UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson was targeted for September, but injury will delay

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier knows his first title defense will come against Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson, but it won’t happen when the two originally planned.Filed under: read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson delayed due to Cormier injury

Daniel Cormier will still defend his UFC light heavyweight title for the first time against Alexander Gustafsson, but it won't take place at UFC 191 as expected. It looks like we'll have to wait a li read news >>

Daniel Cormier catches injury bug, fight with Alexander Gustafsson 'slightly' delayed

An injury to recently-crowned UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Daniel Cormier, will slightly delay his first defense of the title, according to a MMAjunkie.com. Cormier (16-1) was expected to face lan read news >>

Daniel Cormier reveals what happened after telling Alexander Gustafsson their title fight was delayed

The UFC light heavyweight champion will seek treatment for his knee, which has a torn ACL, and hopes to defend his title against Alexander Gustafsson before the end of 2015. NEW YORK--Daniel Cormier read news >>

Daniel Cormier defends title against Alexander Gustafsson in UFC 192 main event

Daniel Cormier got what he wanted. The newly minted UFC light heavyweight champion was hoping his first title defense would be in Housotn, which is not too far from where he grew up in Lafayette, La. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson booked as UFC 192 headliner in Houston

The expected main event for the UFC’s return to Houston in October now is official, and a new champ has his first title defense lined up. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 192: Daniel Cormier Defends Against Alexander Gustafsson in Main Event

In the end, Daniel Cormier got his wish: He's fighting in the South again. The Ultimate Fighting Championship is returning to Houston for UFC 192 on October 3, and the event will be headlined by a li read news >>

Daniel Cormier set to defend title against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192

Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson has been made official for UFC 192. Daniel Cormier's first title defense has been made official. Although rumored for a while, the new light heavyweight champi read news >>

Daniel Cormier to Defend 205-Pound Title Against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192

Daniel Cormier will defend his UFC light heavyweight title against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192, officials announced on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 192: Daniel Cormier vs Alexander Gustafsson championship main event set

"DC" meets "The Mauler" in a clash of hard-hitting light heavyweights in H-town. Recently-crowned Light Heavyweight titleholder of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Daniel Cormier will face former read news >>