Chad Mendes isn’t used to losing.

He lost just once his senior year wrestling at Cal Poly. In MMA he won his first 11 bouts, but then featherweight champion Jose Aldo ruined his perfect record in January by scoring a knockout with just one second left in the first round.

“That was tough,” Mendes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I felt alone. I felt bummed. The goal was to get in there and win that fight, and it just didn’t happen. That was the second loss that I’ve had in like five years, and it’s just tough to deal with … sitting there and replaying that knee over and over in my mind and just kind of kicking myself in the ass for it.”

Mendes will be looking to get back on track Saturday when he meets Cody McKenzie at UFC 148.

“It’s a fight that I need to clear my mind with,” Mendes said. “… I need to feel good and get back in that W column. I think this is the perfect fight for me.”

McKenzie is coming off a victory via guillotine choke over Marcus LeVesseur in May. It’s no secret that the guillotine is his specialty -- his record is full of wins courtesy of the choke.

“He’s got a great guillotine choke, but I’ve trained with Joseph [Benavidez] and Urijah [Faber] since day one and those guys have some of the best guillotine chokes out of anyone in the world,” Mendes said. “It’s not anything new to me. Obviously he does it a little bit different. We’ve worked on that throughout this camp, and it’s something we’ve really focused on because I knew that’s his golden move and that’s what he’s catching everyone with.”

Mendes is a major favorite in the fight, but he also considers it a very dangerous bout in part due to the fact that he’s supposed to win. He doesn’t want to just win, though.

“I’m just looking to get in there and finish this fight, honestly, as fast as I can,” Mendes said. “I want to make a statement to everyone in the UFC and all my fans and to myself. This is just something that I want to do. That’s the goal.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:24:26).

Jake Shields not talking trash ahead of WSOF 34 but hopes to finish Jon Fitch early

Jake Shields isn’t one of the sport’s biggest trashtalkers by any means, but ahead of WSOF 34, the longtime veteran said there’s absolutely no way he can start in on WSOF welterweight champ Jon Fitch read news >>

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey Gets New Promo Clip, 'Vengeance On My Mind' (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC and international recording artist G-EAZY unleashed a new UFC 207 promotional clip, “Vengeance on My Mind,” on Tuesday. read news >>

UFC 207's Dong Hyun Kim still calling out Demian Maia, hopes to steal title shot

LAS VEGAS – For a guy whose last three fights were marred by opponent changes and withdrawals, a short-notice booking with oft-injured opponent would be cause for concern.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

Ray Borg hopes UFC 207 win over Louis Smolka kickstarts run to champ Demetrious Johnson

LAS VEGAS – It’s been a bizarre latter half of 2016 for Ray Borg, and he’s hoping to have a good end to the calendar year ahead of a fresh start in 2017. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Part of Life is Losing (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dominick Cruz handled losing his bantamweight belt to Cody Garbrandt quite well on Friday night, chalking it up to life. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Towers Over UFC 207 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Despite losing the fight, Ronda Rousey towered over the UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey disclosed fighter payroll. read news >>

LeBron James 'knows exactly how' Ronda Rousey is feeling right now

Ronda Rousey is likely down, though it’s not exactly clear if she’s out – of the sport anyway. But one of the planet’s most recognizable athletes said he knows exactly what she’s going through.Filed read news >>

UFC Matchmaker: What's next for Ronda Rousey, Dominick Cruz and UFC 207's other losing fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 207’s losing fighters.Filed read news >>

UFC 207 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Friday’s UFC 207 event in Las Vegas several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>