When the news of UFC 151's cancellation reached middleweight champion Anderson Silva in Brazil, his only thought was what could he do to help?

Silva immediately called his manager Ed Soares in the United States and asked him what was going on, and if he could step into a fight to help save the show.

“He goes, ‘Hey, I just heard the show was potentially going to be cancelled,’ and I said yeah it’s true, it got cancelled. He goes, ‘Well, call Dana and tell him that I’m not in fighting shape, so I can’t make 185. I can’t make my 185 weight, but I’d be willing to step up and fight a 205er on eight days notice if it’s going to help save the event,’” Sores revealed when speaking with MMAWeekly Radio.

“He goes, ‘I’m not prepared to take on Jon Jones because I haven’t been training, so I don’t think I’m ready for a championship bout, but I definitely would fight any other 205-pounder who is willing to step up and take the challenge.’”

Unfortunately, the UFC’s decision to cancel the event had already been made by the time Silva found out about it, so his offer came in just a bit too late to save the show. UFC president Dana White was very appreciative of the offer, no matter what eventually happened.

“I gave Dana a call and he was just like, ‘Wow, I never expected that, but tell him thank you. I wish I would have known that 24 hours ago,’” said Soares.

As the longest reigning champion in UFC history, Anderson Silva has stepped up and helped the company in the past, but this wasn’t about the UFC this time.

Silva’s reason for stepping up on only eight days notice was about helping out the fighters on the undercard because he’s walked in their shoes before, and he knows how important it can be to fight when you’re scheduled to fight.

“His biggest concern was really the other fighters. He said, ‘Ed, I remember when I was at that level of fighter where some of these undercard guys were, and the difference in paying your rent and putting food on the table was whether you were going to fight or not,’ and he said if there’s anything he could do to help the other fighters, he would step up and do it,” said Soares.

“The thing that hit closest to home to him was just simply the other fighters not getting the opportunity to earn their living.”

Many of the undercard fighters from UFC 151 have expressed some hardships endured following the cancellation of the event. Most of the competitors have been shifted to other cards, but the sting of losing a paycheck on Sept. 1 still hurts.

Since UFC 151 didn’t work out, Silva will now await word on his next opponent, which will likely be scheduled during 2013.

For more news and rumors make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter.

Manager: Jessica Andrade was offered UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, wants another fight first

Manager and interpreter Tiago Okamura said UFC strawweight Jessica Andrade was given the option of “going straight” to a title shot after her UFC 207 scrap got canceled, but she prefers to fight once read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss to Amanda Nunes

Retired boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. has offered crestfallen UFC superstar Ronda Rousey some words of encouragement following her second successive career defeat, which came against Amanda Nunes read news >>

Former pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva meets Derek Brunson at UFC 208 in Brooklyn

“The Spider” returns in March. Former middleweight champ and pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva is set to fight Derek Brunson at UFC 208 in Brooklyn. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson Announced for UFC 208

UFC President Dana White announced Friday that Anderson Silva will face Derek Brunson at UFC 208. He revealed the bout with the following tweet: UFC 208 will take place Feb. 11 at the Barclays Center read news >>

Anderson Silva Returns at UFC 208 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced on Friday that former middleweight champion Anderson Silva would return to the Octagon at UFC 208. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather claims he offered UFC champ Conor McGregor $15 million to fight

And on goes the saga of Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva down to clown UFC champ Michael Bisping – and why he wants rematch, regardless of belt

Former longtime UFC middleweight champion and MMA great Anderson Silva said he enjoys his social-media clashes with current titleholder Michael Bisping. Still, he wants to fight him again for real.Fi read news >>

Conor McGregor: 7 Potential Fights for His UFC Return

Conor McGregor is the biggest star in the UFC—perhaps even more so now that Ronda Rousey has suffered a much-publicized fall from grace. The Irishman is, along with Rousey, the only true guarantee fo read news >>

Why Court McGee likes the cut of UFC Fight Night 103 opponent Ben Saunders' jib

PHOENIX – When it comes to MMA careers, Court McGee knows he’s got a lot in common with his upcoming UFC Fight Night 103 opponent, Ben Saunders.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

10 reasons to watch Sunday's UFC Fight Night 103, including B.J. Penn's oft-delayed return

B.J. Penn has gone more than six years without a win. Inside, check out 10 reasons to watch his return to action at UFC Fight Night 103.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>