Alexander Gustafsson doubts Daniel Cormier will spoil potential rematch with Jon Jones

UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

From Around the Web

Even before they went five rounds at UFC 182 in January, neither light heavyweight champion Jon Jones or his opponent Daniel Cormier thought they'd be rid of each other in one night. With Jones cappi read news >>

Sounds like Alexander Gustafsson's mother was going to take a page out of the Nick Diaz playbook and launch a full-scale attack on UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones while "Bones" was laid up i read news >>

Daniel Cormier has mixed thoughts – not all of them good – about the fake brawl staged by UFC champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson at this past Saturday’s “UFC: Welcome to the Show” press conferenc read news >>

After their title fight, Alexander Gustafsson's mom wanted to knock Jon Jones out when she saw him in the hospital. The light heavyweight title bout at UFC 165 was truly an entertaining back and fort read news >>

• a day ago

Daniel Cormier thought the fake brawl between Anthony Johnson and Jon Jones was funny, but didn't think it was the direction that Johnson should be going ahead of his title shot. A few months before read news >>

• a day ago

Did Anthony Johnson just show his hand? The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender was all "buddy-buddy" with reigning division kingpin Jon Jones, after the two engage read news >>

• a day ago

Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson had everyone eating out of the palm of their hands after staging a fake fight at Saturday’s "UFC: Welcome to the Show" press conference. Everyone, that is, except Daniel read news >>

• 18 hours ago

UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones is still thinking about moving up a division, changing his mind after previously writing off fights at heavyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans delves into the upcoming title fight between Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson. read news >>