Alan BelcherAlan Belcher (11-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who had to pull out of this past weekend’s UFC 81 event with bronchitis, will take on Patrick Cote (12-4 MMA, 3-4 UFC) at an April 19 UFC 83 event at Montreal’s Bell Centre.

Belcher today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he’s accepted the bout.

UFC President White confirmed that Cote will be part of the fight card during Monday’s UFC 83 press conference, which was attended by UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and interim champ (and French-Canadian) Georges St. Pierre, who meet in the night’s main event.

Belcher was supposed to fight Ricardo Almeida at this past weekendâ??s UFC 81 event, but he had to pull out of the televised fight on just three days’ notice. As MMAjunkie.com reported earlier this week, the fight with Cote was expected to go to Belcher or UFC newcomer Johnny Rees.

“I am still under the weather a bit, and I’m going back to the doctor (today),” Belcher told us. “I still have some deep coughing that you can hear real bad in my chest.”

However, he plans for a full recover in time for UFC 83, which will be the first-ever UFC event in Canada.

His opponent, Cote, has drastically improved his stock in the UFC’s middleweight division with recent victories over “The Ultimate Fighter 3? winner Kendall Grove (UFC 74) and hard-hitting Miletich fighter Drew McFedries (UFC Fight Night 12). Cote has now won his past four fights (three were in the UFC), and six of his past seven. Cote began his UFC career with four straight losses and has since posted three consecutive wins.

Belcher, a former light heavyweight, began his UFC career with a 1-2 record. However, he’s since posted back-to-back victories over Sean Salmon and Kalib Starnes. His UFC 77 fight with Starnes appeared to be “Fight of the Night” material, but the bout was stopped a couple minutes into the second round because of a deep gash on Starnes’ forehead. Belcher was credited with the TKO victory.

For the latest UFC 83 fight card, check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Gall wants to fight the "sharks" of MMA

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

Mickey Gall isn't looking past CM Punk at UFC 203 on Saturday. But he admitted he wants the sharks of MMA and the big names in future fights. read news >>

The past and present of Werdum vs Browne

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

Fabricio Werdum defeated Travis Browne by decision in 2014 that ultimately led to a title shot. On Saturday at UFC 203 the two will meet again in a pivotal rematch. read news >>

Outside the Octagon - Can CM Punk pull this off?

  • 20 days ago
  • 0 views

CM Punk is ready to prove to the world - and his doubters - that he is ready to pull this off. Don't miss Punk's debut against Mickey Gall at UFC 203 on Saturday. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 36 views

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 medical suspensions: Erick Silva, Luan Chagas given 180-day sits

  • 3 days ago
  • 22 views

Seven fighters from this past weekend’s UFC Fight Night 95 event were issued lengthy medical suspensions, and two could be out of action for up to six months.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Confirms Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael Johnson | MMAWeekly.com

  • a day ago
  • 8 views

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Tuesday that lightweights Khabib Nurmagomedov and Michael Johnson has been finalized. read news >>

Zach Freeman Gunning for RFA Title, Whatever Comes Next... Comes Next | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 hours ago
  • 3 views

Following a lackluster number of fights the past couple years, Zach Freeman is focused on taking the RFA lightweight title. read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

  • 19 hours ago
  • 27 views

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>