UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson believes Jon Jones rematch will remain intact following UFC 178.

While the rivalry between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continues to heat up at an incredible pace, Alexander Gustafsson plans to make a quick recovery and resume silently stalk his prey.

Gustafsson, who had worked his way back to the position of the division's top contender, was scheduled to meet Jon Jones in a highly anticipated rematch at UFC 178 in Las Vegas, but suffered a knee injury that forced him out of the contest. That brought about the decision to slot undefeated former Olympian Daniel Cormier in the main event on relatively short notice.

Although the Swede proclaimed that the injury was far from "serious", he was simply not willing to take the risk of not being at 100 percent for his title rematch.

"[It's] not serious at all," Gustafsson stated on The MMA Hour. "It's actually one of the easiest knee injuries you could have. It's a very easy operation, it takes maybe 15-20 minutes. The recovery time is just a few weeks, and you can walk home from the surgery. It's not a big deal at all. The thing is, it's one of those things where it's a small problem that can get very big if you don't do anything about it.

"For me to have a 10-12 week camp against Jones, I need to be 100 percent. I can't go into that cage knowing that something is hurting. I need to be 100 percent. We decided that I needed to have that operation."

When asked whom he was rooting to win the fight, Gustafsson gave an all-too-obvious response:

"No disrespect to DC, I think he's a very great opponent and a great athlete, I think he's a very tough fighter and a hard-working guy, but I believe Jones will win the fight," he said. I see myself fighting Jones," he said. "That's what I want. Nothing else. That's what I want. I'm not saying anything else, and I'm really, really hoping that I get my chance.

"I will do my operation, and I'll have my few weeks of rehab, and I'm going to come back stronger than ever. When my knee is healed, I'm going to be 100 percent. I'm going to be better than ever. I'm really hoping that I get my title. I want my title."

Transcription taken from MMAFighting.com.

Daniel Cormier believes the loss of Jon Jones 'hurts the sport'

UFC championship aspirant Daniel Cormier assesses Jon Jones' recent run-in with the law and how his absence will affect the sport. UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Daniel Cormier recently spoke read news >>

Morning Report: Anthony Johnson welcomes return fight with Jon Jones, but believes Daniel Cormier is more dangerous

While former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sorts out his legal matters, Daniel Cormier get another shot at redemption when he faces Anthony Johnson this weekend at UFC 187. Johnson doesn't read news >>

Anthony Johnson Says Daniel Cormier is a ‘Tougher Fight’ for Him Than Jon Jones

• 20 hours ago

Top-ranked light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson believes his UFC 187 opponent Daniel Cormier is a tougher match-up for him than former champion Jon Jones. read news >>

Daniel Cormier reveals Cain Velasquez’s advice following first career defeat to Jon Jones

• 16 hours ago

UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Daniel Cormier discusses the advice Cain Velasquez gave him following his first career loss, as well as whether the heavyweight champ wants to fight Jon Jones. read news >>

Jon Jones posts $2,500 bail, released from custody on Monday night

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones was released from custody on a $2,500 bail. It took all of three hours for Jon Jones to turn himself into law enforcement officers and post bail. According to read news >>

Jon Jones hit-and-run case being monitored by Nevada Athletic Commission

The Nevada Athletic Commission is monitoring UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones following a hit-and-run on Sunday. Jon Jones may have bailed himself out of custody in approximately three hours read news >>

Jon Jones' situation is already bad, but it's up to UFC not to make it worse

UFC light-heavyweight Jon Jones took a bad situation and made it worse when he allegedly fled the scene of an accident that injured a pregnant woman. Now it’s up to the UFC to show that there are con read news >>

Jon Jones suspended, stripped of title; Daniel Cormier fights Anthony Johnson at UFC 187

In a bombshell announcement on Fox Sports Live, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Jon Jones has been stripped of his belt, which will now be contested between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson read news >>

Daniel Cormier reacts to Jon Jones getting stripped of title and replacing him at UFC 187

As announced on Tuesday night on "FOX Sports Live," Daniel Cormier will now fight Anthony Johnson for the undisputed UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas. Jon Jones was strip read news >>