UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

From Around the Web

Jon Jones back on heavyweight train, believes he could beat champ Velasquez

UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones is still thinking about moving up a division, changing his mind after previously writing off fights at heavyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones admits he will 'never' look at Anderson Silva as a cheater

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones explains why he does not consider the former middleweight kingpin a cheater. Last month, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva sent shockwaves throu read news >>

Daniel Cormier criticizes Anthony Johnson for fake brawl with UFC champ Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier has mixed thoughts – not all of them good – about the fake brawl staged by UFC champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson at this past Saturday’s “UFC: Welcome to the Show” press conferenc read news >>

Jon Jones weighing his options after 'foul play' in handling of failed drug test

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones discusses his failed drug test for cocaine metabolites and how he felt about the handling of the tests. read news >>

Bonus Watch! Potential UFC 184 'Rousey vs Zingano' award winners tonight in Los Angeles

UFC marches into Hollywood for a stellar match up of unbeaten women's bantamweight fighters tonight (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015). Before the women throw down atop the card, check out which fighters and figh read news >>

Video: Watch UFC champ Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson give Dana White a heart attack

LOS ANGELES – For a minute there, UFC President Dana White clearly had a look on his face that suggested the fight promotion had another PR disaster on its hands.Filed under: Featured, Featured Video read news >>

UFC 184's Valmir Lazaro wants 'war' with Krause: 'If I take one step back, I take three forward'

Valmir Lazaro believes he failed to reach his true potential in his UFC debut. But he doesn’t intend to let that happen again when he enters the octagon for the second time at UFC 184.Filed under: Ne read news >>

GIF: UFC champ Jon Jones, opponent Anthony Johnson troll Dana White with hilarious fake brawl

Dana's face is priceless! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass put together a special "Welcome to the Show" press conference this afternoon (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015), highlighting several of the up read news >>

Jon Jones, Anthony Johnson scare Dana White with fake brawl prank

LOS ANGELES -- UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson scared Dana White by pulling off a fake brawl at the "Welcome to the Show" event Saturday afternoon. read news >>