David Heath UFCThe fact that former UFC fighter David “Headhunter” Heath won his last fight this past March isn’t what makes it special. It’s the fact that he had the fight at all that makes it all the more important.

“I didn’t think I was going to fight again, which is why the break was so long,” said Heath of a 17-month gap between fights. “I was concentrating on my career (outside of fighting).

“I’d never really had much of a layoff in my whole career, so it was good to take a break and step back, heal up and get away from the sport a little bit.”

While he was happy to get a second-round TKO over Sidiah Parker, Heath wasn’t completely pleased with how he fought.

“I came out of it 100-percent unscathed, but I wasn’t too thrilled with my performance,” he said. “I was a little too inactive in the first round, too much feeling out and didn’t really throw a lot of combos.

“It gave me a good base though and something to work off of. That is something I’d like to do in this fight and that’s be more active.”

Heath will get a chance to put forth an effort more to his liking this Saturday as he takes on Chat “Hitman” Herrick at King of the Cage: Unification on Saturday night in Tulsa, Okla.

“I feel like I’m better than him in all facets of the sport,” said Heath of Herrick. “I think I’m going to have a very decisive edge in the stand-up part of it, but I don’t think that’s going to last long though, because I’m sure he’s going to try to take me down and make a wrestling match of it relatively quick.

“I’ve worked a lot on sharpening up my wrestling and I’ve always felt decent about my submission game, so no matter where the fight goes, I should have a pretty good advantage.”

If the fight does manage to stay standing for any length of time, Heath feels he’ll be able to showcase a side of his game that fans haven’t had much chance to see yet.

“I’d gotten complacent with working shots and getting out 100-percent safe, so I want to be a little more aggressive and take advantage of some angles and the technique advantage I’m going to have,” said Heath. “I want to push the pace a bit more.

“My cardio is as good as it’s been in the last couple fights and maybe in years than it’s been, so I want to go out and show people that I’m a scary striker and not just a precision striker.”

While he’s not quite sure what will follow in 2013, Heath feels there’s still gas enough left in the tank to keep things going if the opportunities come his way.

“I do have some time I can take some time off from work next year, so I could be open to doing more travelling and take some fights away from my hometown, but I can’t really say what the future holds for me,” said Heath. “This could be my last fight for all I know, but I doubt it, and I am a little more optimistic about my future.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Legacy FC 50 results: 'Cyborg' returns from lengthy layoff with decision win

Fighting for the first time in 21 months, Evangelista Santos outstruck fellow veteran Artenas Young en route to a clearcut decision win.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Ronda Rousey Hasn't Watched Tape of Holly Holm Fight

It's been more than two months since Ronda Rousey suffered her first career loss against Holly Holm at UFC 193, but the former women's bantamweight champion has not stopped to look at footage from th read news >>

Fernando Gonzalez vs. Michael Page gets Bellator 151 co-main event spot

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 151.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

UFC 196's Werdum vs. Velasquez headliner gets referee, judges

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today named the officials for next month’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Ten months after a brutal loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis is finally getting back in the ring. read news >>

Big things await Anthony Pettis if he can get by Eddie Alvarez (Yahoo Sports)

UFC Fight Night 81's Daron Cruickshank: 'Desperate animal is going to fight for its life'

BOSTON – Lightweight Daron Cruickshank’s career with the UFC has been bumpy to say the least. The “Detroit Superstar” has been shoved into the corner, and the way he sees it, he’s got only one way ou read news >>