UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

Tweet of the Day: Malki Kawa slams Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Jon Jones manager, Malki Kawa ridicules the Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson light-heavyweight title fight. Yesterday, the UFC announced that Daniel Cormier's first light-heavyweight title def read news >>

Sorry Daniel Cormier, but Alexander Gustafsson believes you're not a real UFC champion until you beat Jon Jones

Embrace the asterisk! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender, Alexander Gustafsson, is once again fighting for the title, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense read news >>

Jon Jones' manager Malki Kawa: UFC mocking the belt with Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson title fight

Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier will defend his 205-pound strap against new division No. 1 contender Alexander Gustafsson in the main event of read news >>

Gustafsson believes Cormier has ‘tons’ of weaknesses he can exploit during title fight

Former title challenger Alexander Gustafsson believes that current champion Daniel Cormier has “tons” of weaknesses that can be exploited during their upcoming title fight. Several Saturdays ago, the read news >>

Morning Report: Coach Mike Winkeljohn believes 'there's a possibility' Jon Jones never fights again, says Daniel Cormier

Coach Mike Winkeljohn has never been afraid to tell it like it is. The head trainer at Jackson's MMA in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Winkeljohn hasn't been thrilled with prized pupil and former UFC light read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson headlines UFC 191 on September 5th

The UFC is bypassing Ryan Bader and instead awarding the next light heavyweight title shot to Alexander Gustafsson against new champion Daniel Cormier. It looks like UFC light heavyweight champion Da read news >>

New UFC Champ Daniel Cormier to Defend Title Against Alexander Gustafsson

Daniel Cormier will defense his new UFC light heavyweight belt against Alexander Gustafsson, Dana White said on Wednesday. read news >>

Dana White: UFC 'looking at' Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson for 205-pound title

The UFC 187 post-fight confrontation between Daniel Cormier and Ryan Bader seemed to have all the juice to set up a future light heavyweight championship fight. It appears now that may not be the cas read news >>

Dana White: Daniel Cormier likely to defend title against Alexander Gustafsson

The moment Daniel Cormier strapped the UFC light heavyweight title around his waist, the speculation started on who would be the first challenger to his championship. Most want to see Cormier rematch read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Alexander Gustafsson UFC title fight in the works, according to Dana White

The first challenger for newly-crowned UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Daniel Cormier, was announced on Wednesday night (June 3, 2015). And it's not Ryan Bader, who many expected. Despite his four-fi read news >>