125lbs Flyweight Invicta FC
Amanda Bobby Cooper, 22, 5 ft 3 (Just my good Samaritan opinion... I would click her name)
February 2013 updated... for the original article go here
Immediate Impact - ranked 5 to 7 out of 11 flyweights (Aisling Daly), this division has been ravaged by UFC 115 and 135, so Cooper could rise to the top quickly
- Extensive boxing background, knockout power in her right hand
- Can keep up the pace after round 1, 100% finish rate, with 7 of her 9 finishes taking place after round 1
- Very active with top position... looking to pass, land punches and/or get a submission
- Comfortable grappling, considering she was a pure boxer, and only started doing BJJ/Wrestling 2 and a half years ago, so her development/improvements have been very good, as should be for a 22 year old
- Mixes in takedowns to compliment boxing
- Jan 2013 vs. Kelly Fleury - reversed in dominant position
- Nov 2012 vs. Tracy Emerick - got taken down at will... did well to battle back, but was in danger of losing the decision... limited options with a predominantly boxing attack
- Seeing Cooper get hit by a less technical, but bigger fighter (Emerick) makes me think she would do better at 115lbs. She spoke to me about her weight cut and potentially going to 115:
- "Usually [I] cut about 10-14lbs and I start my weight cut 4 weeks out by eating a strict diet and by the day of weigh ins I only have to cut 4 pounds of water weight. My last cut wasn't hard and I am walking lighter than before...I am only [5 ft 3 inches] and do have a lot of muscle from years of fighting. I've discussed going to 115 with my coach and boyfriend and we may make that decision in the future but for now my build works very well with my fighting style"
- There's more opportunities at 115, but it is also much, much deeper than 125. Including the girls imported to the UFC, I count 12 strawweights that I would choose over Cooper based on what I saw of her at flyweight. However, excluding the UFC imports, it's pretty wide open in Invicta.
- Feb 2014 R2 SUB - Brittany Dugas (7-0 ammy) - An important thing to note is that not a single one of Dugas' 7 opponents had a winning record.
- Feb 2013 R3 TKO - Lauren Foley (4-0 ammy) - none of Foley's opponents had winning records
I'm sure some are wondering about the name and spelling of "Bobby" for a girl. Cooper told me, "Bobby is my dad and both of my grandpas' name." And in another interview she said, "My friends and family call me Bobby (which is my middle name). I have been called that my entire life."
Here's some other things I found interesting. Her dad is apparently an "undefeated boxer in the Marines"
"One night at the boxing gym, right after I graduated high school in 2010, my dad had talked me into doing one MMA fight (just to see where I stood). At first, I told him, "no way, I love boxing", but then by the end of the night, he had convinced me to do a fight. So the next day he called me and told me I had a fight in two weeks..."
"...when I'm not training I love to play video games. I play World of Warcraft, Diablo, Skyrim, Halo and more."
Grammatical errors were corrected for easier reading.