At 41 years old, Alexis Vila is far past what most consider the prime years for a professional athlete, but he feels that his mixed martial arts journey is just beginning.

The American Top Team representative made a splash in his Bellator debut last year, defeating then-featherweight champion Joe Warren by knockout in the opening round of the promotion’s Season 5 135-pound tournament. The cocky Warren had earned most of the attention for his bid to become a two-division champion in the days leading up to the bout, but the brutal left hook that sent the former Greco-Roman wrestling world champion’s head bouncing off the canvas made Vila an immediate person of interest.

Vila followed his breakout performance with a split decision triumph against Marcos Galvao but fell to Eduardo Dantas in the tournament finals, leaving him one fight short of a title shot against bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky. Though the ending was disappointing, it still proved an impressive run for the 1996 Olympic freestyle wrestling bronze medalist.

“Last year was the first time I ever fought at 135 pounds, and now I feel a lot more comfortable at this weight,” Vila, a former world-ranked flyweight, recently told Sherdog.com. “I’m in great condition now, and I know what everyone brings to the table.”

Tonight, Vila will attempt to pick up where he left off in 2011 when he faces off with Luis Alberto Nogueira in a bantamweight tournament quarterfinal at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Also on the Bellator 65 card is the title bout between Dantas and Makovsky. Playing the role of spectator for the championship matchup only serves as motivation for Vila.

“This time, it’s personal for me. I don’t like to lose, so it’s very important for me to come back from my recent defeat to Eduardo Dantas and win this tournament,” Vila said. “I don’t like to be second to nobody. I came to Bellator to be the best, and I’m going to be the best.

“I hope to get a rematch with Eduardo Dantas one day, but in order to get my rematch, I’m going to have to win this tournament,” he continued. “That’s what I’m here to do.”

That starts with defeating Nogueira, who fell to Ed West in the Season 5 tournament quarterfinals. “Betao” rebounded to defeat Zak Laird at Bellator 53, however, giving the 26-year-old Brazilian eight victories in his last nine appearances.

“Luis Nogueira is a good fighter, but I’m better. He’s a wrestler, but he likes to stand up, so I think he’s going to be a really good matchup for me,” Vila said. “I have good hands, and he’s going to feel them when we fight.”

While “The Exorcist” won’t hesitate to put his numbing knockout power on display against Nogueira, he is also becoming more well-rounded in the cage.

“I’m always working to evolve and get better in the gym. In MMA, everyone is constantly improving,” he said. “I’m going to be keeping my strengths in this tournament but also showing how much I’ve improved since my last fight.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Monday Morning Analyst: UFC 184, Bellator 134, Invicta 11 and more

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

This past weekend allowed us to witness a huge range of combat sports events, but we have a limited amount of time. So, we're focusing our energies on UFC 184, Bellator 134 and Invicta 11. But as I m read news >>

Bellator Sues to Block Rampage Jackson's UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA has filed a lawsuit to try and block Quinton “Rampage” Jackson from making his UFC return. read news >>

Bellator goes to court to keep 'Rampage' Jackson from fighting in UFC

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

If you're looking forward to a slugfest between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Fabio Maldonado on April 25th in Montreal at UFC 186, Bellator MMA has other ideas. It was a newsworthy weekend for Quint read news >>

Bellator Files Lawsuit Against Rampage, Puts UFC Return in Jeopardy

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator isn’t letting Quinton “Rampage” Jackson go without a fight. A statement was released to Bleacher Report on Monday detailing a lawsuit that has been filed against the MMA legend for signing w read news >>

UFC 186: Bellator lawsuit may force Rampage Jackson off card

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA has filed a court injunction in New Jersey to prevent Quinton Jackson from returning to the UFC this April. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is scheduled to fight Fa read news >>

'Rampage' Jackson calls 'King Mo' Lawal a coward following Bellator 134 victory over Cheick Kongo

  • 27 days ago
  • 81 views

It's no secret that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal aren't pals -- having sparred both verbally and physically in the past -- but Jackson couldn't resist getting in an extra di read news >>

Bellator files lawsuit against 'Rampage' Jackson ahead of scheduled UFC return

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator MMA today filed a lawsuit to block onetime tournament winner Quinton Jackson from fighting in the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator files court injunction to remove Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson from UFC 186 competition

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

The future of former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is anything but clear. Despite leaving Bellator in December of 2014 after three fights with the organization and being booked oppos read news >>

Video: Does Kimbo Slice have a Bellator future beyond the Ken Shamrock fight?

  • 28 days ago
  • 14 views

After Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson returns from a five-year layoff to fight MMA trailblazer Ken Shamrock at Bellator 138, what’s next? Does the former underground bareknuckle brawler have plans beyon read news >>