UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

Daniel Cormier believes he has mental edge over Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192

Daniel Cormier believes Alexander Gustafsson's flirtation with retirement after his loss to Anthony Johnson is a sign of weakness. Top-ranked light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson was so s read news >>

Ryan Bader was Surprised Alexander Gustafsson Got Title Shot Over Him

Fourth-ranked light heavyweight Ryan Bader believes he was passed over when the UFC lined up champion Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson to headline UFC 192. read news >>

Glover Teixeira Believes UFC 205-Pound Landscape Makes Him a Contender

Considering the dearth of UFC light-heavyweight title contenders, Glover Teixeira believes his strong performance in Nashville returns him to contender status. read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier doesn't see Glover Teixeira as threat: 'What's he going to do?'

Glover Teixeira believes his UFC Fight Night 73 victory over Ovince Saint Preux entered his name in the UFC light heavyweight title contender discussion. Champion Daniel Cormier isn’t buying it.Filed read news >>

Video: Former UFC champ Jon Jones mentors at Boys & Girls Club in Albuquerque

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones was spotted at a Boys & Girls club in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he was mentoring children and delivered motivational speeches. It appears as thoug read news >>

UFC 192: Daniel Cormier says he has mental edge over Alexander Gustafsson after 'Mauler's' knockout loss

Mixed martial arts (MMA) -- or any other combat sport, for that matter -- is as much mental as it is physical. And Daniel Cormier seems to think he has a distinct mental advantage over Alexander Gust read news >>

Sorry Daniel Cormier, but Jon Jones coming back 'a lot sooner than you think' and 'will be champion again'

• a day ago

Daniel Cormier is the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion and will be defending his 205-pound strap against Alexander Gustafsson in the UFC 192 pay-per-view (PPV) main eve read news >>

Daniel Cormier: I have a mental advantage over Alexander Gustafsson

Although Daniel Cormier thinks Alexander Gustafsson is a “head-scratcher” of an opponent and would prefer to fight Jon Jones, he is feeling extremely confident that he’ll defend his title when they m read news >>

Video of Jon Jones Training at the New Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA Gym Surfaces

It's been tough to find Jon Jones over recent months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champion popped up on social media on Wednesday during a YouTube video posted by lightweight contender Donal read news >>

Rousey on Mayweather: 'When he learns to read and write, he can text me'

• a day ago

Ronda Rousey believes that she makes more that Floyd Mayweather does 'per second', and took a shot at his reading skills too. UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey made the news yesterday fo read news >>