Charlie Brenneman just couldn’t get going against Anthony Johnson in October, losing 2:49 into the first round on a head kick.

He’ll look to bounce back Jan. 20, though, against Daniel Roberts at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.” Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, his loss to Johnson and more.

On what went wrong against Johnson: “A thing that makes a good wrestler a great wrestler in MMA is the ability to throw punches and then transition to takedowns right off of that. In the Johnson fight, I looked like a novice. I don’t even know if I threw one punch. I was diving with my head down and my arms flared out. … I think I respected his standup way too much and then that threw me off of my game completely.”

On whether referee Mario Yamasaki intervened too quickly: “I’m kind of in the position of, it happened, so it really doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks. He definitely clocked me. The ref, Yamasaki, jumped in and he wasn’t looking at me. He was actually facing Anthony when he jumped in. I think he kind of assumed that I was going to be out cold. I wasn’t out cold. Did he definitely rock me? Yes, it rocked me. I don’t have any idea if I would have been able to grab him and hold him or if he would have just catapulted on top of me. It’s really hard to say. In hindsight, I’m healthy. I live to fight another day. That’s all right with me.”

On Daniel Roberts: “He’s durable, to say the least. He’s one of those guys that people might say, ‘Brenneman should beat him,’ but he’s so dangerous and explosive with his submissions. … If I go into it anything other than 100 percent, then I’m not going to be on the good end of it.”

On Roberts’ submission ability: “I don’t think I’ll be able to just sit [in the guard] and waste time comfortably. … He’s just really good in scrambles. Any shots that I take, any finishes that I take, it’s got to be right to dominant position. Anytime that I stop halfway, that’s going to leave me open and leave me vulnerable.”

On whether he’ll look to strike with Roberts: “This is a fight where, I think, with the proper game plan, I’ll be able to keep him guessing. I always say that three out of my last four opponents had bricks for hands. If you look at [Johny] Hendricks, [Rick] Story and Anthony Johnson, those are all heavy-duty strikers with heavy-duty knockout power. Roberts is a different type of fighter. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more liberty to do some striking.”

On the year he hopes to have in 2012: “Anthony kind of put me in my place and made me reassess how I was going to go about progressing. Beating Daniel will be solid for me. It will hopefully help me develop as a fighter. Then after that, I’m not looking to get a contender. I don’t know if I would deserve a contender right away, but it’s one of those things where I’m just looking at this year … to solidify myself and my career in the welterweight division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:13).

Why Anthony Johnson isn’t fighting Jon Jones on short notice at UFC 197

Anthony Johnson was the first option that came to mind when news broke that Daniel Cormier was injured and would be unable to fight Jon Jones at UFC 197. So why didn’t Johnson get the call instead of read news >>

Why Anthony Johnson isn’t Fighting Jon Jones at UFC 197?

Why didn't Anthony "Rumble" Johnson get the call to fight Jon Jones at UFC 197? UFC president Dana White explains. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 co-headliner Gabriel Gonzaga wasn’t too worried about losing his job

All appearances to the contrary, longtime UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga said he didn’t fight to avoid losing his job in his last outing. He had more immediate concerns.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 86 event in Croatia, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of tho read news >>

Anthony Johnson not happy with claims he turned down Jon Jones fight at UFC 197

When Ovince Saint Preux was announced as Daniel Cormier’s replacement against Jon Jones at UFC 197, UFC President Dana White was clear why Anthony Johnson wasn’t the man who got the call.Filed under: read news >>

UFC on FOX 19’s Glover Teixeira would fight Anthony Johnson next, but focused on Evans

TAMPA, Fla. – UFC light heavyweight Glover Teixeira isn’t one to call out his next opponent, but he wouldn’t mind a fight with onetime title challenger Anthony Johnson.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

Dana White on Glover Teixeira's callout of Anthony Johnson: 'I like that fight'

Glover Teixeira called out Anthony Johnson following his knockout of Rashad Evans at UFC on FOX 19. It appears he might get his wish.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Anthony Johnson has 4 screws in his mouth and zero care whether he gets next title shot

TAMPA, Fla. – Anthony Johnson said his manager had barely gotten out the words “Would you like to fight Jon Jones?” when he said no.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 153's Patricio Freire plans to keep breaking records on way back to title

For his first fight back after losing Bellator’s featherweight title, things could’ve been a little better for Patricio Freire. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>