Marcus Davis and Jeremy Stephens at UFC 125Following his release from the UFC in January of 2011, welterweight veteran Marcus “Irish Hand Grenade” Davis seemed to have gotten things back on track by winning four of his next five fights. Then longstanding health issues forced him out of the game for a year.

His health issues were so bad that for a brief while, Davis considered retirement.

“After my fight in (October 2011) with Chuck O’Neil I had to take some serious time off because I was having a lot of physical problems again,” said Davis. “I had to go into physical therapy because of my impingement and my bursitis syndrome I have in my right shoulder.

“Pretty much at that point I said I was done because my body wasn’t letting me fight, it’s not letting me perform.”

Thankfully with help from his doctor, Davis was able to get healthy again and was looking so good, he was asked to step in for Karo Parisyan against fellow former UFC fighter David Bielkheden at Superior Challenge 8 this past October.

“I went out there and had one of the easiest weight cuts I ever had and did exactly everything I wanted to do and dominated that fight,” said Davis. “I dropped him twice in the first, once every round and beat him up on the ground a lot.

“I still had some aches and pains here and there, but nothing serious. I went from not being able to hit a focus pad or a bag to having no pain in my hands or feet. Everything changed.”

After his good showing in October, Davis will get a chance to bring his career full circle in many ways, when he faces Waachiim Spiritwolf Thursday night at Bellator 93 live on Spike TV.

“With this happening, I feel like a whole new chance for me,” Davis told MMAWeekly.com. “It’s a brand new chapter and to be able to do it in Bellator and on Spike TV – where I had my true breakout start – it’s just really fitting to be in the twilight of my career here.”

When it comes to the match-up itself, Davis feels he will outclass Spiritwolf at every aspect of the fight.

“This is the way I look at it, as far as skills go, I’ve got him beat,” said Davis. “I’m a better striker, more refined, have way more experience and have fought and beat better opponents. He’s a strong wrestler, but it’s still crude and it’s based on holding a guy on the ground and being heavy and being strong, that’s not really my game, which is to use technique, so I’ve got him beat there.

“I plan to move, out-strike him, make him make mistakes, take advantage of those mistakes and capitalize on them and tap him or knock him out.”

Back healthier for the first time in years, Davis is looking forward to enjoying the time left he has in the sport and enjoy the ride.

“I’m going to take it fight-by-fight, listen to my body, listen to my family and I’m going to see where it takes me,” he said. “Right now I’m going to live in the moment and I’m going to focus on what’s right in front of me by fighting in Bellator on my home network of Spike TV in my home state against a really tough guy and showcase my skills.”

Ben Reiter Expecting to ‘Impose His Will’ at Bellator 156

Though he suffered the first loss of his career last November to Francisco France at Bellator 146, middleweight up-and-comer Ben Reiter doesn’t feel he was beaten in the fight. read news >>

Super Prospect Darrion Caldwell, Melvin Guillard Top Bellator 159 Card

Darrion Caldwell, a national college wrestling champion and one of the brightest up-and-coming bantamweights in MMA, will vie for a title shot this summer when he faces Joe Taimanglo in the main even read news >>

Darrion Caldwell vs. Joe Taimanglo Headline Bellator 159

Bellator returns to Kansas with a pivotal matchup between undefeated phenom Darrion Caldwell and Joe Taimanglo to determine the No. 1 bantamweight contender. read news >>

Report: Former Bellator Fighter Shahbulat Shamhalaev Shot Multiple Times in Restaurant Altercation

Former Bellator MMA fighter Shahbulat Shamhalaev was hospitalized on Wednesday in Makhachkala, Russia after being shot "several times" while dining at a local restaurant. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Talks Possible Retirement After Second Loss to Dominick Cruz

Following his second loss to UFC champion Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber addressed the possibility that retirement could be on the horizon for him. read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Kevin “Kimbo Slice’ Ferguson Dead at 42

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson has passed away in a Florida hospital. Bellator MMA president Scott Coker confirmed the news on Monday evening. He was 42. read news >>