alex-garcia.jpgIf Alex Garcia‘s parents would have had their way, “The Dominican Nightmare” would be terrorizing Major League Baseball pitchers rather than Canadian welterweights. As it stands, he’s got his eyes on the UFC.

“In the Dominican Republic, we play a lot of baseball,” Garcia told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I played outfield, but I never liked it. I was forced to play by my parents.

“It’s serious down there. When you’re a kid, the first thing they give you is a glove, a ball and a baseball bat.”

Garcia (8-1) grew up in the Dominican Republic, an island nation of less than 10 million people that bats well above its weight in terms of producing professional baseball players. Garcia played along, but when he was finally old enough to make his own decisions, he gravitated toward jiu-jitsu.

That ignited a passion that drove him to pursue a career in mixed martial arts.

“I started training, and I liked it, so I decided to become a fighter,” Garcia said. “I didn’t go amateur. I turned pro right away.”

It was 2009 when Garcia made his professional debut, and he instantly knew it would provide his future. Hoping to look for better training opportunities, he packed up and moved to Canada.

“I wanted to become better at my sport,” Garcia said.

Just three months after relocating to the Great White North, Garcia caught a tremendous break. Training in a few local clubs, Garcia was at wrestling practice when UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre stopped by the class. An invitation to join him at Montreal’s famed Tristar Gym followed.

“He was fighting Thiago Alves at that time,” Garcia recalled. “He brought me to Tristar, and he’s been helping me a lot.”

The results have been evident in the cage. The 25-year-old Garcia is 8-1 in his first nine career fights, and seven of those wins have been courtesy of first-round stoppages. The lone setback came in an April 2011 bout with Seth Baczynski, and “The Polish Pistola” fought his next fight in the UFC’s octagon.

“I think it’s one of the best things that happened to me, that loss,” Garcia said. “I learned exactly what I needed to do in my fighting game and other things I needed to work on – my striking, controlling the pace. It’s not a streetfight. It’s professional fighting.”

Garcia has since bounced back with a pair of first-round victories. A knee surgery limited him to just one fight in 2012, but now he’s back to full strength and looking to make waves.

He competes again on Saturday, when he meets undefeated prospect Ryan Dickson (5-0) on the main card of Challenge MMA 1, which takes place at Colisée Isabelle-Brasseur in Saint-Jean sur Richelieu, Quebec, Canada.

Garcia admits he’s considering what could potentially lie ahead for him with a win, but he’s also intent on not losing focus on the immediate task at hand. After all, if he gave up his parents’ dream in order to chase his own, Garcia knows he needs to do whatever it takes to deliver.

“I don’t know, I just see myself fighting in the UFC,” Garcia said. “If it’s after this next fight, great, but if not, I’ll just keeping fighting outside of the UFC, getting better and kicking some ass.

“First I have to get past my opponent on Saturday, and then we’ll see what the UFC thinks.”

UFC 207's Alex Garcia wants 'TUF' season between native Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico

As he prepares to face veteran Mike Pyle at UFC 207, welterweight Alex Garcia still hopes to one day have a UFC event in his native Dominican Republic. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): UFC 207's Louis Smolka and Alex Garcia, Eric Del Fierro (in studio)

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Louis Smolka, Alex Garcia and Eric Del Fierro.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 207 bonuses: Amanda Nunes and Alex Garcia pick up $50,000 for their brutal knockouts

LAS VEGAS – Amanda Nunes, Alex Garcia, Cody Garbrandt and Dominick Cruz each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Friday’s UFC 207 event. Nunes and Garcia earned “Performance of the Night” awards, a read news >>

Did you see this Alex Garcia KO at UFC 207? He said a follow-up punch was unneeded

LAS VEGAS – Alex Garcia had the opportunity to put an extra exclamation point on his UFC 207 victory. He said it wasn’t needed, though, especially since he respects his opponent so much.Filed under: read news >>

Alex Garcia Spectacularly Knocks Out Mike Pyle (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Alex Garcia was able to pull off a spectacular knockout against Mike Pyle during the UFC 207 prelims in Las Vegas on Friday. Check it out. read news >>

Video: If Alex Garcia doesn't win $50,000 for this 1-punch KO at UFC 207, then ...

Alex Garcia was only minutes removed from hitting Mike Pyle so hard he may have had him skip over 2017 and go right into 2018 when he started asking for a bonus. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 207 results: Alex Garcia gives Mike Pyle worst belated Christmas gift ever with 1-punch KO

LAS VEGAS – Mike Pyle tried to use his technique to contain the threat of Alex Garcia’s power. But just a momentary slip cost him his consciousness. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Full UFC 207 salaries: Ronda Rousey slated for $3 million flat payday

Win or lose, UFC 207 headliner Ronda Rousey is going home with a disclosed payday of $3 million.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch newcomer Niko Price hand Brandon Thatch fourth straight choke loss at UFC 207

Niko Price probably figured he had nothing to lose when he took a short-notice fight against Brandon Thatch with less than three weeks to prepare.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 207 results: Antonio Carlos Junior edges Marvin Vettori by unanimous decision in foul-filled fight

LAS VEGAS – Despite some early trouble keeping his fingers out of Marvin Vettori’s eyes, Antonio Carlos Junior rallied to win the fight on the scorecards.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>