Jacob Volkmann doesn’t follow MMA as closely as some fighters do, but he made a point to watch UFC 149 on Saturday to root against Hector Lombard.

He’d trained with the Cuban middleweight last year at American Top Team, and from what Volkmann says, the session didn’t go too well.

“My teammate had a fight down in Florida,” Volkmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I went to train at ATT, which is a great gym. I have nothing against that gym. I just had a beef with Hector Lombard.”

Lombard was an Olympic judoka for Cuba who entered UFC 149 with 20 straight wins. Volkmann, a lightweight who has competed in the UFC at 170 pounds, was a three-time All-American wrestler at the University of Minnesota.

“It was grappling time, and he asked me to wrestle him,” Volkmann said. “I was like, ‘Alright, whatever.’ So I went over and we got our own little mat area like the size of a circle on a regular mat. We started wrestling. I was doing collar ties, and then all of a sudden, he karate chopped me in the side of the neck. I was like, ‘Alright.’ I didn’t know what the hell was going on, but he didn’t like what I was doing.”

Volkmann said the two kept wrestling, and things got worse.

“I didn’t really take any shots because I felt that he was kind of a spaz,” Volkmann said. “Then all of a sudden, he pushes me away and punches me in the face with no gloves on or nothing. I had a fight in three weeks. I was fighting Danny Castillo in three weeks. I was like, ‘Aw, Jesus.’ He wanted to fight me right there and then, right in the gym. There was one of his coaches there that had to stop it.”

To Volkmann’s delight, Lombard lost Saturday in his UFC debut, dropping a split decision to Tim Boetsch. The Minnesotan wasn’t too impressed with his performance either. He hesitated to predict how a fight with Lombard would unfold, but his confidence grew after the weekend.

“Judging from his last UFC fight,” Volkmann said, “I think I could take him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:04:27).

Tweets of the Week - 5/27

A look at the best tweets from the world of UFC. Follow @ufc, the list of official UFC accounts, and the list of UFC fighters to keep up with these guys and gals. read news >>

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Full Live Results and Fight Stats

Follow along for UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 full live results and fight stats. First fight is scheduled for 6:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 4. read news >>

VIDEO: IV Ban Doesn’t Bother Bobby Green, He’s Only Down with Tattoo Needles

If you take a look at his cranium, you might not suspect that Bobby Green isn't too pleased with needles. read news >>

UFC 199 Results: Dan Henderson Knocks Out Hector Lombard in Round 2

Dan Henderson picked up an emphatic win at UFC 199, knocking out Hector Lombard in their main-card fight on Saturday night's pay-per-view in Inglewood, California. read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

Dan Henderson (32-14) is known for his “H-Bomb” of a right hand, but at UFC 199 he brought out the “H-Bow” against Hector Lombard (34-6-1, 2 NC). The two veteran middleweights went toe-to-toe in one read news >>

UFC 199 Video Highlights: Dan Henderson Returns from the Brink to KO Hector Lombard

Middleweight legend Dan Henderson took on the explosive Hector Lombard on Saturday on the UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 main card. Check out the video highlights. read news >>

If Max Holloway Doesn’t Get a Title Shot, He’ll Just Keep Winning Fights (UFC 199 Video)

Max Holloway doesn't know what's next for him or if a UFC featherweight title shot is in his near future, even after decisively defeating Ricardo Lamas at UFC 199. read news >>

Dana White Video: Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 Return ‘Doesn’t Suck’

TMZ Sports caught up with UFC president Dana White, who said that Brock Lesnar's UFC 200 return "doesn't suck." read news >>

Mark Hunt Doesn’t Think Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 USADA Exemption is Fair

Brock Lesnar received an exemption to be eligible for UFC 200. Mark Hunt, doesn't think it's fair, but also doesn't think it will change the fight's result. read news >>

Bo Jackson Doesn’t Have a Clue Who Brock Lesnar Is

Bo Jackson knows baseball. Bo Jackson knows football. Bo Jackson doesn't know Brock Lesnar. read news >>