Alistair Overeem Recieves Fight License from Nevada Commission to Compete at UFC 156


Alistair Overeem 42412 NSAC HearingAlistair Overeem has been approved for his fight license in Nevada, making his bout with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 156 official.

Overeem appeared in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday to seek approval following his nine-month de facto suspension following a drug test in 2012 that indicated a positive result for elevated levels of testosterone.

In April 2012 following the drug test result, Overeem was denied a license and given a nine-month waiting period before he could re-apply in the state of Nevada. That time period expired in late December, and on Tuesday he had his day in front of the commission.

According to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, in the last nine-plus months, Overeem has submitted a total of five drug tests of his own accord, all of which came back negative.

In addition, the commission tested Overeem randomly on Nov. 16 and Dec. 21, 2012, with those tests also returning negative results.

“I’m ready to get my life back on track,” said Overeem when speaking to the commission.

The hearing became a formality at that point with the commissioners asking Overeem if there was any advice he could offer them on their random drug testing policies following his experience with the process over the last year.

The commissioners then motioned for Overeem to receive his fight license. He received a unanimous approval from the panel.

Now Overeem’s focus can shift back to fighting, where he faces Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva on Feb. 2 in Las Vegas with a possible shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez on the line.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC 156 news and fight coverage.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 21 days ago
  • 5 views

Hector Lombard failed his UFC 182 fight night drug test, according to a Nevada Athletic Commission report obtained by MMAFighting.com. The 37-year-old Lombard tested positive for the anabolic steroid read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 4 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday confirmed that Anderson Silva has failed a second drug test, his UFC 183 post-fight screen. read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 2 views

Roy Nelson discusses his next fight against Alistair Overeem. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 36 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission released the UFC 183 medical suspensions on Tuesday. Miesha Tate is among the five fighters facing potential six-month suspensions. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

The circumstances surrounding Nick Diaz's failed UFC 183 drug test just keep getting worse. News broke yesterday that Diaz, along with his UFC 183 main event co-star Anderson Silva, failed a drug tes read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 1119 views

You likely saw this coming... Cesar Gracie got what he wanted. Just like that, Anderson Silva's 18th career Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) victory has been overturned to a "No Contest" by the N read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 7 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva passed his second out-of-competition test in connection with this past month’s UFC 183 event, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed u read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 0 views

Cole Miller fought the best fight of his UFC career against Sam Sicilia. That was more than a year ago, and no one hates that fact more than a young man who knows the benefit of staying busy in this read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

Two fighters failed to make weight for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night event in Bloomfield, Colo., and UFC president Dana White says there will be consequences for showing up heavy. read news >>