Alistair Overeem Wants to Return in December, Fight for Title


Come December, Alistair Overeem hopes to be fighting in the UFC again and he hopes to be fighting Junior dos Santos for the heavyweight title.

“That’s my goal,” Overeem recently told the Sherdog Radio Network. “I know that the UFC will not promote me on their card as long as I’m not licensed. That being said, we’re going to try to get licensed sooner and I’m confident that I will succeed.”

Overeem had been scheduled to fight dos Santos in Las Vegas in May, but a pre-fight drug test revealed that his testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio was more than double the Nevada Athletic Commission’s limit. In April the commission voted to deny Overeem a conditional fight license and prohibited him from applying again until Dec. 27. He’ll be on the shelf at least until then, but he said the time off isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

“The last few months have actually been calm media-wise, which was good,” Overeem said. “I moved to Miami. I’m full-time here now and I got all settled there. I’m still training, always training, always improving my game. Basically took a small step out of the limelight, enjoyed life a little bit, did what I wanted to do because the last five years have been totally crazy … obligation after obligation, fight preparation after fight prep. It came up to seven fights a year and at three years consecutively. I’m actually having some time off now, which I’m enjoying. I’m actually feeling very well.”

Some fans haven’t been particularly happy with him, though, since news spread of his elevated T/E ratio. Overeem previously explained that the ratio was the result of an injection he was prescribed for lingering injuries and that he had no knowledge it contained testosterone. Now he wants to prove he’s a clean fighter.

“I’m going to test regularly,” Overeem said. “I’m now the most tested fighter out there. For me, that’s something I can do, but we also have to realize that there will always be people who are negative, who are against me, so to speak. There are also people who are for me. That’s just the way it goes. I can only do so much, and if people accept that, that’s fine. If they don’t, that’s also fine.”

Regardless, Overeem wants to be fighting again by the end of the year. In the meantime he’s kept his eye on dos Santos, who stopped Overeem’s replacement, Frank Mir, in May.

“I think it was good,” Overeem said of dos Santos’ performance. “He won the fight. He won it dominantly. Other than that, you know, dos Santos, he’s a good fighter. He’s a champ. I don’t really see that surprise in his fight style. I think I’m the one to beat him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:11:25).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 19 days ago
  • 521 views

No wonder Anthony Johnson wants to fight him. It's easy to understand why a fighter like Luke Rockhold can't get past his knockout loss to Vitor Belfort, but I still can't figure out why Alistair Ove read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 297 views

"Cigano" believes Overeem and Barnett called him out just to promote their names; says he's up to fight Stipe Miocic. Junior dos Santos, who was recently called out to fight Alistair Overeem and Josh read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 60 views

Evidently, Alistair Overeem puts little stock in the current hierarchy of the UFC's heavyweight division. In a peculiar interview with Sportskeeda, Overeem, the UFC's seventh-ranked heavyweight, soun read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 1231 views

Sure, blame the new guy! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones suffered a leg injury serious enough to bounce him from the UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, s read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 4 views

And Alistair Overeem by next summer? Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender, Anthony Johnson, is making life easier for promotion matchmakers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby, read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 37 views

Alistair Overeem avoided a three-fight losing streak at UFC 169 in February when he pounded on Frank Mir for 15 minutes en route to a unanimous-decision victory. As "The Reem" looks to get back in th read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 59 views

The latest episode of the Alistair Overeem documentary series, "The Reem," was released on Wednesday. Follow the UFC heavyweight behind the scenes for his last fight against Frank Mir at UFC 169, his read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 25 views

Stipe Miocic still wants to fight Junior dos Santos, and that feeling is mutual. Former UFC champion "Cigano" hasn’t fought since his third bout with heavyweight kingpin Cain Velasquez in October, an read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 40 views

Admit it, the UFC heavyweight division just isn't the same without "Cigano" knocking people out every three months. We miss you! Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight titleholder Ju read news >>