Charlie Brenneman just couldn’t get going against Anthony Johnson in October, losing 2:49 into the first round on a head kick.

He’ll look to bounce back Jan. 20, though, against Daniel Roberts at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.” Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, his loss to Johnson and more.

On what went wrong against Johnson: “A thing that makes a good wrestler a great wrestler in MMA is the ability to throw punches and then transition to takedowns right off of that. In the Johnson fight, I looked like a novice. I don’t even know if I threw one punch. I was diving with my head down and my arms flared out. … I think I respected his standup way too much and then that threw me off of my game completely.”

On whether referee Mario Yamasaki intervened too quickly: “I’m kind of in the position of, it happened, so it really doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks. He definitely clocked me. The ref, Yamasaki, jumped in and he wasn’t looking at me. He was actually facing Anthony when he jumped in. I think he kind of assumed that I was going to be out cold. I wasn’t out cold. Did he definitely rock me? Yes, it rocked me. I don’t have any idea if I would have been able to grab him and hold him or if he would have just catapulted on top of me. It’s really hard to say. In hindsight, I’m healthy. I live to fight another day. That’s all right with me.”

On Daniel Roberts: “He’s durable, to say the least. He’s one of those guys that people might say, ‘Brenneman should beat him,’ but he’s so dangerous and explosive with his submissions. … If I go into it anything other than 100 percent, then I’m not going to be on the good end of it.”

On Roberts’ submission ability: “I don’t think I’ll be able to just sit [in the guard] and waste time comfortably. … He’s just really good in scrambles. Any shots that I take, any finishes that I take, it’s got to be right to dominant position. Anytime that I stop halfway, that’s going to leave me open and leave me vulnerable.”

On whether he’ll look to strike with Roberts: “This is a fight where, I think, with the proper game plan, I’ll be able to keep him guessing. I always say that three out of my last four opponents had bricks for hands. If you look at [Johny] Hendricks, [Rick] Story and Anthony Johnson, those are all heavy-duty strikers with heavy-duty knockout power. Roberts is a different type of fighter. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more liberty to do some striking.”

On the year he hopes to have in 2012: “Anthony kind of put me in my place and made me reassess how I was going to go about progressing. Beating Daniel will be solid for me. It will hopefully help me develop as a fighter. Then after that, I’m not looking to get a contender. I don’t know if I would deserve a contender right away, but it’s one of those things where I’m just looking at this year … to solidify myself and my career in the welterweight division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:13).

Marcos Galvao defends bantamweight title against Eduardo Dantas at Bellator 144

Bellator bantamweight champion Marcos Galvao will put his title on the line in October. "Loro", who captured the 135-pound belt with a second-round submission victory over Joe Warren in March, will l read news >>

Anthony Johnson Says Boring Fighters Should Get Taxed 10%

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson comments on the current state of the light heavyweight division, and what should be done against boring fighter. read news >>

Anthony Johnson: Ryan Bader deserved next UFC title shot, but he's just not that entertaining

Is "Rumble" the voice of reason in the light heavyweight division? When Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) tapped former light heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson to face newly-minted read news >>

Five Bouts Confirmed for UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Duffy Fight Card

On Saturday, October 24 UFC will make its highly anticipated return to Dublin, Ireland and the fight card is beginning to take shape with five newly added bouts. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event in Nashville, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to read news >>

Anthony Johnson 'very surprised' Alexander Gustafsson is getting next title shot

Anthony Johnson left Alexander Gustafsson bloodied and beaten on the mat back in January in Sweden, the victim of a vicious first-round knockout. Now, though, in his next fight, Gustafsson will be ge read news >>

Ronda Rousey Losing UFC Fans' Interest, Claims Confident Miesha Tate

Ronda Rousey’s punishing displays in the Octagon may have made her instantly recognisable for casual sports fans across the globe, but according to Miesha Tate, a lot of UFC fanatics are becoming a l read news >>

Cathal Pendred: I'm fighting Tom Breese at UFC Dublin in October

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has paired off Cathal Pendred and Tom Breese for a welterweight battle at the upcoming UFC Fight Night 77: "Poirier vs. Duffy" mixed martial arts (MMA) event, boo read news >>

UFC 190 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for UFC 190’s losing fighters?

With UFC 190 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 190’s losing fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>