Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conference
The bad news for Alistair Overeem started in March when he failed a pre-fight drug screening that cost him his shot at the UFC heavyweight title that was supposed to take place on tonight’s UFC 146 fight card.

Overeem tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone and was denied a fight license from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which essentially serves as a 9-month suspension from the sport.

Needless to say, UFC President Dana White was none too happy about Overeem’s testing result because it caused him to be pulled from the main event of UFC 146, but it also cost the two from having any further relationship.

“He lied to me. He sat in front of us, he lied to us, I’m not interested. I don’t have to deal with people I don’t want to deal with and I don’t want to deal with him, Lorenzo (Fertitta) will,” White said on Saturday night about Overeem.

If there is a silver lining to all of this for Alistair Overeem, it’s that he may have to sit out for the next nine months, but he won’t lose his job with the UFC.

“He went before the athletic commission and he got his punishment. He’s going to serve his sentence now and when he comes back, he has to apply for a license again and then we’ll go from there,” White said confirming that Overeem will fight in the Octagon again.

The good news mounted for Overeem as White confirmed that despite his personal feelings towards the former Strikeforce and K-1 Grand Prix champion, he won’t suffer any ill will when he returns to the UFC.

As a matter of fact, White says that Overeem’s place in the heavyweight division will remain where it was before, which means the Dutch wrecking machine could easily be right in the thick of the title hunt when he comes back.

“Yeah, I think he should (regain his standing in the division),” White said.

Now it’s just up to Overeem to serve out the remainder of his 9-month ban and then come back to the UFC to see who might be champion at that time, and hope they may offer him a title shot.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 25 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 25 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

UFC 196's Werdum vs. Velasquez headliner gets referee, judges

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today named the officials for next month’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC contender Yoel Romero notified of potential USADA violation

  • 25 days ago
  • 44 views

UFC middleweight contender Yoel Romero is the latest fighter who’s possibly run afoul of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 25 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

  • 23 days ago
  • 2 views

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

  • 23 days ago
  • 3 views

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

A mature Ross Pearson is ready to make a run at the title

  • 24 days ago
  • 0 views

As a 17-fight veteran of the UFC, Ross Pearson probably could have called up UFC matchmaker Joe Silva and asked to have his bout against Francisco Trinaldo moved from Boston to London next month. But read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

  • 23 days ago
  • 4 views

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Eddie Alvarez after Anthony Pettis win: 'I'd love, love, love a shot at the title'

  • 20 days ago
  • 7 views

BOSTON – Eddie Alvarez said he’s often “my biggest critic,” and though he said he usually takes a pessimistic view of his performances, he believes he clearly won Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 co-headl read news >>