Alistair Overeem UFC 146 press conferenceLast weekend following the action at UFC on Fox 4, UFC President Dana White revealed the news that heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has requested to face Alistair Overeem next instead of Cain Velasquez.

Velasquez was the de facto No. 1 contender after his win at UFC 146, and originally he was rumored to face the man that took the UFC heavyweight title from him at UFC 152 in Toronto this September.

Delays kept happening and the fight never materialized, but then it was revealed that dos Santos had asked to face Overeem instead because he was a “punk” and had been running his mouth too much of late.

Overeem responded on Tuesday night on UFC Tonight, expressing his belief is that dos Santos really doesn’t want the fight to happen in the first place.

“I think he’s afraid to fight me. He was happy that the last fight on May 26 didn’t happen against us. I approached him at the UFC Fighter Summit in Vegas and said, let’s do it. Let’s prove something to the world and lets fight. Then he suddenly acted like he didn’t understand English and how he wants to fight Cain first,” Overeem revealed.

“The fact of the matter is I’m the number one heavyweight in the world and if he wants to be the number one heavyweight, he has to come through me.”

Overeem is currently sidelined until at least the end of December dealing with a suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and at that time he can re-apply for a fight license to compete inside the Octagon. Until that time, dos Santos’ wish will fall on deaf ears because the fight can’t even be scheduled.

Overeem is confident when the time comes to get his license back, it won’t be an issue, but that can’t happen until after Dec. 27 when his suspension comes to an end.

“My manager and I have a good relationship with the (Nevada State Athletic) Commission and we’re taking all steps necessary and following all the rules and I don’t expect any problems to get my license from the commission when the time comes,” commented Overeem.

From his vantage point, Overeem says dos Santos’ words to the UFC mean very little until the bout agreements are issued and the fight is offered. If Dana White does opt to make that fight, however, it won’t take long for Overeem to respond.

“First he wants to fight Cain and now me. Talk all you want. Come into the Octagon. I will immediately say yes. Give me and the fans what they want. But he’s expecting that fight not to happen. I would welcome that fight and want it to happen. I would say yes every time to that fight,” said Overeem.

There’s no doubt that Overeem wants the fight to happen, so he’s sending a message to the UFC heavyweight champion and hoping the bout finally gets made.

“Junior, give me and the fans and the UFC what they want. You’ve already fought Cain. That would just be another win. But a win over me would give you the number one spot,” said Overeem.

“Without a win over me, they’ll always question your championship. So bring it to the table my friend.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Junior Dos Santos wants to rematch Alistair Overeem, but will happily fight Stipe Miocic

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos hasn’t been too successful in getting his next fight.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

The Biggest MMA Turkeys of 2016

This is the time of year when turkeys start to feel nervous. Don't be afraid only for the literal ones, which are killed and eaten en masse, but also for the metaphorical ones who face the chopping b read news >>

Episode No. 11 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 24: Tournament of Champions'

Episode No. 11 of “The Ultimate Fighter 24: Tournament of Champions” opens with UFC President Dana White discussing the semifinal round, which starts with a matchup between No. 1 Alexandre Pantoja of read news >>

Dana White: Thankful for the Fertitta Brothers | MMAWeekly.com

No one will ever do more for the world of mixed martial arts than the Fertitta brothers, at least, not in the eyes of UFC president Dana White. read news >>

Bellator 167's Ilima MacFarlane just told her day job if she wins next fight, she quits

There’s nothing like the threat of unemployment to make you fight harder.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Dana White Comments on Conor McGregor Relinquishing Featherweight Belt

• a day ago

Conor McGregor made history at UFC 205 when he became a two-division champion by virtue of his lightweight title victory over Eddie Alvarez, but he relinquished his featherweight belt on Nov. 26. On read news >>

Alex Nicholson speaks on alleged domestic violence incident; UFC has cleared him

UFC Fight Night 98 fighter Alex Nicholson told MMAjunkie a third-party investigation looking into an alleged domestic violence incident between him and his fiancee is “cleared up.”Filed under: Featur read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Dominick Cruz and Junior Dos Santos

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Dominick Cruz and Junior Dos Santos.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Junior Dos Santos

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Junior Dos Santos.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 205's Khabib Nurmagomedov: After I beat Michael Johnson, I deserve a title shot

NEW YORK – When undefeated UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov told his promoter he wanted to fight at UFC 205, the answer was, sure, no problem. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>