When the news of UFC 151's cancellation reached middleweight champion Anderson Silva in Brazil, his only thought was what could he do to help?

Silva immediately called his manager Ed Soares in the United States and asked him what was going on, and if he could step into a fight to help save the show.

“He goes, ‘Hey, I just heard the show was potentially going to be cancelled,’ and I said yeah it’s true, it got cancelled. He goes, ‘Well, call Dana and tell him that I’m not in fighting shape, so I can’t make 185. I can’t make my 185 weight, but I’d be willing to step up and fight a 205er on eight days notice if it’s going to help save the event,’” Sores revealed when speaking with MMAWeekly Radio.

“He goes, ‘I’m not prepared to take on Jon Jones because I haven’t been training, so I don’t think I’m ready for a championship bout, but I definitely would fight any other 205-pounder who is willing to step up and take the challenge.’”

Unfortunately, the UFC’s decision to cancel the event had already been made by the time Silva found out about it, so his offer came in just a bit too late to save the show. UFC president Dana White was very appreciative of the offer, no matter what eventually happened.

“I gave Dana a call and he was just like, ‘Wow, I never expected that, but tell him thank you. I wish I would have known that 24 hours ago,’” said Soares.

As the longest reigning champion in UFC history, Anderson Silva has stepped up and helped the company in the past, but this wasn’t about the UFC this time.

Silva’s reason for stepping up on only eight days notice was about helping out the fighters on the undercard because he’s walked in their shoes before, and he knows how important it can be to fight when you’re scheduled to fight.

“His biggest concern was really the other fighters. He said, ‘Ed, I remember when I was at that level of fighter where some of these undercard guys were, and the difference in paying your rent and putting food on the table was whether you were going to fight or not,’ and he said if there’s anything he could do to help the other fighters, he would step up and do it,” said Soares.

“The thing that hit closest to home to him was just simply the other fighters not getting the opportunity to earn their living.”

Many of the undercard fighters from UFC 151 have expressed some hardships endured following the cancellation of the event. Most of the competitors have been shifted to other cards, but the sting of losing a paycheck on Sept. 1 still hurts.

Since UFC 151 didn’t work out, Silva will now await word on his next opponent, which will likely be scheduled during 2013.

For more news and rumors make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter.

Saenchai, the 'Anderson Silva of Thai boxing,' on FIGHT PASS Saturday

The greatest Muay Thai fighter in the world – and quite possibly of all time - comes to UFC FIGHT PASS this Saturday as striking sensation Saenchai (315-43-2, 55 KO's) makes his GLORY Kickboxing debu read news >>

Anderson Silva Calls for Michael Bisping Rematch, Suggests Manchester UFC Fight

Legendary fighter Anderson Silva thinks UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is “afraid” to face him in a rematch. The Brazilian lost to Bisping narrowly in London earlier this year in a pulsati read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Daniel Cormier Will Fight Anderson Silva at UFC 200; Tate vs. Nunes to Headline

Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 fight card to fight Anderson Silva. The card has been shuffled, moving Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes to headlining status. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Presser, Including Anderson Silva!

Watch as surprise guest Anderson Silva, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Press Conference with Special Guest Anderson Silva

Watch as Anderson Silva crashes the party, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

VIDEO: Anderson Silva and Dana White Explain Making the Fight with Daniel Cormier

UFC president Dana White and Anderson Silva talk about how it came about that Silva is stepping in to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200. read news >>

Anderson Silva steps up to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

After a earth-shattering last 24 hours, Daniel Cormier found an opponent for UFC 200: UFC legend Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Here's how it all came together and what Silva said about his fight. read news >>

Anderson Silva a Betting Underdog Against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a betting underdog going into his UFC 200 fight against Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Cormier vs. Silva: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 200

After the initial furore over Anderson Silva stepping in to face Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 following Jon Jones' removal from the card, it was time for the pair to weigh in ahead of their clash on Sat read news >>