Jorge Gurgel ripped Tyler Combs as a “poor excuse of a man” for withdrawing from their March 5 Strikeforce bout, but Combs says his injury is legit.

Tyler Combs just did the cowardly thing that I knew he was going to do, and he pulled out,” Gurgel said on the Sherdog Radio Network just days before the event. “He’s not injured whatsoever. He’s walking around, and that’s not a speculation. That’s a fact. I have a lot of friends in common.”

However, Combs explained that walking around was irrelevant because he had injured a hand that already has a metal plate and pins in it.

“Actually the injury occurred Monday night [Feb. 28] after my second session of training,” Combs said on “Beatdown.” “I heard Jorge’s interview on your guys’ radio show, and he is saying that it’s a leg injury, which is false. I actually reinjured my hand that I broke a year ago and had to have surgery on. I pulled out Tuesday [March 1]. I’d given my hand a day to hopefully get a little better. After Tuesday, I couldn’t even make a fist. By then I kind of realized that it wouldn’t be a good idea to fight with one hand.”

Gurgel suggested that Combs had withdrawn because prior sparring sessions did not go well for him.

“I’ve knocked him out before, a couple of times, and I knew he wasn’t going to step up into the cage with me,” he said. “He knows he doesn’t belong in the cage with me. … I knew he wouldn’t want me to do what I was going to do to him in front of his family and everybody that likes him. He chose the easy way out.”

Combs has a different take on the training session. He explained that he and Gurgel both work with muay Thai coach Neal Rowe, who invited Combs to Gurgel’s camp to help him prepare for a fight.

“One training session, we were just going light, maybe like 50 percent, not trying to hurt each other,” Combs said. “After about two rounds of me just moving around too much and pretty much getting in and out of Jorge’s range, Jorge decided to take it up a notch and throw a head kick that was probably harder than a ‘Cro Cop’ head kick and pretty much put me on my butt. I wasn’t aware of the fact that we were going to go as hard as we were or I’d have went a little harder. Jorge was just getting frustrated that I was getting the better of him. … Even Neal said, ‘He was getting frustrated that you were getting the better of him and he threw a head kick that was way, way harder.’”

Gurgel ended up scoring a quick submission over Combs’ replacement, Billy Vaughan, at the Strikeforce event. Combs is still interested in the matchup. He believes it would look like the typical Gurgel bout, with two fighters slugging it out, except this time the combatants would genuinely dislike each other.

“Whenever my hand heals up and I’m able to start training again hard,” Combs said, “I’d like to get that fight on the road.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:00).

Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.

Daniel Cormier Explains Injury and #AnybodyButJon Movement (Video)

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier explains how the injury occurred that forced him out of his rematch with former titleholder Jon Jones at UFC 197. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Video: UFC 196 Withdrawal, Conor McGregor, and What’s Next?

Rafael Dos Anjos gave an update on his injury recovery, hinted about his next opponent, and talked about Conor McGregor and the featherweight belt. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor is Clean… and so is Yoel Romero

On this episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen defends Yoel Romero and Conor McGregor amidst accusations of performance-enhancing drug use. read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos Defends UFC Lightweight Title from Eddie Alvarez on Fight Pass

UFC Fight Night 90 kicks off a triple header on July 7 in Las Vegas, where Rafael dos Anjos will defend his lightweight title against Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Legit, or troll job? UFC champ Conor McGregor says he has 'decided to retire young'

We’re far enough past April Fool’s Day, so that’s out. But today, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor either made one of the most shocking retirement announcements in sports history, or he trol read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>

Jon Jones Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Shin and Return

UFC star Jon Jones is dealing with a bruised shin after defeating Ovince Saint Preux by unanimous decision to capture the interim 205-pound title belt at UFC 197 on Saturday. Continue for updates. Jo read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Arm and Recovery

Ovince Saint Preux had a golden opportunity at UFC 197, but he failed to capitalize and left the Octagon at a price. Continue for updates. Saint Preux Breaks Arm Saturday, April 23 UFC President Dana read news >>

'Pitbull' Freire says Bellator 153 win earned him title shot; will he wait for champ Straus?

Patricio Freire said an injury created a tougher fight than anticipated at Bellator 153. Nevertheless, he picked up the victory and expects a featherweight title shot as a result.Filed under: Bellato read news >>