Anderson Silva Says Missed UFC 162 Media Obligations Was Due to Miscommunication

Anderson Silva at UFC 126UFC officials recently fined middleweight champion Anderson Silva $50,000 for skipping some scheduled UFC 162 media obligations, but Silva says it was all a misunderstanding.

Silva was scheduled to meet with several media outlets – including newspapers, websites, and television and radio stations – on Tuesday. He instead passed on the meeting and instead flew home to Brazil.

“We had a full media day set up for him in Los Angeles, and he just decided he didn’t want to do it,” UFC president Dana White told USA Today Sports. “So he’s being fined $50,000.”

Silva, however, gave a different take on the situation in comments he made to Brazilian magazine Veja on Tuesday.

Silva said that what happened was a miscommunication between he and the UFC, according to a report from MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports. He said he was made aware of the appointment only Monday, when he was going to Los Angeles International airport (LAX) to catch a flight to Brazil.

“I’ve never missed a single appointment with UFC,” said Silva. “I would never book a trip to Brazil if I knew I was supposed to be in Los Angeles.

“Everybody knows that I always lock in (media appearances so I can) devote myself to training, which is my priority. I’m an athlete and my focus will always be to train and be ready for the challenges.”

Anderson Silva is scheduled to defend his UFC middleweight championship against Chris Weidman at UFC 162 on July 7 in Las Vegas. The media obligations were scheduled at a time to help promote ticket sales, which begin this week.

(The Veja magazine Anderson Silva segment was translated by Yahoo’s Fernando Arbex.)

It appears former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s once-broken leg has healed just fine.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

In a recent press conference in Brazil, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva said that three of his teammates could win the belt that was his for seven years, but one of the names caught m read news >>

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis had some things to say about Anderson Silva's leg break in an interview, but changed his tune a little later in a follow-up with another media outlet. Anthony read news >>

Former UFC middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva gets back in action 13 months after a gruesome leg injury, facing former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz at UFC 183 on Jan. 31, and Budweise read news >>

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- Anderson Silva could be the latest UFC star to sign a sponsorship deal with Reebok, but he won’t do it just for the money. The former UFC middleweight kingpin, who was spons read news >>

"I always talk about a fight that most people don't bring up, it's when I fought Travis Lutter in Montreal. Basically in the fight I had all the answers I needed (to win) but it was just failed execu read news >>

Because focusing on one aspect of the fight, could spell disaster for the Stockton slugger. Going into UFC 183, Anderson Silva is adamant he won't be hesitant to throw his patented leg kicks after su read news >>

UFC 'money weight' Nick Diaz may be the best and worst representation of a martial artist in modern MMA. The expletive hurling, nunchuck twirling Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt isn't above breaking o read news >>

Nick Diaz says that he's not going to go after an opponent's injury. Unless it's a cut. You might think you know Nick Diaz. He's mercurial personality. His aggressiveness in the cage. His seemingly u read news >>