David Heath UFCThe fact that former UFC fighter David “Headhunter” Heath won his last fight this past March isn’t what makes it special. It’s the fact that he had the fight at all that makes it all the more important.

“I didn’t think I was going to fight again, which is why the break was so long,” said Heath of a 17-month gap between fights. “I was concentrating on my career (outside of fighting).

“I’d never really had much of a layoff in my whole career, so it was good to take a break and step back, heal up and get away from the sport a little bit.”

While he was happy to get a second-round TKO over Sidiah Parker, Heath wasn’t completely pleased with how he fought.

“I came out of it 100-percent unscathed, but I wasn’t too thrilled with my performance,” he said. “I was a little too inactive in the first round, too much feeling out and didn’t really throw a lot of combos.

“It gave me a good base though and something to work off of. That is something I’d like to do in this fight and that’s be more active.”

Heath will get a chance to put forth an effort more to his liking this Saturday as he takes on Chat “Hitman” Herrick at King of the Cage: Unification on Saturday night in Tulsa, Okla.

“I feel like I’m better than him in all facets of the sport,” said Heath of Herrick. “I think I’m going to have a very decisive edge in the stand-up part of it, but I don’t think that’s going to last long though, because I’m sure he’s going to try to take me down and make a wrestling match of it relatively quick.

“I’ve worked a lot on sharpening up my wrestling and I’ve always felt decent about my submission game, so no matter where the fight goes, I should have a pretty good advantage.”

If the fight does manage to stay standing for any length of time, Heath feels he’ll be able to showcase a side of his game that fans haven’t had much chance to see yet.

“I’d gotten complacent with working shots and getting out 100-percent safe, so I want to be a little more aggressive and take advantage of some angles and the technique advantage I’m going to have,” said Heath. “I want to push the pace a bit more.

“My cardio is as good as it’s been in the last couple fights and maybe in years than it’s been, so I want to go out and show people that I’m a scary striker and not just a precision striker.”

While he’s not quite sure what will follow in 2013, Heath feels there’s still gas enough left in the tank to keep things going if the opportunities come his way.

“I do have some time I can take some time off from work next year, so I could be open to doing more travelling and take some fights away from my hometown, but I can’t really say what the future holds for me,” said Heath. “This could be my last fight for all I know, but I doubt it, and I am a little more optimistic about my future.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

How Well Do You Remember the Career of Kimbo Slice?

Test your knowledge with a look back at the life and career of Kimbo Slice. read news >>

Ben Reiter Expecting to ‘Impose His Will’ at Bellator 156

Though he suffered the first loss of his career last November to Francisco France at Bellator 146, middleweight up-and-comer Ben Reiter doesn’t feel he was beaten in the fight. read news >>

Mike Santiago Taking Career to New Heights Heading into RFA 39

Following some rocky roads early on, Mike Santiago is taking his career to new heights heading into RFA 39. read news >>

Coming Off Long Layoff, Bellator’s John Salter Set to Show He’s Still High-Level

Having dealt with numerous injuries over the past few years, UFC veteran John Salter is ready to show that he should be in the Bellator title mix. read news >>

‘A Little Smarter’ Bobby Moffett Heads Into RFA 39 Bout Against Raoni Barcelos

Coming off the longest layoff of his MMA career, Bobby Moffett feels that he's learned from the experience and it will help him stay healthy in the future. read news >>

Joseph Gigliotti Hoping RFA 39 Leads to a UFC Debut

Following a nearly year-long layoff, middleweight prospect Joseph Gigliotti returned to MMA this past January and picked right up where he had left off in 2015. read news >>