After 17-Month Layoff, David Heath Taking it One Fight at a Time

• submit to reddit

David Heath UFCThe fact that former UFC fighter David “Headhunter” Heath won his last fight this past March isn’t what makes it special. It’s the fact that he had the fight at all that makes it all the more important.

“I didn’t think I was going to fight again, which is why the break was so long,” said Heath of a 17-month gap between fights. “I was concentrating on my career (outside of fighting).

“I’d never really had much of a layoff in my whole career, so it was good to take a break and step back, heal up and get away from the sport a little bit.”

While he was happy to get a second-round TKO over Sidiah Parker, Heath wasn’t completely pleased with how he fought.

“I came out of it 100-percent unscathed, but I wasn’t too thrilled with my performance,” he said. “I was a little too inactive in the first round, too much feeling out and didn’t really throw a lot of combos.

“It gave me a good base though and something to work off of. That is something I’d like to do in this fight and that’s be more active.”

Heath will get a chance to put forth an effort more to his liking this Saturday as he takes on Chat “Hitman” Herrick at King of the Cage: Unification on Saturday night in Tulsa, Okla.

“I feel like I’m better than him in all facets of the sport,” said Heath of Herrick. “I think I’m going to have a very decisive edge in the stand-up part of it, but I don’t think that’s going to last long though, because I’m sure he’s going to try to take me down and make a wrestling match of it relatively quick.

“I’ve worked a lot on sharpening up my wrestling and I’ve always felt decent about my submission game, so no matter where the fight goes, I should have a pretty good advantage.”

If the fight does manage to stay standing for any length of time, Heath feels he’ll be able to showcase a side of his game that fans haven’t had much chance to see yet.

“I’d gotten complacent with working shots and getting out 100-percent safe, so I want to be a little more aggressive and take advantage of some angles and the technique advantage I’m going to have,” said Heath. “I want to push the pace a bit more.

“My cardio is as good as it’s been in the last couple fights and maybe in years than it’s been, so I want to go out and show people that I’m a scary striker and not just a precision striker.”

While he’s not quite sure what will follow in 2013, Heath feels there’s still gas enough left in the tank to keep things going if the opportunities come his way.

“I do have some time I can take some time off from work next year, so I could be open to doing more travelling and take some fights away from my hometown, but I can’t really say what the future holds for me,” said Heath. “This could be my last fight for all I know, but I doubt it, and I am a little more optimistic about my future.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Although he lost a good chunk of time in his career, Stefan Struve is fortunate to be returning to the cage after a heart condition put his health at risk.Filed under: News, UFC more

For the first time in his 17 years with the organization, Mike Goldberg sat and watched an event live as a fan on Sunday during The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale. more

The Las Vegas fight boss has seemingly heard enough petulance from The 209.
Even though he has not fought since Nov. 2013 (per his choice), Nate Diaz has always found a way to stay in the headlines.
Mainly because of his ongoing feud with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which mostly centers around pay (or lack thereof). When he's not voicing his displeasure with his employer, Diaz is taking pot shots at his colleagues who are competing ... or who just so happen to have fights coming up.
Hi more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

Months after his retirement in 2011, Chuck Liddell talks with fans about what is next for his career after hanging up the gloves and made predictions about fights - did they come true? Back in March, 2011, I went to the UFC 128 weigh-ins in Newark, New Jersey to film them for my site. Before that got started, a special UFC Fight Club event was happening (for Fight Club members only), which was a question and answer session with Chuck Liddell. "The Iceman" had just recently retired only a few mon more

• an hour ago

Ryan Bader has had some big wins in his career, but perhaps none was bigger than what he did to Quinton Jackson. Ahead of his first UFC main event, see the full fight of Bader’s win over “Rampage” inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

Ronda Rousey is back in action, and this time the champion takes on No. 2-ranked contender Alexis Davis in the UFC 175 co-main event.
Rousey continued her undefeated career by destroying fellow Olympic medalist Sara McMann in just 66 seconds at UFC 170. She returns for her second trip to the Octagon in 2014 for her fourth title defense.
Davis has been selected to stand opposite Rousey because No. 1-ranked contender Cat Zingano is still on the shelf. Davis has five consecutive victories to her cr more

Mandatory vacations!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) -- acting as its own regulatory body overseas -- has released the UFC Fight Night 43 medical suspensions and corresponding injuries for those fighters competing at the "Te Huna vs. Marquardt" mixed martial arts (MMA) event last weekend (Sat., June 28, 2014) in Auckland, New Zealand.
And local hero Soa Palelei is leaving a little worse for the wear.
The heavyweight slugger joins Gian Villante, Mike Rhodes, and Charles Oliveira on the list more

Thiago Silva has an opponent for his first fight after his arrest.
Fight Time Promotions owner Howard Davis Jr. informed MMAFighting.com on Tuesday that UFC veteran Thiago Silva will headline the Fight Time 20 card against Bellator veteran Mike Hayes.
Fight Time 20 takes place at the War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. on Aug. 29.
Silva (16-3, 2 no-contest) will compete for the first time since being released from the UFC after being arrested on Feb. 6 following an alleged incident more