After Chael Sonnen Removal, Wanderlei Silva Wants Vitor Belfort Rematch


After Chael Sonnen Removal, Wanderlei Silva Wants Vitor Belfort Rematch

Former PRIDE champion Wanderlei Silva apparently hasn't given up hopes of fighting at UFC 175 next month, calling for a rematch with Vitor Belfort since he is slated to face the dreaded "to be determined" at the moment. 

In light of Chael Sonnen failing a Nevada State Athletic Commission-administered random drug test for anti-estrogenic drugs, per ESPN, Silva wants back in the mix—even though Belfort was the one who replaced him in the first place. 

While "a source close to the organization" already told MMA Junkie Belfort may remain a part of the July 5 pay-per-view, it's a little early to start betting money on "The Axe Murderer" being his opponent. 

Belfort served as a replacement for Silva after Wanderlei refused a random drug test from the NSAC, and to make matters worse, he also didn't apply for his fighter's license in time. 

Nevertheless, the way Silva sees it, the whole situation was a big misunderstanding—mostly due to a language barrier—so the Brazilian brawler is still ready to go on July 5 if the situation calls for it. 

Now if this bizarre situation isn't unpredictable enough as it is, the kicker is that "The Phenom" is no lock to fight on the UFC's annual Fourth of July weekend card, either. 

Belfort admitted last week that he failed a random drug test for elevated levels of testosterone back on February 7, and his eligibility to compete rests in the hands of the NSAC, who will make a decision at their June 17 hearing. 

Belfort, like Sonnen, was an open user of testosterone replacement therapy, and this was not the first time he failed a drug test for performance-enhancing drugs. 

The Brazilian knockout specialist tested positive for the anabolic steroid 4-hydroxytestosterone after a decision loss to Dan Henderson at PRIDE 32 in October 2006, per MMA Weekly

Belfort and Silva fought all the way back in October 1998 at UFC Brazil, where Belfort scored a blistering knockout less than a minute into the light heavyweight contest. 

In the event that Belfort is licensed to fight at UFC 175, who would a suitable opponent be given the current unique set of circumstances?

John Heinis is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report. He is also the MMA editor for eDraft.com.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 47 views

The former UFC middleweight contender spoke with MMAmania.com to help promote his upcoming gig as analyst for Battlegrounds O.N.E. on October 3, 2014 alongside wrestling legend Jim Ross. With the rec read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 95 views

Wanderlei Silva recently came out of nowhere and announced his retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA), bashing his longtime employers over at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in the process. Se read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 22 views

According to "The Axe Murderer", a producer told him during the show to "heat things up somehow". Wanderlei Silva told Band Television that his brawl with Chael Sonnen was motivated by a request from read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 16 views

Chael Sonnen says he forgives Wanderlei Silva for the PED issues during the lead up to their bout. Chael Sonnen recently spoke to MMA Mania about Wanderlei Silva's recent issues with the commissions. read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 95 views

In a very Chael Sonnen-esque creative justification for his actions, former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen believes he and PRIDE legend Wanderlei Silva were simply victims of circumstance in MMA's read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 45 views

The confidant to many a UFC athlete, famed nutritionist Mike Dolce chalks much of the work he does with fighters as simply 'reacting to the body.' With the UFC's ban of testosterone replacement thera read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 163 views

Former Pride champion and UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva believes that while he was compensated fairly by the world's premier mixed martial arts organization, up-and-coming competitors deserve fatter ch read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 6 views

Former PRIDE champ and UFC veteran Wanderlei Silva is less than thrilled after being handed a lifetime ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Tuesday, and he isn't shy about saying so. The Axe M read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 7 views

LAS VEGAS -- Tim Kennedy is fighting in two days and hasn't been drug tested. This is a problem for Tim Kennedy, because as he'll be the first to tell you, Tim Kennedy could be pumped full of steroid read news >>