When the news of UFC 151's cancellation reached middleweight champion Anderson Silva in Brazil, his only thought was what could he do to help?

Silva immediately called his manager Ed Soares in the United States and asked him what was going on, and if he could step into a fight to help save the show.

“He goes, ‘Hey, I just heard the show was potentially going to be cancelled,’ and I said yeah it’s true, it got cancelled. He goes, ‘Well, call Dana and tell him that I’m not in fighting shape, so I can’t make 185. I can’t make my 185 weight, but I’d be willing to step up and fight a 205er on eight days notice if it’s going to help save the event,’” Sores revealed when speaking with MMAWeekly Radio.

“He goes, ‘I’m not prepared to take on Jon Jones because I haven’t been training, so I don’t think I’m ready for a championship bout, but I definitely would fight any other 205-pounder who is willing to step up and take the challenge.’”

Unfortunately, the UFC’s decision to cancel the event had already been made by the time Silva found out about it, so his offer came in just a bit too late to save the show. UFC president Dana White was very appreciative of the offer, no matter what eventually happened.

“I gave Dana a call and he was just like, ‘Wow, I never expected that, but tell him thank you. I wish I would have known that 24 hours ago,’” said Soares.

As the longest reigning champion in UFC history, Anderson Silva has stepped up and helped the company in the past, but this wasn’t about the UFC this time.

Silva’s reason for stepping up on only eight days notice was about helping out the fighters on the undercard because he’s walked in their shoes before, and he knows how important it can be to fight when you’re scheduled to fight.

“His biggest concern was really the other fighters. He said, ‘Ed, I remember when I was at that level of fighter where some of these undercard guys were, and the difference in paying your rent and putting food on the table was whether you were going to fight or not,’ and he said if there’s anything he could do to help the other fighters, he would step up and do it,” said Soares.

“The thing that hit closest to home to him was just simply the other fighters not getting the opportunity to earn their living.”

Many of the undercard fighters from UFC 151 have expressed some hardships endured following the cancellation of the event. Most of the competitors have been shifted to other cards, but the sting of losing a paycheck on Sept. 1 still hurts.

Since UFC 151 didn’t work out, Silva will now await word on his next opponent, which will likely be scheduled during 2013.

For more news and rumors make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Michael Bisping Plans to Knock Anderson Silva Out

  • 28 days ago
  • 65 views

Seventh-ranked middleweight Michael “The Count” Bisping has always wanted to fight former champion Anderson Silva and plans to knock him out when they meet on Feb. 27. read news >>

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

  • 27 days ago
  • 33 views

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

After deal that would make others 'angry,' Alvarez urges fighters to 'build value'

  • 26 days ago
  • 77 views

Athletes fighting out their contracts is becoming more common in MMA. Eddie Alvarez has been there and done that, and he preached the importance of getting every dollar possible.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Conor McGregor UFC 197 Betting Odds Reveal Early Favorite

  • 26 days ago
  • 82 views

Conor McGregor will be the underdog should he make the move up to the UFC's lightweight division and fight titleholder Rafael dos Anjos as he is expected to. Speaking to MMAjunkie, oddsmaker Joey Odd read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 81

  • 26 days ago
  • 33 views

With the second title fight of 2016 looming, we want your predictions for Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event in Boston.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Augusto Mendes, Elvis Mutapcic make debuts on short notice at UFC Fight Night 81

  • 25 days ago
  • 10 views

The 11th hour changes for the UFC’s return to Boston this weekend continue with another pair of updated bookings featuring some promotional debuts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

  • 25 days ago
  • 10 views

No. 1-ranked lightweight contender Anthony Pettis (18-3) will make his return for the first time since losing the UFC lightweight title, and No. 4-ranked Eddie Alvarez (26-4) will be awaiting him on read news >>

Chris Weidman Talks Luke Rockhold, Compares UFC Rematch to Anderson Silva Fights

  • 24 days ago
  • 28 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has called for an immediate rematch against Luke Rockhold, whom he said he plans to "demolish" in a bout that means more to him than his wins over Ander read news >>

5 Things the UFC Can Do to Make 2016 the Best Year Ever

  • 24 days ago
  • 36 views

Here are the top 5 ways the UFC can make for a BIG 2016. read news >>

Video: UFC champ Luke Rockhold's elbow drainage will make you gag

  • 24 days ago
  • 30 views

If you’re getting ready to dig into breakfast while you catch up on MMAjunkie’s latest headlines, you might want to skip this one.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>