caros-fodor-4.jpgCaros Fodor is of the opinion his UFC release earlier this year came prematurely, but with his ONE FC debut against Seung Ho Yang just days away, the fighter isn’t one to dwell on the past.

Fodor made his one and only appearance in the world’s premier MMA organization at February’s UFC 157 event, where he lost a debatable split decision to lightweight veteran Sam Stout.

After just one fight, “The Future” was given his walking papers, which came as a surprise to the 29-year-old.

“I thought me and Sam had a pretty exciting fight, and I honestly thought I had done enough to win, and I thought they’d give me at least one more,” Fodor told MMAjunkie.com Radio. “They just said I was being cut, and that was a shock.”

Typically it takes a string of two or three losses for a fighter to receive his pink slip. However, despite the fact he won five of six fights under the now-defunct Strikeforce banner prior to the Stout matchup, Fodor was let go after just one defeat.

MMA’s current free agent market in MMA has a variety of options, with Bellator MMA and World Series of Fighting seemingly ready to scoop up most of the ex-UFC talent. Fodor went a different route, though, and signed with the Asian-based promotion ONE FC, where he had the most desire to compete. He also believes it’s the best fit at this juncture of his career.

“I wanted to go to ONE FC, and it was my first choice,” Fodor said. “They’re the biggest and best in Asia, and I wanted to be a part of that. I think organization-wise, it’s one of the best. They run things so professional, and they treat their fighters so well that it was definitely my first choice after being released.”

Having fought the first 10 professional bouts of his career in the U.S., traveling to Jakarta, Indonesia, for a showdown with Yang (6-0) at “ONE FC 11: Warriors and Champions” (online pay-per-view, 9 a.m. ET) is the very definition of Fodor (7-3) leaving his comfort zone.

While a new organization matched with heavy travel, a foreign culture and cutting weight can be a combination that would fluster most athletes, Fodor is upbeat over the experience and is eager to begin the next chapter of his career.

“I’m super excited to get moving past these last two losses and starting with a new organization,” said Fodor, whose final Strikeforce bout ended in a loss to Pat Healy. “Especially one as big as ONE FC, it’s a great opportunity for me, and I’m looking very forward to it and getting to travel.”

One aspect of ONE FC that has Fodor particularly jazzed is its PRIDE-esque rules, which include the legalization of knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent. Fodor views these additional opportunities as a way to keep the fights moving at a higher pace while avoiding some of the stalling seen in under the Unified Rules of MMA in North America and other countries around the world.

“The rules over there, the soccer kicks and the knees to the head on the ground, really don’t allow for boring fights,” Fodor said. “I mean people bring it.”

While some feel Fodor’s UFC release was unjustified, the reality is he has moved on, and only positive thoughts run through his head prior to debuting in Asia’s top organization.

“[Being cut by the UFC] really did suck, but I’m super happy with ONE FC, and they’re still on the rise and growing,” he said. “I’m happy to be a part of it.”

For the latest on ONE FC 10, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Luke Barnatt on UFC release: ‘I completely expected it’

  • 25 days ago
  • 12 views

More than a few surprised sighs were heard earlier this month when the UFC released TUF 17 alumnus Luke "Bigslow" Barnatt. Sure, the lanky middleweight had crossed into uncertain waters with his rece read news >>

Bellator 138 'Uncut:' Kimbo Slice almost loses his pinky toe beating up Ken Shamrock

  • 9 days ago
  • 30 views

Bellator MMA release an "Uncut" behind-the-scenes video for fans after every big show, and they don't get much bigger than "Kimbo vs. Shamrock" on June 19, 2015. You can call Bellator's "Kimbo vs. Sh read news >>

Conor McGregor Is No Longer Fighting the Real Jose Aldo—And That's a Shame

  • 10 days ago
  • 140 views

All looked lost earlier this week when it appeared UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo would be forced to withdraw from his highly anticipated bout with the "Notorious" Conor McGregor at UFC 189 on read news >>

UFC 189 Card Change: Brandon Thatch vs. Nelson, Cathal Pendred vs. Howard Added

  • 12 days ago
  • 2 views

An injury to welterweight John Hathaway earlier this week set the dominoes tumbling for UFC 189. UFC officials, however, were able to shore up the fight with some quick thinking and willing replaceme read news >>

The MMA Hour - 287 - Dan Henderson

  • 13 days ago
  • 3 views

Dan Henderson discusses his inspiring win over Tim Boetsch earlier this month and where he goes from here. read news >>

Coach was 'cursing out everybody' trying to get Nate Marquardt fight stopped earlier

  • 15 days ago
  • 141 views

Trevor Wittman had seen enough. Nate Marquardt just didn't look like himself in the Octagon against Kelvin Gastelum last Saturday night at UFC 188 in Mexico City. He was barely mounting any offense a read news >>

UFC Fight Night 69 media day face-offs: Were others as intense as the main event?

  • 18 days ago
  • 3 views

BERLIN – Earlier today, we saw a pretty intense face-off between Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 69 headliners. But what about the other fights on the main card? Were they just as heated?Filed under: Feat read news >>

Luke Barnatt talks UFC release: 'I don't regret a thing I've done'

  • 23 days ago
  • 10 views

Former UFC middleweight Luke Barnatt discusses his release from the UFC and what might be next for him. read news >>

Former UFC contender Tyson Griffin announces WSOF release, hints at retirement

  • 27 days ago
  • 13 views

Tyson Griffin is no longer on the WSOF roster, and the former UFC contender is suggesting his fighting career may be over.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

The MMA Hour - 285 - Luke Barnatt

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

Luke Barnatt talked about his release from the UFC and what's next for him. read news >>