Charlie Brenneman just couldn’t get going against Anthony Johnson in October, losing 2:49 into the first round on a head kick.

He’ll look to bounce back Jan. 20, though, against Daniel Roberts at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.” Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, his loss to Johnson and more.

On what went wrong against Johnson: “A thing that makes a good wrestler a great wrestler in MMA is the ability to throw punches and then transition to takedowns right off of that. In the Johnson fight, I looked like a novice. I don’t even know if I threw one punch. I was diving with my head down and my arms flared out. … I think I respected his standup way too much and then that threw me off of my game completely.”

On whether referee Mario Yamasaki intervened too quickly: “I’m kind of in the position of, it happened, so it really doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks. He definitely clocked me. The ref, Yamasaki, jumped in and he wasn’t looking at me. He was actually facing Anthony when he jumped in. I think he kind of assumed that I was going to be out cold. I wasn’t out cold. Did he definitely rock me? Yes, it rocked me. I don’t have any idea if I would have been able to grab him and hold him or if he would have just catapulted on top of me. It’s really hard to say. In hindsight, I’m healthy. I live to fight another day. That’s all right with me.”

On Daniel Roberts: “He’s durable, to say the least. He’s one of those guys that people might say, ‘Brenneman should beat him,’ but he’s so dangerous and explosive with his submissions. … If I go into it anything other than 100 percent, then I’m not going to be on the good end of it.”

On Roberts’ submission ability: “I don’t think I’ll be able to just sit [in the guard] and waste time comfortably. … He’s just really good in scrambles. Any shots that I take, any finishes that I take, it’s got to be right to dominant position. Anytime that I stop halfway, that’s going to leave me open and leave me vulnerable.”

On whether he’ll look to strike with Roberts: “This is a fight where, I think, with the proper game plan, I’ll be able to keep him guessing. I always say that three out of my last four opponents had bricks for hands. If you look at [Johny] Hendricks, [Rick] Story and Anthony Johnson, those are all heavy-duty strikers with heavy-duty knockout power. Roberts is a different type of fighter. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more liberty to do some striking.”

On the year he hopes to have in 2012: “Anthony kind of put me in my place and made me reassess how I was going to go about progressing. Beating Daniel will be solid for me. It will hopefully help me develop as a fighter. Then after that, I’m not looking to get a contender. I don’t know if I would deserve a contender right away, but it’s one of those things where I’m just looking at this year … to solidify myself and my career in the welterweight division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:13).

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Anthony Johnson, Dan Tom, Jeff Meyer, Bryan Lindsey

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Anthony Johnson, Dan Tom, Jeff Meyer and Bryan Lindsey.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Video: Ronda Rousey is the Biggest Star in the UFC, Bigger than Conor McGregor

Despite losing to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in November, UFC president Dana White says that "Ronda Rousey is still the biggst star in the UFC." read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2122 with Anthony Johnson, Bryan Lindsey, Jeff Meyer, Dan Tom

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Johnson, Paul Bradley, Steve Hanoian and Dan Tom.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 headliner Anthony Johnson plans on retiring within three years

Veteran UFC fighter Anthony Johnson is on the cusp of another title shot in the light heavyweight division, but he’s already got plans to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After losing to Nate Diaz, Michael Johnson wants 'anybody No. 1 through 16'

UFC lightweight Michael Johnson is ready to get back on the horse after closing out his 2015 campaign with back-to-back losses.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-champ T.J. Dillashaw on narrow UFC title loss: 'I just don't understand'

BOSTON – It’s bad enough losing a fight. It’s even worse when the sport’s biggest prize is on the line. But it’s a downright travesty when you feel like you actually deserved the victory.Filed under: read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event at Boston’s TD Garden, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to r read news >>

UFC Road to the Octagon: Anthony Johnson vs. Ryan Bader

Top UFC light heavyweight contenders Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and Ryan Bader do battle in the main event of UFC Fight Night Newark. read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 Free Fight Video: Anthony Johnson Demolishes Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104

Anthony Johnson won his fifth consecutive fight by KO when he took down Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104. Don't miss "Rumble" in the UFC on FOX 18 main event against Ryan Bader. read news >>

After losing headliner, UFC 196 shifts from pay-per-view to FOX Sports 1

Next week’s UFC 196 event will come without the usual hefty pay-per-view price tag.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>