162 title defense against Chris Weidman, a request the welterweight champion obliged during a video interview.

“My friend, Chris Weidman, I see him in training, and I believe he is going to beat Anderson Silva,” said St. Pierre. “I believe it’s a bad matchup for Anderson Silva -- very bad. Not only is he going to beat him, I believe he’s going to finish Anderson Silva. I believe it’s not going to be too long, that fight. People will be shocked.

“Anderson is very smart, because Chris Weidman is coming back from an injury [after] a long layoff. So, it’s the time to fight him, right now. It’s going to be the best time to fight Chris Weidman, so Chris needs to make sure he is very well-prepared for this fight.”

On Tuesday, Silva responded to St. Pierre’s pick during a media conference call to promote his clash with Weidman, which takes place July 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs live on pay-per-view.

“Imagine if I were to start listening to everything that people say,” Silva explained through a translator. “St. Pierre had his chance to pronounce himself about fighting me, and he didn’t do it. That’s what he chose to say, and that’s fine, but I’m not paying attention to what everyone else is saying.”

In Weidman, Silva faces arguably the toughest test of his 37-fight career. The unbeaten 29-year-old has posted nine straight wins in his four years a pro and has gone 5-0 during his UFC stint, most recently dispatching highly regarded Mark Munoz last July.

Meanwhile, the 38-year-old champion rides a 17-fight winning streak into his 11th middleweight title defense. Though Silva has shown respect for his younger challenger, “The Spider” said he is most concerned with improving his abilities as a fighter.

“Every new fight is a new challenge, and it will be up to whoever is better prepared and who feels better that night,” said Silva. “Win or lose, a loss and a win are always walking side by side. That doesn’t really matter, because I’ve been doing this since I was eight years old, and there are always new challenges. My biggest concern is going out there and doing better for myself. I’m not concerned about what my opponents do. I want to better myself.”

Anderson Silva Calls for Michael Bisping Rematch, Suggests Manchester UFC Fight

Legendary fighter Anderson Silva thinks UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is “afraid” to face him in a rematch. The Brazilian lost to Bisping narrowly in London earlier this year in a pulsati read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Daniel Cormier Will Fight Anderson Silva at UFC 200; Tate vs. Nunes to Headline

Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 fight card to fight Anderson Silva. The card has been shuffled, moving Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes to headlining status. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Presser, Including Anderson Silva!

Watch as surprise guest Anderson Silva, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Press Conference with Special Guest Anderson Silva

Watch as Anderson Silva crashes the party, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

VIDEO: Anderson Silva and Dana White Explain Making the Fight with Daniel Cormier

UFC president Dana White and Anderson Silva talk about how it came about that Silva is stepping in to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200. read news >>

Anderson Silva steps up to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

After a earth-shattering last 24 hours, Daniel Cormier found an opponent for UFC 200: UFC legend Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Here's how it all came together and what Silva said about his fight. read news >>

Anderson Silva a Betting Underdog Against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a betting underdog going into his UFC 200 fight against Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Cormier vs. Silva: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 200

After the initial furore over Anderson Silva stepping in to face Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 following Jon Jones' removal from the card, it was time for the pair to weigh in ahead of their clash on Sat read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Daniel Cormier Grabs Unanimous Decision Over Anderson Silva

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier went the distance with Anderson Silva on Saturday, picking up a unanimous decision on the UFC 200 main card at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>