Alessio Sakara left Montreal on Saturday with a loss on his record by disqualification after he believed he had been the first fighter ever to knock out Patrick Cote.

The Italian slugger clocked Cote with a big elbow early in the first round, dropping him to the canvas where he continued to reign blows down upon him.

After a couple of shots landed to the ear, Sakara continued to throw hammer fist after hammer fist with several of them landing to the back of Cote’s head. After several shots, referee Dan Miragliotta swooped in to stop the fight but after a confusing few minutes the end result was Sakara being disqualified for illegal shots to the back of the head, and Cote being handed the victory.

Following the bout, Sakara’s manager Lex McMahon of Alchemist MMA immediately came to his client’s aid asking the commission for a ruling on why the fight was ruled a disqualification when he believes the referee ultimately didn’t do his job this time around.

“In the heat of the moment, some of those blows did land to the back of the head, they were unintentional, and at no point was Alessio provided a warning. The action should have been stopped, Alessio should have been placed off to the side, and Patrick should have been given a chance to collect himself if those were in fact illegal blows. Dan didn’t do any of that,” McMahon told MMAWeekly Radio on Sunday.

While McMahon says that Miragliotta is typically a very good referee, in this instance he made a mistake, and it cost Sakara the fight.

Now with the fight already over, McMahon will file an appeal with the Quebec Athletic Commission on Monday requesting that the result be overturned either to a win for Sakara as originally ruled or into a no-contest. At that point, he’s hopeful the UFC will rematch Cote and Sakara in early 2013 in somewhere other than Canada.

“I want it on neutral territory, it’s obvious Alessio’s not going to get a fair shake in Canada,” said McMahon. “I think a great place would be London in February. That’s neutral territory for both guys. Makes a lot of sense.”

Check out the entire interview with McMahon below where he details the night’s events and what went down after the cameras stopped rolling:

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

  • 25 days ago
  • 13 views

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

Dana White and Conor McGregor Continue to Battle Over Dual Belts | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 days ago
  • 250 views

With the reality of the situation upon them, Dana White and Conor McGregor are locking horns over whether or not the Irishman can keep two titles. read news >>

Chael Sonnen claims Mackenzie Dern ducked Miesha Tate, manager responds

  • 21 days ago
  • 28 views

Chael Sonnen on Monday said the meeting between former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Miesha Tate and Jessica Eye was not the originally planned matchup for next month’s Submission Underground 2.File read news >>

Manager: Rashad Evans not cleared to fight at UFC 206

  • 16 days ago
  • 12 views

A middleweight fight between Rashad Evans and Tim Kennedy will not take place at UFC 206, according to Evans’ manager and Kennedy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Stripped of Featherweight Title: Latest Details, Reaction

  • 11 days ago
  • 46 views

As expected, Conor McGregor has been stripped of the UFC featherweight championship. Per Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, McGregor didn't agree to relinquish the title, but UFC was within its rights to read news >>

Georges St-Pierre's appeal to Conor McGregor: You're not getting your fair share

  • 7 days ago
  • 118 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre once was the promotion’s biggest pay-per-view draw. But in stating his case for a new fighters association, he made sure to appeal to the biggest st read news >>

UFC 208 Reportedly Moved to Brooklyn: Latest Details, Venue, Schedule and More

  • 6 days ago
  • 7 views

UFC 208, scheduled to take place in Anaheim, California, in January 2017, has reportedly been "scrapped," according to Brett Okamoto of ESPN. Instead, UFC 208 will take place at the Barclays Center i read news >>

Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes Laid Off by New UFC Owners: Latest Details, Reaction

  • 5 days ago
  • 330 views

UFC legends Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes were laid off by the organization's new owners Friday, according to Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting. WME-IMG, which bought the UFC in July, has reportedly laid read news >>