Anderson Silva Responds to UFC’s $50K Fine; ‘Spider’ Says He Was Unaware of Obligations



According to Anderson Silva, he was not aware of the media obligations that ended up costing him $50,000 on Tuesday.

UFC President Dana White told USA Today on Monday evening that Silva had been fined for electing to fly home to Brazil instead of making Tuesday’s media appearances in Los Angeles. The UFC middleweight champion Tuesday addressed the situation with Brazilian outlet Veja, stating that he did not know about today’s scheduled appointments until he was on his way to the airport.

“I’ve never missed any commitment to the UFC. I would never have made the trip to Brazil if I knew I had to be in Los Angeles,” said Silva. “Everyone knows that I always block my media schedule to devote myself to training, since that’s my main priority. I’m an athlete, and my focus will always be to train and be prepared for the challenges.”

Silva will square off with Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 162, which takes place July 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena and airs live on pay-per-view. The 38-year-old Brazilian has reigned as UFC middleweight champion for more than six years, defending his title a record 10 times in that span. “The Spider” owns notable wins over Chael Sonnen, Yushin Okami, Nate Marquardt and Rich Franklin. Silva last competed on Oct. 13, when he stopped Stephan Bonnar in a light heavyweight attraction at UFC 153.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 45 views

Nevertheless, his supportive family will respect his wishes to continue his mixed martial arts (MMA) career, despite the fact that he broke his leg in his last outing at UFC 168. Former Ultimate Figh read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 98 views

Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz discussed his UFC 183 fight against Anderson Silva on a conference call with the media Wednesday afternoon. Check out the complete audio above. read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 66 views

"The Spider" was the featured guest on today's UFC 183 media conference call, and he had a lot to say. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Anderson Silva took part in a read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 416 views

Check out the social media reaction from fighters, media members and celebrities after Dana White announced the January superfight between Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 61 views

Nick Diaz took part in a solo conference call earlier today (Weds., July 30, 2014) to talk all things mixed martial arts (MMA). Among the many topics discussed were his new three-fight contract with read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 25 views

And it doesn't help that "Spider" will be two months shy of his 40th birthday when he squares off against Nick Diaz. "I believe it's going to be a stand-up fight the entire time. Nick is better on th read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 27 views

Former UFC middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva took part in a media conference call to promote the upcoming “super fight” against Nick Diaz at UFC 183 in January. read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 55 views

But that's how he makes a living, so he doesn't have much choice. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White was finally able to lure former welterweight number one contender Nick Diaz read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

In this Tommy Toehold episode exclusive for SBNation, Not Anderson Silva and Not Nick Diaz turn the tables on Tommy Toehold. read news >>