Dominick Cruz and Scott Jorgensen - WEC 53

Dominick Cruz and Scott Jorgensen - WEC 53

Scott “Young Guns” Jorgensen (13-5) is one of the most exciting elite bantamweights in the UFC today.

Since he started fighting, up until recently, Jorgensen has never had a coach in mixed martial arts.  In a sport dominated by fighters with great strategies from brilliant coaches, the 29-year-old currently is ranked in the Top 10, having fought champion Dominick Cruz to a decision.

Now, seeing the error of his ways, Jorgensen knows what he has to do to climb the top of the mountain.  He has to strategize and fight smarter, but most importantly of all, he has to attack with the same aggression he had when he started.

“If you look at my fights from when I was coming up in the WEC, up until the point I fought Dominick, you’ll see a completely different Scott,” Jorgensen told MMAWeekly Radio Weekend Edition.

“I quit attacking like I used to.  I wasn’t trying to close the gap and get in there to hurt people. And that’s definitely going to change.  I had great conversations with a couple of really good coaches in the striking game and opportunities with them.  They’re well renowned, not just great coaches themselves, they’re also great game planners.”

For years, Jorgensen used to train with just his friends who were exceptional at what they do, but never properly strategized.  Training out of Boise, Idaho, the former three-time Pac-10 wrestler would hear multiple voices in his corner. At times he would have to take a blind eye to things and not pay attention to what was said in his corner.

“I failed to ever have a coach.  A lot of people look at me like, ‘you’re where you’re at; you’ve had to have had Greg Jackson or somebody,’ but no, I’ve done this all myself.  I’ve got a bunch of friends that I train with and Kit Cope is the closest thing I’ve had to a coach, but never.  Some of my problems in my fights with my buddies are that I got three different people going in three different directions. Sometimes I’d block things out, and sometimes when you block things out you turn a blind eye to actually what’s really going on inside the cage and you miss things.”

“It’s like the Barao fight, my corner I got Jesse telling me to move my head and get inside, I got Joe screaming to take him down, and I got my jiu-jitsu coach waiting for something to hit the ground. So I’m blocking it out and just going with the flow.  I didn’t feel in danger with Barao.  I didn’t feel like I was getting completely crushed, but I felt like I didn’t have someone guiding me with someone going, ‘hey, don’t play the points game,’ or ‘throw more than one jab at a time,’ or ‘one cross and then move.’  I avoided a lot of strikes, but I wasn’t throwing three or four punches that actually open up takedowns.”

Now with the proper strategy and coaches on his side, Jorgensen feels almost reborn in the UFC, looking to get back into title contention. It’s hard to see otherwise, as the former No. 1 bantamweight contender has seemingly made it to the top with little guidance.

Jorgensen will next step in the Octagon against Eddie Wineland at UFC on FX 3 on June 8.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Mike Dolce: After coaches meeting, Ronda Rousey plotting return and 'world domination'

This past month, renowned MMA nutritionist Mike Dolce found himself in Los Angeles for a “coaches meeting” with longtime client Ronda Rousey.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

Cast revealed for Season 23 of 'The Ultimate Fighter' with coaches Jedrzejczyk, Gadelha

Season 23 “The Ultimate Fighter,” the UFC’s long-running reality competition, debuts in two weeks on FOX Sports 1, and today the cast was revealed. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin to Coach TUF Latin America 3

For the first time in UFC history, the The Ultimate Fighter series will feature two UFC legends and Hall of Famers, Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, as coaches. read news >>

The Comeback: 'Rumble' not happy, new 'TUF' coaches, greasing-allegation fallout

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Monday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Bella read news >>

Ben Askren Dominates, Remains Undefeated at ONE: Global Rivals

Ben Askren went the distance for the first time in three years at ONE: Global Rivals in order to keep his undefeated record intact. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Darrell Horcher video highlights

Khabib Nurmagomedov returned to action for the first time in two years at UFC on FOX 19, and while it wasn’t the bout with Tony Ferguson fans wanted to see, he dominated late-replacement Darrell Horc read news >>

Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson 2 Announced for Bellator 158: Comments, Reaction

For the first time in eight years, Kimbo Slice and James Thompson will throw down in the Octagon. On Sunday, Bellator President Scott Coker announced on SportsCenter that Slice-Thompson II will take read news >>

Unlike UFC 151, White says Jon Jones overruled coaches to stay on UFC 197

UFC President Dana White doesn’t seem entirely positive Jon Jones would have fought replacement opponent Ovince Saint Preux on Saturday at UFC 197 if his coaching staff had a final say in the matter. read news >>

Jon Jones says he feels alive before UFC 197, and would gladly headline UFC 200

LAS VEGAS – With a whole slew of issues now in what he hopes is the rearview mirror, Jon Jones is keeping a positive outlook ahead of his return. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>