Jake Ellenberger UFC 126UFC on FX 5 welterweight Jake “The Juggernaut” Ellenberger has a chip on his shoulder.

Back in June, The Juggernaut suffered the harshest loss of his career after eating a devastating knee and ground and pound from Martin Kampmann.

The 28-year-old didn’t stay at home and sulk for long.  He knew he had to change up his training to get back into being considered a contender once more. In order to get back to prominence in the division, however, Ellenberger must erase his first-ever loss in MMA, to Jay Hieron, and do so in exciting fashion at the Target Center on Friday night.

“The first time we fought, I didn’t even take training seriously,” Ellenberger told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I didn’t even take my career seriously.  He took me down and won a decision, but this fight I think it’s going to be an exciting fight.  I’m looking forward to it for sure.

“It’s very unsettling the way the last fight went, obviously.  I made a lot of changes from the last fight to this fight.  There’s a lot of things I could’ve done personally and I think I have addressed those for this fight.  It’s more than revenge.  I want to make a statement.  It’s what I want to do to get back into being a contender.”

Revenge remains a forethought in Ellenberger’s mind as he readies for the co-main event in Minneapolis.  It’s all about performing in devastating fashion and leaving the UFC fans in awe.

Even though he’s favored to win, Ellenberger is a little bit bothered by the fans and media completely writing Hieron off.  He knows that Hieron is a cardio machine and is a world-class fighter even after he takes it to him on Friday night.

“If anybody knows the sport of MMA, they know that Jay Hieron is not a bum.  He’s not a guy that they brought in from the street.  He’s had a lot of fights.  He’s had a lot of high-level fights.  There’s absolutely no easy fights in the UFC.  For me, I’m focusing on what I can get better at and being confident in what I know.

“I’ve watched his last few fights, he’s definitely a different fighter.  He’s grown.  I don’t think he’s a completely different fighter, no.  He’s definitely made some improvements.  This whole training cycle has been focused on me winning in every possible transition and in every possible scenario.  Jay’s going to be in shape and he’s going to be ready.”

The only thing that weighs on Ellenberger’s mind is being a top contender at welterweight.  And after UFC on FX 5 is over, The Juggernaut believes he’ll have reminded us all how he’s a threat in the division.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your UFC on FX 5 fight coverage.

Julianna Pena Wants a Title Shot After Valentina Shevchenko or She Quits | MMAWeekly.com

Julianna Pena headlines her first UFC when she squares off with Valentina Shevchenko at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver, but she's not happy about it. read news >>

UFC 206: The Thrill and The Agony Video | MMAWeekly.com

Go behind the scenes for the highs and lows of UFC 206 featuring Cub Swanson, Dooho Choi, Donald Cerrone, Matt Brown, Anthony Pettis, and Max Holloway. read news >>

UFC on FOX 22 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 22 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of those reactions. read news >>

After UFC on FOX 22 loss, Sage Northcutt again changing divisions

Sage Northcutt is returning to the division where his UFC career began in such promising fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Hector Sandoval injured hip in first round against Fredy Serrano

SACRAMENTO – UFC flyweight Hector Sandoval didn’t think much of Freddy Serrano and predicted a second-round finish in their UFC Fight Pass prelim at UFC on FOX 22. Fate had something else in mind.Fil read news >>

Disappointed Sultan Aliev admits playing it safe against Bojan Velickovic at UFC on FOX 22

SACRAMENTO – After nearly two years on the sidelines and a knockout loss in his UFC debut, welterweight Sultan Aliev admitted he was weighed down by pressure at UFC on FOX 22.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC-debut win, Paul Craig 'won't accept anything less' than top-15 competition

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – After handing Luis Henrique da Silva his first career loss, Scottish light heavyweight Paul Craig is already thinking big: "I’m going to make waves within the UFC’s light-heavywe read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Eddie Wineland wants off UFC Fight Pass so he can avoid Best Buy

SACRAMENTO – Among UFC bantamweight Eddie Wineland’s first words backstage to UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby were “no more Fight Pass,” with an expletive thrown in for good measure.Filed under: Featured read news >>

The UFC Women's Featherweight Title Is a Conspiracy in the Making

It’s been the better part of a week now, and still none of this is sitting right. The UFC announced last week UFC 208 would feature a women’s featherweight title fight, a concession to the excellence read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22: Waterson, Gall and uncensored Cruz vs. Garbrandt

Check out 10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22 – some of which took place in the cage and a few outside of it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>