As expected, Alistair Overeem will not compete at UFC 146, but in his first statement since failing a drug screen on March 27, the Dutch heavyweight promised to return to the Octagon “soon.”

Through Authentic Sports Management, Overeem on Monday officially announced his withdrawal from UFC 146. The former Strikeforce heavyweight king was scheduled to appear before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday but has instead elected to request a postponement of that hearing.

“I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved,” Overeem said in the statement. “I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

“I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs,” he continued. “I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.”

Following a pre-fight press conference to promote UFC 146, six fighters scheduled to compete on the card -- Overeem, dos Santos, Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva -- were tested randomly. While the other five competitors’ tests came back negative, Overeem submitted a sample with a testosterone to epitestosterone ratio of 14-to-1, more than double the allowable ratio of 6-to-1.

In his statement, Overeem blames the result on a prescribed medication he took to treat an injury he suffered before the March 27 press conference.

“Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone,” Overeem said. “I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.”

For a while, it appeared as though the UFC was going to wait on Overeem’s originally scheduled April 24 hearing before making decisions regarding the May 26 card, but on Friday night Dana White announced on Twitter that Frank Mir would take Overeem’s spot against dos Santos in the UFC 146 main event. The main card shuffling continued on Sunday, as it was determined that Silva would move to the co-main event -- the spot Mir had vacated -- to take on Velasquez.

Overeem became the No. 1 contender at UFC 141, when he defeated Brock Lesnar via first-round technical knockout at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Overeem had been asked to submit a pre-fight urine sample prior to that Dec. 30 bout, but he was unable to do so immediately due to travel between the United States and the Netherlands. Later, Overeem submitted a sample to an approved testing facility in the United Kingdom and was cleared to fight on the condition that he would be subjected to two random tests after that bout.

“I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead,” Overeem said. “Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.”

Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova Weigh-in Video Replay

The sixteen fighters competing on the Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova fight card on Saturday officially weighed in at the Punishment Training Center on Friday. read news >>

Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova Weigh-In Results – Title Fights Officially Set

The fourteen female fighters competing on Saturday's Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova fight card officially weighed in on Friday in California. read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz Weigh-in Video Replay

The 26 fighters competing on Sunday's UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz fight card in Boston officially weighed in at the Wang Theatre on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Weigh-in Results: Bantamweight Title Fight Officially Set

T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz are ready to headline the first ever FOX Sports 1 UFC Fight Night card to feature a championship bout following Saturday's weigh-ins. read news >>

Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details

As expected former two-division champ and 2015 UFC Hall of Fame inductee B.J. Penn has ended his retirement. What’s next, though? That’s still to be determined.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

CM Punk Warned by Mickey Gall Ahead of Potential UFC Showdown

UFC newcomer Mickey Gall has warned wrestling superstar CM Punk ahead of their expected clash in the Octagon, but said he respects the former WWE champion for making the switch to Dana White's compan read news >>

Cain Velasquez apologizes for UFC 196 withdrawal: 'I can't ignore this injury'

After officially withdrawing from UFC 196 with a back injury, former UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez has issued an apology.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator notebook: Coker discusses Overeem, 'Bendo,' Minakov's expected 'mid-2016' return

There's plenty going on in the world of Bellator President Scott Coker ahead of Friday's Bellator 148 event, and the longtime MMA exec, gave his thoughts on a number of those topics, including his pu read news >>

White: Ex-champ Cain Velasquez headed for back surgery, 4-week recovery expected

Cain Velasquez will reportedly undergo surgery following his most recent injury and fight withdrawal. According to Dana White, Velasquez is expected to make a complete recovery within four weeks of g read news >>