Charlie Brenneman just couldn’t get going against Anthony Johnson in October, losing 2:49 into the first round on a head kick.

He’ll look to bounce back Jan. 20, though, against Daniel Roberts at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.” Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, his loss to Johnson and more.

On what went wrong against Johnson: “A thing that makes a good wrestler a great wrestler in MMA is the ability to throw punches and then transition to takedowns right off of that. In the Johnson fight, I looked like a novice. I don’t even know if I threw one punch. I was diving with my head down and my arms flared out. … I think I respected his standup way too much and then that threw me off of my game completely.”

On whether referee Mario Yamasaki intervened too quickly: “I’m kind of in the position of, it happened, so it really doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks. He definitely clocked me. The ref, Yamasaki, jumped in and he wasn’t looking at me. He was actually facing Anthony when he jumped in. I think he kind of assumed that I was going to be out cold. I wasn’t out cold. Did he definitely rock me? Yes, it rocked me. I don’t have any idea if I would have been able to grab him and hold him or if he would have just catapulted on top of me. It’s really hard to say. In hindsight, I’m healthy. I live to fight another day. That’s all right with me.”

On Daniel Roberts: “He’s durable, to say the least. He’s one of those guys that people might say, ‘Brenneman should beat him,’ but he’s so dangerous and explosive with his submissions. … If I go into it anything other than 100 percent, then I’m not going to be on the good end of it.”

On Roberts’ submission ability: “I don’t think I’ll be able to just sit [in the guard] and waste time comfortably. … He’s just really good in scrambles. Any shots that I take, any finishes that I take, it’s got to be right to dominant position. Anytime that I stop halfway, that’s going to leave me open and leave me vulnerable.”

On whether he’ll look to strike with Roberts: “This is a fight where, I think, with the proper game plan, I’ll be able to keep him guessing. I always say that three out of my last four opponents had bricks for hands. If you look at [Johny] Hendricks, [Rick] Story and Anthony Johnson, those are all heavy-duty strikers with heavy-duty knockout power. Roberts is a different type of fighter. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more liberty to do some striking.”

On the year he hopes to have in 2012: “Anthony kind of put me in my place and made me reassess how I was going to go about progressing. Beating Daniel will be solid for me. It will hopefully help me develop as a fighter. Then after that, I’m not looking to get a contender. I don’t know if I would deserve a contender right away, but it’s one of those things where I’m just looking at this year … to solidify myself and my career in the welterweight division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:13).

Daniel Cormier needs stem cell injections, delays first UFC title defense until October

After turning away Anthony Johnson at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event back in May, reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier will move on to defend read news >>

UFC Fight Night 69 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 69 event in Berlin, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

Lyoto Machida explains why he wanted quick turnaround after Luke Rockhold loss

Lyoto Machida doesn't tend to go on losing streaks. The former UFC light heavyweight champion has only lost back-to-back fights once in his career, five years ago, when he was finished by Jon Jones, read news >>

Jose Aldo ‘is losing a lot’ of money with UFC’s Reebok deal

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo will be making $40,000 per fight with UFC’s new deal with Reebok, but he’s not happy about it. "Scarface" recently called the UFC-Reebok deal "sh-t", and his manager Andre read news >>

Lyoto Machida: Chris Weidman will beat Luke Rockhold, retain UFC middleweight title

"The Dragon" doesn't see "All American" losing his title anytime soon. Luke Rockhold will get his much-desired title shot, as he has been pegged as the next challenger for Ultimate Fighting Champions read news >>

UFC 188 Opinion: Cain Velasquez - The GOAT that never was

Has Cain Velasquez's beacon of championship greatness been extinguished after losing to Fabricio Werdum at UFC 188? He was supposed to be the best. The next big thing. A spiritual successor to the gr read news >>

UFC 188 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 188 event in Mexico City, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions. read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for UFC 188's losing fighters?

With UFC 188 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the losing fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 188: Is Cain Velasquez Still the Best Heavyweight in All of MMA?

In October 2013, UFC heavyweight Cain Velasquez dispatched his greatest rival with disturbing ease. Junior dos Santos, the second-best heavyweight in the world, didn't even come close to giving the c read news >>

UFC 188: Fabricio Werdum on how losing to girlfriend's ex got him to where he is today

UFC heavyweight interim champion, Fabricio Werdum discusses how an impromptu BJJ match at the beach with his girlfriend's ex was the driving factor for him to get into martial arts. This weekend, in read news >>