Charlie Brenneman just couldn’t get going against Anthony Johnson in October, losing 2:49 into the first round on a head kick.

He’ll look to bounce back Jan. 20, though, against Daniel Roberts at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.” Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, his loss to Johnson and more.

On what went wrong against Johnson: “A thing that makes a good wrestler a great wrestler in MMA is the ability to throw punches and then transition to takedowns right off of that. In the Johnson fight, I looked like a novice. I don’t even know if I threw one punch. I was diving with my head down and my arms flared out. … I think I respected his standup way too much and then that threw me off of my game completely.”

On whether referee Mario Yamasaki intervened too quickly: “I’m kind of in the position of, it happened, so it really doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks. He definitely clocked me. The ref, Yamasaki, jumped in and he wasn’t looking at me. He was actually facing Anthony when he jumped in. I think he kind of assumed that I was going to be out cold. I wasn’t out cold. Did he definitely rock me? Yes, it rocked me. I don’t have any idea if I would have been able to grab him and hold him or if he would have just catapulted on top of me. It’s really hard to say. In hindsight, I’m healthy. I live to fight another day. That’s all right with me.”

On Daniel Roberts: “He’s durable, to say the least. He’s one of those guys that people might say, ‘Brenneman should beat him,’ but he’s so dangerous and explosive with his submissions. … If I go into it anything other than 100 percent, then I’m not going to be on the good end of it.”

On Roberts’ submission ability: “I don’t think I’ll be able to just sit [in the guard] and waste time comfortably. … He’s just really good in scrambles. Any shots that I take, any finishes that I take, it’s got to be right to dominant position. Anytime that I stop halfway, that’s going to leave me open and leave me vulnerable.”

On whether he’ll look to strike with Roberts: “This is a fight where, I think, with the proper game plan, I’ll be able to keep him guessing. I always say that three out of my last four opponents had bricks for hands. If you look at [Johny] Hendricks, [Rick] Story and Anthony Johnson, those are all heavy-duty strikers with heavy-duty knockout power. Roberts is a different type of fighter. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more liberty to do some striking.”

On the year he hopes to have in 2012: “Anthony kind of put me in my place and made me reassess how I was going to go about progressing. Beating Daniel will be solid for me. It will hopefully help me develop as a fighter. Then after that, I’m not looking to get a contender. I don’t know if I would deserve a contender right away, but it’s one of those things where I’m just looking at this year … to solidify myself and my career in the welterweight division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:13).

Bellator champ Koreshkov not bothered by Lima's injury claims, but says all fighters deal with them

After losing Bellator’s welterweight belt to Andrey Koreshkov last year, Douglas Lima said that, impaired by injuries, he shouldn’t even have been in the cage that night. But the current champ, it se read news >>

Bellator 164 results: Douglas Lima drops Andrey Koreshkov to reclaim title

More than a year after losing his title, Douglas Lima knocked out Andrey Koreshkov to avenge a loss and take back the Bellator welterweight title.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC 205 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 205 in New York City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Eddie Alvarez and UFC 205's other losing fighters?

Defeats are rarely easy for fighters to accept. For UFC 205’s losing competitors, however, they can take solace in the fact they participated on perhaps the most stacked pay-per-view card in history read news >>

UFC 206: Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Main Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 205 was a special night, but, alas, normalcy returns at UFC 206. The card was an ugly thing from top to bottom, with an unexciting main event and little else of value behind it, but some shake-up read news >>

Ryan Bader Wants a Shot at Winner of Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ryan Bader takes aim at the winner of the upcoming UFC light heavyweight title fight between Daniel Cormier and Anthony "Rumble" Johnson. read news >>

UFC 206: Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson Extended Preview Video | MMAWeekly.com

Take a closer look at the light heavyweight title rematch between champ Daniel Cormier and challenger Anthony Johnson. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 99 event in Belfast, Northern Ireland, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. C read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 100 event in Sao Paulo, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some o read news >>

Cris Cyborg Doesn't Believe Miesha Tate Will Actually Retire | MMAWeekly.com

After losing to Raquel Pennington at UFC 205 on Nov. 12, former bantamweight champion Miesha Tate announced that she was retiring from fighting. read news >>