Chad Mendes isn’t used to losing.

He lost just once his senior year wrestling at Cal Poly. In MMA he won his first 11 bouts, but then featherweight champion Jose Aldo ruined his perfect record in January by scoring a knockout with just one second left in the first round.

“That was tough,” Mendes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I felt alone. I felt bummed. The goal was to get in there and win that fight, and it just didn’t happen. That was the second loss that I’ve had in like five years, and it’s just tough to deal with … sitting there and replaying that knee over and over in my mind and just kind of kicking myself in the ass for it.”

Mendes will be looking to get back on track Saturday when he meets Cody McKenzie at UFC 148.

“It’s a fight that I need to clear my mind with,” Mendes said. “… I need to feel good and get back in that W column. I think this is the perfect fight for me.”

McKenzie is coming off a victory via guillotine choke over Marcus LeVesseur in May. It’s no secret that the guillotine is his specialty -- his record is full of wins courtesy of the choke.

“He’s got a great guillotine choke, but I’ve trained with Joseph [Benavidez] and Urijah [Faber] since day one and those guys have some of the best guillotine chokes out of anyone in the world,” Mendes said. “It’s not anything new to me. Obviously he does it a little bit different. We’ve worked on that throughout this camp, and it’s something we’ve really focused on because I knew that’s his golden move and that’s what he’s catching everyone with.”

Mendes is a major favorite in the fight, but he also considers it a very dangerous bout in part due to the fact that he’s supposed to win. He doesn’t want to just win, though.

“I’m just looking to get in there and finish this fight, honestly, as fast as I can,” Mendes said. “I want to make a statement to everyone in the UFC and all my fans and to myself. This is just something that I want to do. That’s the goal.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:24:26).

From Around the Web

UFC 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 184 event in Los Angeles, several of the winning and losing fighterstook to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.F read news >>

UFC 184 results, photos: Masio Fullen tops Alexander Torres with split decision in slugfest

LOS ANGELES – It was clear from the outset that Alexander Torres was interested in putting Masio Fullen in trouble. But that strategy wound up working better for Fullen.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Invicta FC 11 Results: Cyborg Keeps Hopes of Rousey Fight Alive, Crushes Tweet | MMAWeekly.com

After nearly a year and a half out of the cage, Cris "Cyborg" Justino kept hopes of a fight with Ronda Rousey alive by crushing Charmaine Tweet. read news >>

Bellator 134: Paul Daley hopes to fight in Al Haymon's promotion, says UFC oversaturating their product

Bellator welterweight star and perennial fan favorite, Paul Daley discusses UFC oversaturation, his desire to become a superstar in all the major combat sports and gives advice to up-and-coming forei read news >>

After upset, UFC's Marion Reneau wants Tate, Davis or other top-ranked 135er

UFC women’s bantamweight Marion Reneau isn’t wasting any time when it comes to her professional career. The fighter and physical education teacher said she wants a big step up in competition for her read news >>

Bellator 134's Linton Vassell hopes to parlay Sokoudjou win into second title shot

Linton Vassell said he could almost feel company president Scott Coker wrap Bellator MMA’s light-heavyweight belt around his waist when he took on reigning champion Emanuel Newton in October. Filed u read news >>

Patrick Martin Attempts to Clear His Name, Details Gym Fight with Josh Neer

Before Monday, Patrick Martin was just an everyday guy training at an MMA gym, attempting to better himself in martial arts and life. But a fateful encounter with Josh Neer, a Bellator welterweight f read news >>

Missouri commission: Slice, Shamrock subject to additional medical testing

Ken Shamrock and Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson’s Bellator MMA headliner isn’t going to be rubber-stamped by the Missouri athletic commission. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Why, win or lose at UFC 184, Mark Munoz can't quit yet

Mark Munoz comes into Saturday’s bout at UFC 184 riding a two-fight losing streak. But in order to be the man his fighters at the Reign Training Center think he is, he says, he can’t quit. Not yet.Fi read news >>