Alexander Gustafsson doubts Daniel Cormier will spoil potential rematch with Jon Jones

UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

The spotlight in no longer so bright on Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier’s brewing feud, but the upcoming title challenger recently dropped an interesting nugget on social media.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Very rarely does a fight come together via honest divisional math that has as much heat and validity as Jon Jones versus Daniel Cormier. That isn’t to say that there haven’t been some very lucrative read news >>

Aside from Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson, TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao 2 was the most anticipated of all championship rematches. Because of apparent complications with Barao's weight cut, that b read news >>

One of the casualties of Jon Jones having to postpone his light heavyweight title defense against Daniel Cormier until January was Alexander Gustafsson, the original No. 1 contender. The Swede Gustaf read news >>

Most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans got a kick out of the UFC 178 media day brawl between Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and division No. 1 contender Daniel read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier was postponed from September to January after the UFC light heavyweight champion suffered a torn meniscus in his knee and an ankle injury in training, and Dana White thin read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson said he’s received assurance from the UFC that he’ll fight the winner of January’s UFC 182 headliner between light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and challenger Daniel Cormier.Fi read news >>

Which is why "Rumble" is confused as to why "The Mauler" is trying to belittle his status, when it wasn't too long ago that no one knew who the Swede was. Alexander Gustafsson's star seemed to shine read news >>

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>