Chad Mendes isn’t used to losing.

He lost just once his senior year wrestling at Cal Poly. In MMA he won his first 11 bouts, but then featherweight champion Jose Aldo ruined his perfect record in January by scoring a knockout with just one second left in the first round.

“That was tough,” Mendes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I felt alone. I felt bummed. The goal was to get in there and win that fight, and it just didn’t happen. That was the second loss that I’ve had in like five years, and it’s just tough to deal with … sitting there and replaying that knee over and over in my mind and just kind of kicking myself in the ass for it.”

Mendes will be looking to get back on track Saturday when he meets Cody McKenzie at UFC 148.

“It’s a fight that I need to clear my mind with,” Mendes said. “… I need to feel good and get back in that W column. I think this is the perfect fight for me.”

McKenzie is coming off a victory via guillotine choke over Marcus LeVesseur in May. It’s no secret that the guillotine is his specialty -- his record is full of wins courtesy of the choke.

“He’s got a great guillotine choke, but I’ve trained with Joseph [Benavidez] and Urijah [Faber] since day one and those guys have some of the best guillotine chokes out of anyone in the world,” Mendes said. “It’s not anything new to me. Obviously he does it a little bit different. We’ve worked on that throughout this camp, and it’s something we’ve really focused on because I knew that’s his golden move and that’s what he’s catching everyone with.”

Mendes is a major favorite in the fight, but he also considers it a very dangerous bout in part due to the fact that he’s supposed to win. He doesn’t want to just win, though.

“I’m just looking to get in there and finish this fight, honestly, as fast as I can,” Mendes said. “I want to make a statement to everyone in the UFC and all my fans and to myself. This is just something that I want to do. That’s the goal.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:24:26).

Cezar Ferreira enters career crossroads at UFC on FOX 19 with clear mind, healed body

If anyone might have an excuse for a couple of disappointing performances, it might be a guy with eight screws in his neck and fighting in a weight class in which he never belonged. Cezar Ferreira is read news >>

Nikolay Aleksakhin Hopes to Follow in Fedor’s Footsteps, Upset Ben Askren at ONE: Global Rivals

The odds are against Nikolay Aleksakhin ahead of ONE: Global Rivals, but the Russian believes he can follow in Fedor's footsteps and upset Ben Askren. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19’s Glover Teixeira would fight Anthony Johnson next, but focused on Evans

TAMPA, Fla. – UFC light heavyweight Glover Teixeira isn’t one to call out his next opponent, but he wouldn’t mind a fight with onetime title challenger Anthony Johnson.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

GFL Video: The latest top 5 finishes include Emanuel Newton, Cody McKenzie

Can’t get enough MMA action? Of course not. So how about a new batch of highlights, courtesy of GoFightLive.tv, including appearances by a few big show veterans.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Latest Kimbo Slice booking proves that, as long as we watch, anything goes in Bellator

Kimbo Slice still isn’t cleared after failing a drug test for his last fight, which nearly killed a man. Now Bellator has rebooked him for a main event in London, telling us just how far it’s willing read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux searching for upset formula against Jon Jones (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: OSP hopes he's the latest fighter in recent months to unexpectedly defeat one of the sport’s biggest stars. read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux searching for upset formula against Jon Jones (Yahoo Sports)

VIDEO: UFC 200 Reshuffle Isn’t the First Conor McGregor and the UFC Friction

Pulling Conor McGregor from UFC 200 wasn't the first hint of friction between the promotion and one of its top stars. read news >>

Dana White Discusses Conor McGregor Retirement Tweet, Notorious' Future, UFC 200

UFC president Dana White believes featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn’t retiring and will fight again for the organisation in the next year, and he said the decision to pull the Irishman from t read news >>