David Heath UFCThe fact that former UFC fighter David “Headhunter” Heath won his last fight this past March isn’t what makes it special. It’s the fact that he had the fight at all that makes it all the more important.

“I didn’t think I was going to fight again, which is why the break was so long,” said Heath of a 17-month gap between fights. “I was concentrating on my career (outside of fighting).

“I’d never really had much of a layoff in my whole career, so it was good to take a break and step back, heal up and get away from the sport a little bit.”

While he was happy to get a second-round TKO over Sidiah Parker, Heath wasn’t completely pleased with how he fought.

“I came out of it 100-percent unscathed, but I wasn’t too thrilled with my performance,” he said. “I was a little too inactive in the first round, too much feeling out and didn’t really throw a lot of combos.

“It gave me a good base though and something to work off of. That is something I’d like to do in this fight and that’s be more active.”

Heath will get a chance to put forth an effort more to his liking this Saturday as he takes on Chat “Hitman” Herrick at King of the Cage: Unification on Saturday night in Tulsa, Okla.

“I feel like I’m better than him in all facets of the sport,” said Heath of Herrick. “I think I’m going to have a very decisive edge in the stand-up part of it, but I don’t think that’s going to last long though, because I’m sure he’s going to try to take me down and make a wrestling match of it relatively quick.

“I’ve worked a lot on sharpening up my wrestling and I’ve always felt decent about my submission game, so no matter where the fight goes, I should have a pretty good advantage.”

If the fight does manage to stay standing for any length of time, Heath feels he’ll be able to showcase a side of his game that fans haven’t had much chance to see yet.

“I’d gotten complacent with working shots and getting out 100-percent safe, so I want to be a little more aggressive and take advantage of some angles and the technique advantage I’m going to have,” said Heath. “I want to push the pace a bit more.

“My cardio is as good as it’s been in the last couple fights and maybe in years than it’s been, so I want to go out and show people that I’m a scary striker and not just a precision striker.”

While he’s not quite sure what will follow in 2013, Heath feels there’s still gas enough left in the tank to keep things going if the opportunities come his way.

“I do have some time I can take some time off from work next year, so I could be open to doing more travelling and take some fights away from my hometown, but I can’t really say what the future holds for me,” said Heath. “This could be my last fight for all I know, but I doubt it, and I am a little more optimistic about my future.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

The 10: The Best of the Best from the Best Month in UFC History

Take a look at the 10 best fights from one of the best fight months in UFC history. This is The 10 for July. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Amanda Nunes – All In

Before the biggest fight of her career against Miesha Tate at UFC 200, get an inside look at the life Amanda Nunes. read news >>

Jose Torres taking IMMAF success to the pros

Jose Torres's amateur career consisted of 25 consecutive wins and two world championship. Now he's finally in the pros and thus far his success is translating. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 200

UFC 200 is a huge event on many levels, but Mark Hunt and Brock Lesnar will make it gigantic in the most literal sense when they step into the cage Saturday night in the main event, after the UFC rem read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 200

After years of playing second fiddle to Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate finally became the champion of the women's bantamweight division at UFC 196. Now, she'll look to use the grand stage of UFC 200 to ke read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Earns 'Champion' Nickname with Career-Defining Comeback

When international fans struggle with her unwieldy last name, Joanna Jedrzejczyk likes to joke that we can just call her "Joanna Champion." In the wake of her stellar come-from-behind victory over Cl read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Julianna Pena Tops Cat Zingano in Featured Prelim

Julianna Pena picked up the biggest win of her UFC career on Saturday, beating Cat Zingano in the featured UFC 200 prelim fight at the T-Mobile in Las Vegas. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs Julianna Pena Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

After 16 months off, No. 3 bantamweight and former title contender Cat Zingano (9-2) faced Julianna Pena, the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate at UFC 200. After a promising f read news >>

For Dana White and Fertittas, UFC Sale Leaves Behind Complex Legacy

After months of intense negotiations, the deal has finally closed. As first reported by TMZ, the Ultimate Fighting Championship was sold for $4 billion to talent agency WME-IMG in the single biggest read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Medical Suspensions: Michael McDonald Sidelined for Two Months

Every fighter on the UFC Fight Night 91 event on Wednesday in Sioux Falls, S.D., was issued, at minimum, a precautionary medical suspension of 7 days. read news >>