Jake Ellenberger UFC 126UFC on FX 5 welterweight Jake “The Juggernaut” Ellenberger has a chip on his shoulder.

Back in June, The Juggernaut suffered the harshest loss of his career after eating a devastating knee and ground and pound from Martin Kampmann.

The 28-year-old didn’t stay at home and sulk for long.  He knew he had to change up his training to get back into being considered a contender once more. In order to get back to prominence in the division, however, Ellenberger must erase his first-ever loss in MMA, to Jay Hieron, and do so in exciting fashion at the Target Center on Friday night.

“The first time we fought, I didn’t even take training seriously,” Ellenberger told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I didn’t even take my career seriously.  He took me down and won a decision, but this fight I think it’s going to be an exciting fight.  I’m looking forward to it for sure.

“It’s very unsettling the way the last fight went, obviously.  I made a lot of changes from the last fight to this fight.  There’s a lot of things I could’ve done personally and I think I have addressed those for this fight.  It’s more than revenge.  I want to make a statement.  It’s what I want to do to get back into being a contender.”

Revenge remains a forethought in Ellenberger’s mind as he readies for the co-main event in Minneapolis.  It’s all about performing in devastating fashion and leaving the UFC fans in awe.

Even though he’s favored to win, Ellenberger is a little bit bothered by the fans and media completely writing Hieron off.  He knows that Hieron is a cardio machine and is a world-class fighter even after he takes it to him on Friday night.

“If anybody knows the sport of MMA, they know that Jay Hieron is not a bum.  He’s not a guy that they brought in from the street.  He’s had a lot of fights.  He’s had a lot of high-level fights.  There’s absolutely no easy fights in the UFC.  For me, I’m focusing on what I can get better at and being confident in what I know.

“I’ve watched his last few fights, he’s definitely a different fighter.  He’s grown.  I don’t think he’s a completely different fighter, no.  He’s definitely made some improvements.  This whole training cycle has been focused on me winning in every possible transition and in every possible scenario.  Jay’s going to be in shape and he’s going to be ready.”

The only thing that weighs on Ellenberger’s mind is being a top contender at welterweight.  And after UFC on FX 5 is over, The Juggernaut believes he’ll have reminded us all how he’s a threat in the division.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your UFC on FX 5 fight coverage.

Manny Pacquiao: I thought I won the fight; Mayweather ‘didn’t do nothing’

Manny Pacquiao believes he defeated Floyd Mayweather on Saturday night’s ‘Fight of the Century.’ On Saturday night, the combat sports universe collectively tuned in for the biggest fight in a generat read news >>

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Floyd says he's relinquishing all his titles

Floyd Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao tonight, and stated at the post-fight press conference that he's going to drop all of his titles. Floyd Mayweather is used to media attention, but that doesn' read news >>

Stipe Miocic: fire-fighting sports star aims to silence Mark Hunt

The Croatian-American received interest from Major League Baseball in college, before turning his hand to both wrestling (where he achieved a NCAA Division I ranking) and boxing (where he earned a "G read news >>

On Eve of MMA Retirement, Mark Munoz Sells Reign Training Center

Reign Training Center, the California MMA gym that cultivated standouts like Jake Ellenberger and Uriah Hall, is no more. That's according to Mark Munoz, the UFC middleweight who owns the center and read news >>

Randa Markos admits Aisling Daly's pre-fight comments 'bothered' her

MONTREAL -- Randa Markos, who defeated Aisling Daly via unanimous decision at UFC 186, discusses her performance, the strawweight division, if she's in the mix for a title shot, when she wants to fig read news >>

Valerie Letourneau says she was feeling 'terrible' after tough weight cut

MONTREAL -- Valerie Letourneau, who defeated Jessica Rakoczy via unanimous decision at UFC 186, discusses her performance, why the win was special, her tough weight cut, and more. read news >>

Keys to Victory! UFC 186: 'Johnson vs. Horiguchi'

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson aims to defend his title for a sixth successful time when he takes on Japanese Karate standout Kyoji Horiguchi inside of the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada read news >>

UFC Bantamweight Division Has Been Quiet Despite the Talent and Rivalries

Before Aljamain Sterling defeated Takeya Mizugaki in New Jersey last weekend, the UFC bantamweight division was extremely quiet. There were no notable fights in the division after T.J. Dillashaw upse read news >>

Frankie Edgar picking against Conor McGregor, aims to take belt from Jose Aldo

Top contender Frankie Edgar admits he’s been impressed with Conor McGregor’s run to the top but believes Jose Aldo will ultimately keep his belt.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vid read news >>