Chad Mendes isn’t used to losing.

He lost just once his senior year wrestling at Cal Poly. In MMA he won his first 11 bouts, but then featherweight champion Jose Aldo ruined his perfect record in January by scoring a knockout with just one second left in the first round.

“That was tough,” Mendes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I felt alone. I felt bummed. The goal was to get in there and win that fight, and it just didn’t happen. That was the second loss that I’ve had in like five years, and it’s just tough to deal with … sitting there and replaying that knee over and over in my mind and just kind of kicking myself in the ass for it.”

Mendes will be looking to get back on track Saturday when he meets Cody McKenzie at UFC 148.

“It’s a fight that I need to clear my mind with,” Mendes said. “… I need to feel good and get back in that W column. I think this is the perfect fight for me.”

McKenzie is coming off a victory via guillotine choke over Marcus LeVesseur in May. It’s no secret that the guillotine is his specialty -- his record is full of wins courtesy of the choke.

“He’s got a great guillotine choke, but I’ve trained with Joseph [Benavidez] and Urijah [Faber] since day one and those guys have some of the best guillotine chokes out of anyone in the world,” Mendes said. “It’s not anything new to me. Obviously he does it a little bit different. We’ve worked on that throughout this camp, and it’s something we’ve really focused on because I knew that’s his golden move and that’s what he’s catching everyone with.”

Mendes is a major favorite in the fight, but he also considers it a very dangerous bout in part due to the fact that he’s supposed to win. He doesn’t want to just win, though.

“I’m just looking to get in there and finish this fight, honestly, as fast as I can,” Mendes said. “I want to make a statement to everyone in the UFC and all my fans and to myself. This is just something that I want to do. That’s the goal.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:24:26).

Podcast: Ian McCall on Scoggins beef and if CM Punk will win - MMA Plus

Ian McCall featured on The Mind Diet ahead of UFC 203 and he had plenty to say about previously scheduled competitor, 'young dumb kid' Justin Scoggins. read news >>

Dan Henderson: ‘Win or Lose This is My Last Fight’ (UFC 204 Video)

Dan Henderson hopes to add the UFC middleweight championship to his collection at UFC 204. But win or lose, he intends to walk off into the sunset. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Mauls Jan Blachowicz

Second-ranked light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson snapped a two-fight losing streak in the UFC Fight Night 93 co-main event on Saturday, defeating up-and-comer Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

Cris Cyborg: ‘There’s a Novela Between Ronda and I That We Need to Finish’

Cris Cyborg Justino doesn't fault Ronda Rousey for losing, but she believes the drama of their rivalry is something people want to see culminate in a fight. read news >>

UFC 203 Results: Fabricio Werdum Defeats Travis Browne in Controversial Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum bounced back from losing the title in his last outing by defeating Travis Browne in the UFC 203 co-main event. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

In his first match since losing the heavyweight title, Fabricio Werdum got back in the win column by defeating Travis Browne via unanimous decision at UFC 203 in Cleveland. According to Yahoo Sports' read news >>

CM Punk Nets Huge Payday in Debut, but Alistair Overeem Tops UFC 203 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Two losing fighters were at the top of the UFC 203 payroll. Alistair Overeem sat at the top, while CM Punk had the third leading payout on the card in his debut. read news >>

Louis Smolka mocked injured Sergio Pettis and his 'hurt vagina' – and it blew up in his face

Frustrated after losing his opponent for next week’s UFC Fight Night 96 event, Louis Smolka posted a video talking about Sergio Pettis’ “hurt vagina” and offering him a box of tampons. Things quickly read news >>

Yves Edwards: If you're Lina Lansberg, fight 'Cyborg' the way she's already lost

UFC commentator and retired fighter Yves Edwards isn’t about to make a bold upset prediction in the case of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 headliner. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Renan Barao Decisions Phillipe Nover at UFC Brasilia | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champ Renan Barao snapped a two-fight losing streak on Saturday, defeating Phillipe Nover in the UFC Fight Night Brasilia co-main event . read news >>