Anderson Silva is still game to fight Roy Jones Jr.

The UFC middleweight champion expressed his continued desire to step in the boxing ring with former multi-time world champion Jones on Tuesday during a media conference call to promote Silva’s UFC 162 title defense against Chris Weidman.

“Of course I want to fight [Jones]. Maybe after this fight against Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him,” said Silva through a translator. “He’s already said that he would fight me, also, so that is something I would really like to have happen.”

Before that inter-sport matchup could take place, however, Silva must first face Weidman in his 11th UFC title defense. The pair will clash in the July 6 main event, which takes place at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs live on pay-per-view.

Long regarded as one of MMA’s pound-for-pound best, Silva has not lost since January 2006, posting a perfect 16-0 record in UFC competition. Though Weidman is arguably the toughest challenger “The Spider” has faced thus far, Silva nevertheless seems unconcerned with how a loss might affect his legacy.

“I think what’s most important is to set a good example for the kids who watch the UFC and the kids who are coming up,” said Silva. “Whatever I should have done in the sport, I have already done. Win or lose, I’ve already done everything there is to do. Now it’s just a matter of doing what I love to do.”

In spite of Weidman’s impressive skill set and unblemished professional record, Silva said he is most concerned with self-improvement rather than overcoming any specific adversary.

“I don’t really train to think about my opponent. I train to do what I do best -- what I’ve been doing since I was a kid -- which is fighting,” said Silva. “I train to satisfy myself and not anyone else, so I’m not thinking about my opponent. I’m thinking about overcoming myself and getting better at what I do.”

Silva, 38, signed a 10-fight deal with the UFC at the end of last year. Though it appears reasonable that the champion could retire before fulfilling all 10 bouts on that deal, the knockout artist is not ruling anything out as of yet.

“Everything is a possibility, but it really is going to come down to my willpower and my desire to still be fighting,” said Silva. “I have a lot of other things I want to do, and one of those is fighting Roy Jones, but we’re just going to have to see how things work out in the next few fights and how I feel.”

Diego Sanchez interested in Dennis Siver bout for featherweight debut

10 year UFC veteran Diego Sanchez launches a Twitter campaign to find a worthy opponent for his 145 lb. debut. Will Dennis Siver answer the call? 33-year-old Diego Sanchez embarked on his UFC career read news >>

Chris Weidman: The Best wants to be Better

Chris Weidman knew it all along. He knew he would beat the unbeatable Anderson Silva, repeat the feat, and stand alone atop the UFC’s middleweight division, championship belt slung over his shoulder. read news >>

Anderson Silva: 'I'm Tired of Listening to Lies and False Accusations'

Anderson Silva’s all-time great career now rests on the shaky foundation of his word. Despite testing positive for four banned substances before and after his UFC 183 bout with Nick Diaz, the former read news >>

Video: Erick Silva trains for Rick Story fight by punching Anderson Silva in the face

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight heartthrob Erick Silva collides with veteran 170-pound bruiser Rick Story in the co-headliner of the upcoming UFC Fight Night 70 mixed martial arts ( read news >>

Nick Diaz wants to rematch Anderson Silva in a ring ... not UFC's 'dog cage'

Woof, woof. Nick Diaz still believes he won his fight against Anderson Silva at UFC 183 earlier this year. Even though the Octagon-side judges all came to the conclusion that "The Spider" did enough read news >>

Michael Bisping: Fighting Anderson Silva not the burning issue it once was

• a day ago

Still, "The Count" says he wouldn't mind stepping into the cage against someone he once considered a hero despite "The Spider's" recent fall. Despite his constant pleas of innocence, former Ultimate read news >>

Anderson Silva: 'I'm just tired of hearing lies and false accusations'

Anderson Silva’s legacy took a significant hit when the UFC middleweight legend failed multiple drug tests surrounding his UFC 183 win over Nick Diaz. But the champion is firing back at some of his c read news >>

Anderson Silva Has Life Advice for Jon Jones Because Why Not

Anderson Silva has some thoughts on what he think Jon Jones should do with his life. read news >>

Nick Diaz wants a rematch with Anderson Silva outside the UFC's 'dog cage'

UFC 183 was a disappointment for Nick Diaz on a number of levels. Now, he would like another crack at Anderson Silva – under PRIDE rules.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Anderson Silva tells Jon Jones to change 'everything' in his life, not return to UFC anytime soon

Jon Jones is in the midst of "soul-searching" after being arrested last month on felony hit-and-run charges in Albuquerque, N.M., and stripped of his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) world title read news >>