At 41 years old, Alexis Vila is far past what most consider the prime years for a professional athlete, but he feels that his mixed martial arts journey is just beginning.

The American Top Team representative made a splash in his Bellator debut last year, defeating then-featherweight champion Joe Warren by knockout in the opening round of the promotion’s Season 5 135-pound tournament. The cocky Warren had earned most of the attention for his bid to become a two-division champion in the days leading up to the bout, but the brutal left hook that sent the former Greco-Roman wrestling world champion’s head bouncing off the canvas made Vila an immediate person of interest.

Vila followed his breakout performance with a split decision triumph against Marcos Galvao but fell to Eduardo Dantas in the tournament finals, leaving him one fight short of a title shot against bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky. Though the ending was disappointing, it still proved an impressive run for the 1996 Olympic freestyle wrestling bronze medalist.

“Last year was the first time I ever fought at 135 pounds, and now I feel a lot more comfortable at this weight,” Vila, a former world-ranked flyweight, recently told “I’m in great condition now, and I know what everyone brings to the table.”

Tonight, Vila will attempt to pick up where he left off in 2011 when he faces off with Luis Alberto Nogueira in a bantamweight tournament quarterfinal at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Also on the Bellator 65 card is the title bout between Dantas and Makovsky. Playing the role of spectator for the championship matchup only serves as motivation for Vila.

“This time, it’s personal for me. I don’t like to lose, so it’s very important for me to come back from my recent defeat to Eduardo Dantas and win this tournament,” Vila said. “I don’t like to be second to nobody. I came to Bellator to be the best, and I’m going to be the best.

“I hope to get a rematch with Eduardo Dantas one day, but in order to get my rematch, I’m going to have to win this tournament,” he continued. “That’s what I’m here to do.”

That starts with defeating Nogueira, who fell to Ed West in the Season 5 tournament quarterfinals. “Betao” rebounded to defeat Zak Laird at Bellator 53, however, giving the 26-year-old Brazilian eight victories in his last nine appearances.

“Luis Nogueira is a good fighter, but I’m better. He’s a wrestler, but he likes to stand up, so I think he’s going to be a really good matchup for me,” Vila said. “I have good hands, and he’s going to feel them when we fight.”

While “The Exorcist” won’t hesitate to put his numbing knockout power on display against Nogueira, he is also becoming more well-rounded in the cage.

“I’m always working to evolve and get better in the gym. In MMA, everyone is constantly improving,” he said. “I’m going to be keeping my strengths in this tournament but also showing how much I’ve improved since my last fight.”

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>

Bellator 145's Michael Chandler: 'I just know I'm better than Will Brooks'

Bellator executives haven’t come right out and told Michael Chandler what he’s fighting for at Bellator 145 next week, other than a paycheck and a possible win on his resume.Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>

New Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho wants to win GLORY title, too

Newly minted Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho would like to add kickboxing titleholder to his list of accomplishments.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>