Mike Swick waited two and a half years to make his UFC return, and after knocking out DaMarques Johnson at UFC on Fox 4, he wants to get back in the cage much quicker this time.

“I just had to get a little ring rust out and get back into the rhythm,” Swick told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “That’s what I’m trying to do now is get these fights and get back in there.”

Swick had not fought since Feb. 6, 2010, due to a variety of ailments, including a knee injury and an esophageal condition. At times it wasn’t clear if he’d ever fight again.

“I never gave up,” Swick said. “I definitely thought that there’s a chance it might not happen, that the body wouldn’t hold up or I wasn’t going to be able to make that return, but I also pushed for it as if it was possible and just hoped and worked hard. Each day I got better and better. I did a lot of research and figured out the diet, and once I got that, I felt great. Then I knew I was coming back.”

Johnson, who was a finalist on Season 9 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” gave Swick some serious trouble in the first round. At one point he had Swick mounted and was landing elbows, but in the second Swick caught a kick and knocked him out with a perfectly timed right hand.

“He definitely showed up,” Swick said. “He took some hard shots right in the beginning, those first two hard punches, and he was totally game. It was great. That’s the fight I wanted. I wanted to get in there and mix it up and have a go like that to kind of get me back in the rhythm. That was exactly what I wanted.”

Now Swick’s looking to get right back in the cage again, but first he plans on having the scar tissue in his knee cleaned up. It will be a quick procedure and has already been scheduled.

“I should be back doing cardio and training like maybe a week after,” Swick said. “It’s just a small sidetrack, and then hopefully I can get a fight soon. I want to get back in there.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 25:45).

Heading into WSOF 30, Steve Kozola Looking to Make the Most of Great Opportunity

Lightweight prospect Steve Kozola heads into Friday night's WSOF 30 looking to make the most of a great opportunity. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Injury Reportedly Sidelines Him for 4 to 6 Weeks

The injury knocking Daniel Cormier out of the UFC 197 main event will likely sideline him for four to six weeks. read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 86

We want your predictions for Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 86 event in Croatia, the promotion’s debut in that country. Vote in our polls for who you think will win on the next card. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stipe Miocic 'not going home alone' after UFC 198 title fight with Fabricio Werdum

Stipe Miocic is happy to make the long journey to Brazil and challenge Fabricio Werdum for the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 198. He’s not doing it to leave empty-handed, though.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Question: Did UFC Make a Mistake Booking Jon Jones vs. Ovince Saint Preux?

It’s a story MMA fans have grown distressingly used to hearing—news of a hotly anticipated fight canceled at the 11th hour, followed immediately by the obligatory news of a short-notice replacement. read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman were together on Wednesday morning on ESPN SportsCenter as they make the media rounds for their UFC 199 rematch. Rockhold, now UFC middleweight champion, took the stra read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Jacob Hebeisen Looking to Make Waves and Stay Busy in Legacy FC Debut

Jacob Hebeisen hasn't fought as often as he'd like in his 10-year career. All that changes on Friday night with Legacy FC 53. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

UFC Fight Night 86 in Zagreb, Croatia wasn't a jam-packed fight card that set the world on fire, but it did deliver on action and talking points. The fight card was headlined by Junior dos Santos vs. read news >>

BJ Penn V Dennis Siver Announced for UFC 199: Latest Comments, Details, Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn will reportedly make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 199 on June 4, where he'll face featherweight Dennis Siver. That's according to MMAjunkie, while Kevin I read news >>