MFC logo

While his win over Drew Fickett at this past Friday’s MFC 30 event in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada didn’t quite go as he anticipated, Brian Cobb is happy having the victory and have placed himself atop the promotion’s lightweight division.

“I wasn’t intending on making the fight exciting by putting myself in danger, but if that’s what I had to do to win this time, I think it was better than jumping in Drew’s guard and trying to play with fire there,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Early on in their fight, Fickett was able to secure Cobb’s back standing and then the fight went to the ground. Cobb was able to defend Fickett’s submission attempts, although there was a moment where he was in serious trouble.

“He actually had the elbow sunk underneath my chin and I was able to shift my weight over to the left; and as we did I was able to catch his hand before it slid behind my head and lock it in,” said Cobb. “It was tight. I was gurgling and making sounds that didn’t sound too good.”

Cobb was able to persevere and eventually turned the tide on Fickett and ended the fight with a barrage of unanswered strikes, giving him the win.

“He made one little mistake with his legs, and I was able to reverse position and capitalize,” said Cobb. “I wasn’t expecting to end the fight then, but was hoping to maybe steal the round on a couple of judges’ scorecards or put him in a position where he was going to be really tired in that little break between rounds.

“The way I look at it, maybe he could have tried to look for a sweep or tried to pull me in and stop the punches, but he wasn’t throwing a lot my way and didn’t really give the referee any options (but to stop the fight).”

With the win, Cobb feels he’s now at or near the top of the MFC’s lightweight division, and is looking to go after the promotion’s title next.

“I feel like it was a number one contender’s fight for sure,” he said. “I feel like it definitely was his and I took it from him. I don’t know who I would be fighting, but it would be nice to get a shot at the MFC belt.

“In my humble opinion, prior to that fight, I felt that it was a high enough caliber fight that it could have been a title fight against Drew, but (a title fight) is definitely what I feel is next.”

The last fighter to physically hold the title is Antonio McKee, who is currently recovering from injury. Cobb feels McKee would present title-worthy opposition.

“I want to fight the best guy and I think that would be a good match-up,” he said. “It would be wrestler vs. wrestler; and while I know he’s real strong, I’ve got good jiu-jitsu.

“I’ll definitely try to be smarter if I fight McKee (than I was against Fickett), and know his strengths and play my game away from those.”

After a disappointingly short stint in the UFC, Cobb has put his career back in a place where he can truly capitalize on the opportunities presented him and become a star in his own right.

“I just want to thank all my sponsors, my wife, everybody here in Bakersfield and God for bringing me back home to California safely,” he concluded. “I want to thank everybody for helping get me some attention and help get my name out there more.

“The more often I can fight, the better it is for my career to build up a bigger fan base. I’m definitely looking to get myself out there worldwide and grow my name.”

The State of the UFC Flyweight Division

The flyweight division has the distinction of being the UFC's only weight class to have had just one champion. While this absence of parity can partly be attributed to the division's recent inception read news >>

Video: UFC Fight Night 81’s Rob Font feels he practically cheated in UFC debut

BOSTON – UFC bantamweight Rob Font isn’t making a big deal about his knockout win over George Roop, so you shouldn’t either. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

The State of the UFC Men's Bantamweight Division

These bantamweight dynasties—they don’t last forever. Just ask T.J. Dillashaw. On Sunday, it was Dominick Cruz bringing Dillashaw’s reign to a crashing halt after 20 months on top of the men’s 135-po read news >>

Back at 155, Sanchez Faces Miller at UFC 197

After a one-fight experiment in the featherweight division, Diego Sanchez will move back to 155 pounds on Saturday, March 5 when he faces Jim Miller in a UFC FIGHT PASS featured bout on the UFC 197 c read news >>

Former M-1 Challenge heavyweight champ Marcin Tybura signs deal with UFC

The UFC has a new addition to its heavyweight division in the form of an ex-M-1 Challenge champion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The State of the UFC Featherweight Division

The UFC featherweight division is a tale of two realities. On one hand, it boasts the most marketable champion in mixed martial arts, Conor McGregor. In short order, he has built himself into a cash- read news >>

The State of the UFC Lightweight Division

No division in the UFC boasts a deeper roster of talented fighters than lightweight. The promotion's 155-pounders run the gamut from brutal pressure fighters to suffocating wrestlers to flashy strike read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 Results: Ben Rothwell Submits Josh Barnett

“Big” Ben Rothwell sent a message to the rest of the heavyweight division on Saturday by submitting former champion Josh Barnett in the UFC on FOX 18 co-main event. read news >>

Ben Rothwell: Belt is secondary; my No. 1 priority is laying waste to entire division

NEWARK, N.J. – UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell wasn’t going to do a silly dance in the octagon or laugh maniacally in the event of a win over Josh Barnett at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 18.Filed under: Featur read news >>