Will Campuzano and Ox Wheeler at WEC 46Since his release from the UFC in early 2011, flyweight Will Campuzano has gotten back on track with three consecutive victories.

Campuzano especially showed a lot of growth in his two fights last year, one of which earned him the Legacy FC 125-pound championship.

“In the Josh Sampo fight, I took a big chance in that fight because he had a good, legit wrestling background and he’d been working on his striking the past couple years and we met in the middle,” said Campuzano. “He’s a bit better that night in the striking department because I was concentrating more on the wrestling and I didn’t know he was that good, but I got the win.

“The (Legacy flyweight title) Jimmy Flick fight, I just think he was so over-matched and I thought I could knock him out really easy and I did.”

Already an effective fighter, Campuzano told MMAWeekly.com that nowadays he’s even more so effective as he’s opened up his game more.

“I feel like things are coming around,” he said. “I used to be real hesitant because of a lack of skills, but I’ve put a lot of work in and I’m pulling the trigger now, and that’s what’s important.

“It seems like the older I get, the meaner I am. I’m in there looking for a scrap now.”

Campuzano’s first title defense of his Legacy flyweight belt will come against up-and-coming BJJ ace Allan Nascimento live on AXS TV on Friday night in Dallas.

“The kid’s good, but he’s young, like 21, so I’m going to be physically stronger than he is, and I don’t think he’s prepared to get hit. So I’m going to go out there and show him what it’s like to be in there with a man,” said Campuzano.

As for Nascimento’s ground game, Campuzano doesn’t feel he’ll get a chance to demonstrate it.

“I don’t think he can wrestle, so he won’t be showcasing any grappling,” said Campuzano. “There’s no way we’re going to the ground.”

Even though he’ll be defending his title for the first time, Campuzano doesn’t feel the circumstances surrounding the fight will affect his outlook.

“There’s no pressure, because like I said, I really enjoy this and I’m always geared up and looking for a fight,” Campuzano stated. “The closer the fight gets, I crave it.”

Looking ahead to the remainder of the year, Campuzano just wants to stay active and face the top opposition he can, wherever he fights.

“I want to fight the best in the world,” he said. “I’ll always take the tough fights and not shy away from any competition.”

Jacob Hebeisen Looking to Make Waves and Stay Busy in Legacy FC Debut

Jacob Hebeisen hasn't fought as often as he'd like in his 10-year career. All that changes on Friday night with Legacy FC 53. read news >>

Can Undefeated Chazz Walton Keep First-Round Finish Streak Alive at Legacy FC 53?

Undefeated lightweight prospect Chazz Walton hopes to keep his first-round finish streak alive at Friday night's Legacy FC 53. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: What Makes a 10-8 Round?

On this episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen discusses just what makes a 10-8 round in mixed martial arts. read news >>

Legacy FC 53 results: Dhiego Lima grinds out main event decision over Antonio Trocoli

Welterweights Dhiego Lima and Antonio Trocoli entered the main event of Legacy FC 52 knowing they needed a win to get their careers back on track. While it wasn’t thrilling, Lima was the man with his read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Results: Derrick Lewis Knocks Out Gabriel Gonzaga and Calls Out Roy Nelson

Former Legacy FC heavyweight champion Derrick Lewis continues to make his mark in the UFC. “The Black Beast” knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86 in Zagreb, Croatia on Sunday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

UFC Fight Night 86 in Zagreb, Croatia wasn't a jam-packed fight card that set the world on fire, but it did deliver on action and talking points. The fight card was headlined by Junior dos Santos vs. read news >>

BJ Penn V Dennis Siver Announced for UFC 199: Latest Comments, Details, Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn will reportedly make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 199 on June 4, where he'll face featherweight Dennis Siver. That's according to MMAjunkie, while Kevin I read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC on FOX 19

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC on FOX 19 event in Florida, which marks the organization’s return to network TV.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Women’s MMA Report: 'Cyborg’s' UFC debut set, Bellator books featherweight title fight

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino makes her long-awaited octagon debut on May 14 at UFC 198. Read more about that fight and other happenings in our latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed u read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC on Fox 19: Evans vs. Teixeira

The UFC makes its way to Tampa on Saturday night with a strong offering on Fox. Khabib Nurmagomedov was originally scheduled to headline the event against Tony Ferguson, but a serious injury to Fergu read news >>