Urijah Faber is in a tough spot.

He’s come up short in two attempts to capture UFC bantamweight gold, but he remains one of the division’s best. Most recently, he submitted Ivan Menjivar via rear-naked choke on Saturday at UFC 157. But who’s next for “The California Kid”?

“I’m in an interesting predicament where whoever I fight, if they’re not a top contender or a titleholder, then they’re throwing me a chump,” Faber told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, referring to the perception that he’s being matched favorably. “What a lot of people feel, that I get title shots -- if I get a title shot, then I’ve got too many title shots. It’s like, I’m in a weird predicament because I’ve been in the top of the weight class for so long.”

One option would be for Faber to move back up to 145 pounds, where he was a champion in the WEC.

“I wouldn’t mind taking a fight at 145,” Faber said. “It would have to be the right fight. I’ve said this for a long time: I want to do the fights that are big, that people care about.”

Frankie Edgar was one possible featherweight opponent mentioned on “Beatdown.” Faber sounded very interested in the matchup.

“That sounds like a huge fight to me,” Faber said. “Frankie, as far as I’m concerned, if he gets the nod on Benson Henderson, he’s one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world. Then he goes in against who I in my true heart feel is the best fighter pound-for-pound in the world in Jose Aldo and has a great fight with him. It’s really a fight with a couple of the best pound-for-pound guys.”

It would likely generate plenty of interest, too. Accordingly, Faber would want to be compensated fairly.

“I’ve had a long career where I feel like I could be able to cash in at this point,” he said. “The UFC, although they get a lot of flak sometimes, they are very fair. I have no complaints about them being unfair to the fighters or anything like that. They go above and beyond. If there’s some superfights and they feel I could be a good sale, I’d be willing to do that as well.”

Before he turns to superfights, though, Faber would like another crack at the 135-pound belt.

“What would mean more is if I could get the title and then start doing the fights,” he said. “I would like to make a run at this title, would like to get that down in the history books and then be a two weight class champion and then have some really big superfights.”

At 135, Faber may not have that many appealing options outside of another title shot. He’s already beat Eddie Wineland and other contenders, but he hasn’t fought Brad Pickett yet.

“I think Brad Pickett’s a guy that has a great name, especially over in his home country,” Faber said. “He’s an exciting fighter. There’s a couple of other guys that have notoriety, but not many. It’s an interesting thing for me. As far as publicity and moving up the ladder as far as ranks and everything else, it’s just a lose-lose situation for me. But I’ll fight whoever.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 56:22).

Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz Lay Feud to Rest, Sort Of (video) | MMAWeekly.com

The Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz rivalry dates back to their WEC days in 2007. After nearly a decade feud and a trilogy of fights, the two put it all aside. read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Urijah Faber and Muhammed Lawal

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Urijah Faber and Muhammed Lawal.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber Celebrates Retirement by Sitting Atop UFC on FOX 22 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Urijah Faber headed into retirement on Saturday night by sitting atop the UFC on FOX 22 fighter salaries. read news >>

Urijah Faber Details Decision to Retire | MMAWeekly.com

A pioneer for the lighter weight classes in mixed martial arts, Urijah Faber fought for the last time inside the Octagon on Dec. 17, defeating Brad Pickett. read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2347 with Urijah Faber and Muhammed Lawal

Stream or download Monday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Urijah Faber and Muhammed Lawal.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Dominick Cruz settle the score with Urijah Faber ahead of UFC 207 showdown with Cody Garbrandt

In many ways Dominick Cruz’s career will forever be defined by his rivalry with Urijah Faber. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Urijah Faber interested in fighters organizing, but favors working with promotions

Urijah Faber said he hasn’t gotten much of chance to research the organizations trying to unite fighters for better working conditions. But even without looking into them, he thinks there are too man read news >>

Watch Dominick Cruz Beat Urijah Faber a Second Time (UFC 207 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz met longtime rival Urijah Faber in a rubber match at UFC 199 where he won via unanimous decision. Check it out! read news >>

Video: Watch Cody Garbrandt's cageside reactions to Dominick Cruz's third fight with Urijah Faber

Cody Garbrandt is no fan of Dominick Cruz, and he’ll have the opportunity to put fist to face in attempt to hash out their differences when the two meet at UFC 207.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive Dominick Cruz' UFC 199 Fight Week and Win Over Urijah Faber (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dominick Cruz reviews his win over Urijah Faber at UFC 199 in Los Angeles, California. Cruz attempts to defend his belt against Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207. read news >>