A welterweight bout between Alex Garcia (12-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Matt Dwyer (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has been targeted for next month’s UFC 176 event.
Garcia and his management team recently announced the matchup, though UFC officials haven’t made a formal announcement.
UFC 176 takes place Aug. 2 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. In the main event, featherweight champion Jose Aldo rematches Chad Mendes.
Garcia vs. Dwyer will likely be part of the prelims.
Garcia looks for his third straight UFC win and his seventh consecutive victory overall. The 26-year-old Dominican fighter, who trains out of Tristar Gym in Montreal, knocked out Ben Wall in his promotional debut, and in March, he scored a split-decision victory over Sean Spencer. He has 10 stoppages in 12 career wins.
He now takes on Dwyer, a promotional newcomer. The 24-year-old Canadian has recently competed in his home country for the Battlefield Fight League promotion, where he’s scored five consecutive knockout victories. Most recently, he’s posted wins over big-show vets Shonie Carter and DaMarques Johnson.
The latest UFC 176 card includes:
- Champ Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes - for featherweight title
- Gegard Mousasi vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Fabricio Camoes vs. Gray Maynard
- Shayna Baszler vs. Bethe Correia
- Jussier Formiga vs. Zach Makovsky
- Walmir Lazaro vs. James Vick
- Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo
- Danny Castillo vs. Tony Ferguson
- Beneil Dariush vs. Tony Martin
- Matt Dwyer vs. Alex Garcia
For the latest on UFC 176, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Alex Garcia)
view original article >>