al-iaquinta-2.jpgA day after UFC officials announced an injury had forced lightweight Joe Proctor (8-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) off this month’s UFC 159 card, his opponent, Al Iaquinta (5-2-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC), also has scratched with an injury.

UFC officials said no replacements will be sought, and the event will go on with 12 bouts instead of 13.

UFC 159 takes place April 27 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card, including a headliner between light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Iaquinta vs. Proctor was slated for the Facebook prelims.

The nature of Iaquinta’s injury wasn’t revealed.

On Thursday a handful of fighters campaigned for the open slot. Conor McGregor, who made a successful promotional debut this past weekend, was the most vocal. The featherweight wanted to move up to lightweight and get his second UFC fight in just three weeks.

The latest UFC 159 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:30 p.m. ET)

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Al Iaquinta)

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Daniel Cormier Explains Injury and #AnybodyButJon Movement (Video)

  • 28 days ago
  • 12 views

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier explains how the injury occurred that forced him out of his rematch with former titleholder Jon Jones at UFC 197. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor being pulled from UFC 200 vs. Nate Diaz

  • 16 days ago
  • 63 views

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday night that featherweight champ Conor McGregor had been pulled from his UFC 200 main event rematch with Nate Diaz. See how social media reacted to the news. read news >>

Conor McGregor Pulled from UFC 200: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

  • 16 days ago
  • 33 views

The UFC announced on Tuesday evening that it has pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 on July 9. UFC President Dana White said on SportsCenter that the organization pulled McGregor from the card becaus read news >>

Conor McGregor Pulled from UFC 200

  • 17 days ago
  • 7 views

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday that UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been pulled from his UFC 200 main event against Nate Diaz on July 9. read news >>

UFC Yanks Conor McGregor; ‘He Will Not Be a Part of UFC 200' – Dana White

  • 16 days ago
  • 28 views

Dana White on Tuesday announced that Conor McGregor was pulled from UFC 200. That came following McGregor's tweet of a retirement. read news >>

McGregor vs. Diaz II: Twitter Reacts as Notorious Is Pulled from UFC 200

  • 16 days ago
  • 27 views

The mixed martial arts world is still reeling from news Conor McGregor won't be fighting at UFC 200.UFC President Dana White confirmed Tuesday on SportsCenter the company pulled the reigning featherw read news >>

Dana White Video: Why Conor McGregor was Pulled and How He Could Return to UFC 200

  • 15 days ago
  • 269 views

Dana White explained why Conor McGregor got pulled from UFC 200, and also discussed whether or not he could get back on the fight card. read news >>

UFC Emoji keyboard debuts with UFC 197

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC today announced the launch of its first-ever emoji keyboard, presented by MetroPCS. This keyboard debuts in conjunction with UFC 197: JONES vs. SAINT PREUX on Saturday, April 23 at the MGM Grand read news >>

Dana White: ‘I Didn’t Want Nate Diaz to Get Screwed Up in This Whole Deal’

  • 15 days ago
  • 193 views

When Conor McGregor was pulled from the UFC 200 fight card, Nate Diaz was left without an opponent. Dana White hopes to rectify that. read news >>

Conor McGregor just forced Dana White's hand (Yahoo Sports)

  • 14 days ago
  • 45 views

From Yahoo Sports: Thursday may have been Conor McGregor's greatest promotion ever. He won not just the court of public opinion but possibly forced Dana White to put him back on the UFC 200 card. read news >>