Anderson Silva Says He Wont’ Fight in 2014: “This Year is Over for Me”


Anderson-Silva-UFC-148-Workout-9169Although many, including his management and UFC president Dana White, have speculated that we might see Anderson Silva return to the Octagon by the end of 2014, that doesn’t appear to be on the docket for “the Spider.”

Silva, in an interview with Brazilian website Combate.com, said, “This year is over for me. It may be that I fight in the middle of next year.”

That’s a much later timeline than White had been hoping for.

“What’s crazy about (Silva’s) injury is he will be walking without crutches in a few weeks, he will be training in less than six months, and he will be fighting by the end of the year,” White said on SportsNation on ESPN2 in late January.

Silva has been releasing video snippets of his recovery progress. Those videos have already shown him walking without crutches, and more recently show him doing some light training.

Despite his progress, Silva’s comments to Combate.com indicate he isn’t overly eager to rush his return.

He added that his family has been after him to quit fighting for quite some time, but Silva indicated he’s not ready to stop. He does want to return. He’s not rushing it, and he’s also not likely to fulfill his current UFC contract, which calls for 10 bouts.

“I don’t see myself stopping,” said Silva. “But I don’t know if I’m going to fulfill the contract for ten fights.”

It’s nearing three months since Silva’s gruesome injury at UFC 168 on Dec. 28, but that’s really not all that much time considering the nature of his injury; he broke both bones in his left leg.

So for now, we’ll all just have to sit back and wait to see how he heals, and what Silva decides is best for his future, both in and out of the Octagon.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 697 views

Georges St-Pierre is as qualified as anyone to comment on the highly anticipated UFC 183 main event between returning former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva and his fellow returnee, for read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 155 views

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre thinks ex-Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz has dug his own grave by accepting to fight Anderson Silva at 185 pounds at UFC 183 in January. Speak read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 77 views

But had the Stockton slugger agreed to a catchweight instead of middleweight, "GSP would give him the edge against "The Spider." One of the most highly-anticipated "super fights" that never came to b read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 78 views

Nick Diaz’s decision to move up to the UFC middleweight division to take on one of the greatest fighters or all time in Anderson Silva may not have been a very wise decision, according to former UFC read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 120 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was hospitalized on Monday with severe back pain. In sudden and dramatic fashion, Anderson Silva found himself hospitalized with severe back pain follo read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 0 views

Anderson Silva was recently hospitalized in Rio de Janeiro, but his return to the Octagon is not in jeopardy. Silva, who is scheduled to meet former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz on Jan read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 2 views

The highly anticipated fight between former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former Strikeforce and EliteXC champion Nick Diaz has hit another speed bump, but its destination and estimate read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 1 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was apparently hospitalized on Monday, but it won’t affect a major pay-per-view fight he has planned for early next year.Filed under: Featured, News, U read news >>

Jump to: