Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at UFC 148The first thought that usually comes to mind when thinking about Anderson Silva is the legacy he’s built as the greatest UFC champion to ever compete in the Octagon.

Silva has gone undefeated with a perfect 15-0 record, but some might forget that before he was the greatest ever he was a 17-4 mixed martial artist trying to find the right spot in the sport.

He bounced from promotion to promotion picking up fights, and at the time he never imagined the path that he would one day walk that would turn into the proverbial golden brick road.

“I never thought this, I just wanted to be as good as my coaches because at that time things weren’t as glamorous as they are now. We only had one event which was Pride and they didn’t have my category, there wasn’t my division, you didn’t have my weight class in Pride. So, I always try to find my space, try to be better than I am everyday, but I didn’t have this thing of being a champion, so I just wanted to be better than I used to be the day before,” Silva said on Thursday.

“Now that I’m here I’m aware there’s a lot of responsibility behind this and I remember everyday where I came from, where I am and where I intend to get to.”

Silva had to earn his spot to even land in the UFC, but once he got there he left the middleweight division and a couple of light heavyweights in the wake of his destruction like something out of a Terminator film.

Getting there was tough, but Silva says maintaining his spot as the best in the world has been even tougher.

“I think staying where we are, at the time where we are, to just continue winning to remain as the champion is more difficult,” Silva stated.

“Until you get here you find many problems that you face, you have many difficulties, but I’m lucky that everything has worked out.”

There is a certain hunger that a fighter needs to scratch, claw and climb their way to the top, but it takes an even deeper devotion to being the best to stay there.

Silva’s reign as middleweight champion will have lasted six years as of Oct 14, 2012 with 10 consecutive defenses. No other fighter has even come close to that in UFC history, and it’s a mark that every champion will aspire to reach.

It’s taken a lifetime of dedication for Silva to stay on top, and if he has his way, things won’t be changing any time soon.

“I think the most difficult thing is to stay there. People are demanding things from you all the time, you always have to be focused, and concentrated for anything that might happen,” Silva said.

“It’s always much more difficult to stay there at the top than to get there.”

Make sure to check all of the interviews, articles and videos from UFC 153 on MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Daniel Cormier Will Fight Anderson Silva at UFC 200; Tate vs. Nunes to Headline

Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 fight card to fight Anderson Silva. The card has been shuffled, moving Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes to headlining status. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Presser, Including Anderson Silva!

Watch as surprise guest Anderson Silva, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Press Conference with Special Guest Anderson Silva

Watch as Anderson Silva crashes the party, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

VIDEO: Anderson Silva and Dana White Explain Making the Fight with Daniel Cormier

UFC president Dana White and Anderson Silva talk about how it came about that Silva is stepping in to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200. read news >>

Anderson Silva steps up to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

After a earth-shattering last 24 hours, Daniel Cormier found an opponent for UFC 200: UFC legend Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Here's how it all came together and what Silva said about his fight. read news >>

Anderson Silva a Betting Underdog Against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a betting underdog going into his UFC 200 fight against Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Cormier vs. Silva: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 200

After the initial furore over Anderson Silva stepping in to face Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 following Jon Jones' removal from the card, it was time for the pair to weigh in ahead of their clash on Sat read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Daniel Cormier Grabs Unanimous Decision Over Anderson Silva

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier went the distance with Anderson Silva on Saturday, picking up a unanimous decision on the UFC 200 main card at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anderson Silva Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Daniel Cormier might have been robbed of his opportunity to test himself against Jon Jones, but he still beat a fighter with a case to be considered the greatest of all time at UFC 200. The light hea read news >>