Alexander Gustafsson doubts Daniel Cormier will spoil potential rematch with Jon Jones

UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

Alexander Gustafsson pulled a 'GSP' moments after Jon Jones' win over Daniel Cormier at UFC 182 The fighter next in line for a shot at Jon Jones' crown wasn't dazzled by the champion's performance at read news >>

Jon Jones did not have much trouble dealing with Daniel Cormier at UFC 182, but Jones' 2013 rival, Alexander Gustafsson, could not help but yawn during the fight, it seems. Posting on Facebook, the l read news >>

• 7 hours ago

From the moment Anthony "Rumble" Johnson forced his way into the next shot at Jon Jones' UFC light heavyweight title by running over Alexander Gustafsson on Sunday night, one logical next fight in th read news >>

• an hour ago

Daniel Cormier came up short in his bid to dethrone Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones earlier this month at UFC 182 (watch full fight video highlights here). T read news >>

Like many MMA fans, I'd love to see Jon Jones fight Alexander Gustafsson again, but the bout with Daniel Cormier Saturday in Las Vegas at UFC 182 is Bones' defining fight. We may never see a more gen read news >>

What is Jon Jones' game plan for defeating Daniel Cormier in the UFC 182 main event, which takes place this Sat. night (Jan. 3, 2015) inside MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada? That's for him to know and read news >>

Daniel Cormier believes Jon Jones has only faced adversity once as an MMA fighter. And he plans on changing that. "The only time we ever saw him in a real gritty dog fight was against Alexander Gusta read news >>

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones successfully defended his title for the eighth time with a unanimous decision victory over Daniel Cormier in today’s UFC 182 headliner. Check out the Twitter read news >>

The man who had his rematch with Jon Jones taken away has a choice phrase for the champ’s title defense in tonight’s UFC 182 pay-per-view headliner. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>