UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

From Around the Web

Alexander Gustafsson on UFC 187 main event: Anthony Johnson hits harder but Jon Jones will win the fight

Former UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson suggests that Anthony Johnson is stronger than Jon Jones, but expects the defending champ to retain the title. read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson confident he could beat Anthony Johnson ‘six days out of seven’

UFC light-heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson still believes he would beat Anthony Johnson on most occasions. Just a few months ago, Alexander Gustafsson went from perennial contender in the light-heavy read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Glover Teixeira to headline UFC Fight Night 69 in Berlin

Former light-heavyweight title challengers Alexander Gustafsson and Glover Teixeira will headline the UFC’s upcoming event in Germany.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson: Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson hits harder than Jon Jones

Swedish light heavyweight star Alexander Gustafsson's opinion of the UFC 187 matchup between UFC champion Jon Jones and challenger Anthony "Rumble" Johnson carries more weight than most. Gustafsson, read news >>

Ryan Bader: I want to knock Daniel Cormier out and earn a title shot

UFC light-heavyweight Ryan Bader suggested that he is capable of knocking Daniel Cormier out. read news >>

UFC 187: Alexander Gustafsson says Anthony Johnson punches harder, but Jon Jones wins the fight

It looks like "Rumble's" punching power won't be enough to dethrone "Bones," according to "The Mauler." When looking at the most powerful punchers in all of mixed martial arts (MMA), Anthony Johnson read news >>

Morning Report: Daniel Cormier says he can't promise he wouldn't 'lose his s**t' if he ran into Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier might be getting over the loss, but he's certainly not done with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Jones scored a unanimous decision victory over Cormier in the main event at U read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Daniel Cormier might lose his s--t around Jon Jones

"There is no relationship between Jon and I. He won. He won on January 3, but that's pretty much all that happened. Nothing changed. Nothing will change and we will fight again. We'll make sure the r read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68: Ryan Bader wants Jon Jones rematch with knockout win over Daniel Cormier

Ryan Bader looks to earn himself a rematch against Jon Jones to prove he's a better fighter than in their initial meeting. And he plans on earning that fight by knocking out Daniel Cormier at UFC Fig read news >>