According to Anderson Silva, he was not aware of the media obligations that ended up costing him $50,000 on Tuesday.

UFC President Dana White told USA Today on Monday evening that Silva had been fined for electing to fly home to Brazil instead of making Tuesday’s media appearances in Los Angeles. The UFC middleweight champion Tuesday addressed the situation with Brazilian outlet Veja, stating that he did not know about today’s scheduled appointments until he was on his way to the airport.

“I’ve never missed any commitment to the UFC. I would never have made the trip to Brazil if I knew I had to be in Los Angeles,” said Silva. “Everyone knows that I always block my media schedule to devote myself to training, since that’s my main priority. I’m an athlete, and my focus will always be to train and be prepared for the challenges.”

Silva will square off with Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 162, which takes place July 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena and airs live on pay-per-view. The 38-year-old Brazilian has reigned as UFC middleweight champion for more than six years, defending his title a record 10 times in that span. “The Spider” owns notable wins over Chael Sonnen, Yushin Okami, Nate Marquardt and Rich Franklin. Silva last competed on Oct. 13, when he stopped Stephan Bonnar in a light heavyweight attraction at UFC 153.

Anderson Silva Calls for Michael Bisping Rematch, Suggests Manchester UFC Fight

Legendary fighter Anderson Silva thinks UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is “afraid” to face him in a rematch. The Brazilian lost to Bisping narrowly in London earlier this year in a pulsati read news >>

Brock Lesnar Responds to PEDs Accusations: I’m a White Boy and Jacked, Deal With It

No matter what you, Mark Hunt, or anyone else thinks about Brock Lesnar, he doesn't really care. "I’m a white boy and I’m jacked, deal with it." read news >>

Will International Fight Week Settle Debate over UFC’s Best Fighter?

Who is the best fighter in the UFC? With so many elite competitors set to hit the cage by the time the Sunday morning rolls around, could this stretch of outstanding action help settle the debate ove read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Daniel Cormier Will Fight Anderson Silva at UFC 200; Tate vs. Nunes to Headline

Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 fight card to fight Anderson Silva. The card has been shuffled, moving Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes to headlining status. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Presser, Including Anderson Silva!

Watch as surprise guest Anderson Silva, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Press Conference with Special Guest Anderson Silva

Watch as Anderson Silva crashes the party, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

VIDEO: Anderson Silva and Dana White Explain Making the Fight with Daniel Cormier

UFC president Dana White and Anderson Silva talk about how it came about that Silva is stepping in to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200. read news >>

Anderson Silva steps up to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

After a earth-shattering last 24 hours, Daniel Cormier found an opponent for UFC 200: UFC legend Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Here's how it all came together and what Silva said about his fight. read news >>

Anderson Silva a Betting Underdog Against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a betting underdog going into his UFC 200 fight against Daniel Cormier. read news >>